Family Prestige

The Commentator

Generally the older the house- the more prestigious.

So like in the Reach, families like the Hightowers, Florents, Rowans and Oakhearts would have a great amount of prestige, even more so than Tyrell.

Out of great houses, the Arryns and Lannisters probably have the most prestige. The Arryns specifically stand as the pinnacle of Andal culture. The Starks are prestigious too, but I feel the reverence for them dwindles down south. Maybe the Martells too, but I feel they're looked down on for being Dornish. The Daynes and Yronwoods are probably the most prestigious in Dorne.

So when I think of universal prestige, I think of Arryn, Lannister (maybe up until recent events) and probably Hightower. Starks in the North, obviously.

So like in the Reach, families like the Hightowers, Florents, Rowans and Oakhearts would have a great amount of prestige, even more so than Tyrell.

Out of great houses, the Arryns and Lannisters probably have the most prestige. The Arryns specifically stand as the pinnacle of Andal culture. The Starks are prestigious too, but I feel their reverence dwindles down south. Maybe the Martells too, but I feel they're looked down on for being Dornish. The Daynes and Yronwoods are probably the most prestigious in Dorne.

So when I think of universal prestige, I think of Arryn, Lannister (maybe up until recent events) and probably Hightower. Starks in the North, obviously.

Yes, I too feel the Martells are looked down upon, though I'm not sure if it's for simply being Dornish.

Obviously each region is going to have their biases, but if you're looking for one that resonates across Westeros it's probably the Lannisters. They're one of the oldest surviving houses in general (to say nothing being a Great House to boot), were kings in their own right, manage a very important city, and have the PR advantage of being rich and good-looking. They've kept their region is relative order for most of their history, and are one of the only houses to have been active in every major war in the unified Westeros (though admittedly a lot of their former leaders got their asses handed to them in the field). Of course north of the Neck they're eclipsed by the Starks, but the name Lannister means a great deal anywhere in the South, even pre-Tywin.

Obviously each region is going to have their biases, but if you're looking for one that resonates across Westeros it's probably the Lannisters. They're one of the oldest surviving houses in general (to say nothing being a Great House to boot), were kings in their own right, manage a very important city, and have the PR advantage of being rich and good-looking. They've kept their region is relative order for most of their history, and are one of the only houses to have been active in every major war in the unified Westeros (though admittedly a lot of their former leaders got their asses handed to them in the field). Of course north of the Neck they're eclipsed by the Starks, but the name Lannister means a great deal anywhere in the South, even pre-Tywin.

There's a lot of stories about them...

I'd say that's quite different from having prestige.

The Starks stand out in the level of respect others have for them. Admiration almost. The Arryns are well regarded to. The Lannisters are respected as well, but more in the line of "fear". The Targaryens used to have the same kind of prestige that the Lannisters have now.  The Hightowers are more low-key nowadays, but they seem to be high in prestige as well. The Royces are a lesser version of the Hightowers it seems, and the Yronwoods as well - not as powerful but definitly well-respected. Tully and Tyrell are accepted, but despite their power they do not punch as high it seems to me. The Baratheons are heavy-weights but that's a very recent thing. The Greyjoys and Martells are outsiders to the people outside of their homeregion, but well-regarded within it, particularily the Martells.

Maybe it's me but I don't get "prestige" when I read about the Lannisters, granted we've only gotten reading from Tytos ruling till the current Lannosters but prestige is not somthing I would associate with them.

100 % right

Out of great houses, the Arryns and Lannisters probably have the most prestige. The Arryns specifically stand as the pinnacle of Andal culture. The Starks are prestigious too, but I feel the reverence for them dwindles down south. Maybe the Martells too, but I feel they're looked down on for being Dornish. The Daynes and Yronwoods are probably the most prestigious in Dorne.

I agree with what you wrote about the Arryns and Andal culture. The Lannisters are certainly a very prestigious family. But during Tywin's reign respect or fear probably overshadowed their prestige. Ned thinks in AGOT, that Lann the Clever is far more beloved by singers than Brandon the Builder. That could indicate a higher prestige. Or it could be because singers come to Casterly Rock more often than Winterfell.

The Tullys, the Baratheons and the Tyrells only came to their poisitions after Aegon's conquest. Old noble families often look down upon new money. The Tyrells with their humble origins and with older families as their vassals (Hightower, Florent) are affected most by this.

Their geographical distance puts the Starks out of view for most people. Their religion and first men culture also make them different from the rest of Westeros. Both those things probably have some effect on their prestige.

The Greyjoys are total outsiders.

Yes, I too feel the Martells are looked down upon, though I'm not sure if it's for simply being Dornish.

Well, their Rhoynar culture makes the main stream Westerosi look at them as "different" (see: the thoughts of Arys Oakheart). Not being part of the Seven Kingdoms for a some time after Aegon's conquest probably added to the distance between Dorne and the rest of Westeros. This distance and perceived difference don't necessary mean, they are looked down upon. But it can mean, that they are seen as outsiders, who are not thought of in that kind of category.

There's a lot of stories about them...

I'd say that's quite different from having prestige.

But it can be an indicator. Many stories about glorious, heroic or clever ancestors certainly add to the prestige of the house. Most people, even those from noble families, won't see the living members of the great houses very often. So all they have to judge those families is, what they hear about them. That includes whatever news come in, but mostly it will be stories they hear from singers. Contemporary members of those houses will, at least subconciously, be associated with their well known forefathers and people's behaviour around them will be effected by it.

If you ever met a member of the Kennedy clan, your first impression and behaviour would be (subconsciously) influenced by what you know about JFK. Same thing, if you met a relative of bin Laden. And the prestige of both families will forever be influenced by the deeds of their dead, (in)famous family members.

Archived