Tywins main excuse for never being married again?

Wavey Sauce

Eh, if I was truly in love, I don't think I would marry agian if god forbid something happened to my wife. I could see how Tywin would never want to marry agian to be honest. The whole family name thing is not an issue, Tywin has a lot of brothers and nephews if by chance Cersei, Jaime or Tyrion weren't to have children.

Cersei didn't need to remarry either, but he was going to force her to marry Willias

In his mind she did need to, to stop the.rumors about her and Jamie...

ETA, this thread raises an interesting idea about hypocrisy. We know Tywin refuses to allow Tyrion to visit prostitutes, yet Shae is found in his room. Putting aside the example of not marrying, can we think of any other examples of hypocrisy? If so, that might lead more weight to the idea thatTywin was asking times of his children he would never ask of himself.

Tywin married out of love

I'm not sure that is true. Yes he certainly loved her, but I'm not sure he arranged it. I think it is more likely that it was either his grandfather, father or uncle.

Tytos was a weak, weak man. Gerold knew this. Jason, his other surviving son, was quarrelsome and did not respect his older brother. Tytos was married to a Marbrand while Jason had a Stackspear wife who died (one child) and was married to a Prester. I figure that a marriage was arranged between Tytos first born son and Jasons daughter to secure the Lannister House rather than risk a civil war between the Lannisters (Dance of the Lions).

ETA, this thread raises an interesting idea about hypocrisy. We know Tywin refuses to allow Tyrion to visit prostitutes,

That is not true. He told him not to take Shae to the Capital. Doing so is basically making her his paramour, which is not good.

The shards of the broken cup crunched beneath his father's heels as Lord Tywin crossed the room. "One last thing," he said at the door. "You will not take the whore to court."

Tywin sees them as a service, he has nothing against men using them. What he has a problem with is men like his son and father falling in love with them and jeopardizing his own House for them.

"Why do you care?" he asked, unwilling even to speak Shae's name in his presence.

"I don't. No more than I care if they live or die."

Once Tywin finds out that Tyrion threatened the life of his grandson Tommen over the life of a prostitute he forbids Tyrion from using them. He has good reason to be annoyed.

I'm not sure that is true. Yes he certainly loved her, but I'm not sure he arranged it. I think it is more likely that it was either his grandfather, father or uncle.

Tytos was a weak, weak man. Gerold knew this. Jason, his other surviving son, was quarrelsome and did not respect his older brother. Tytos was married to a Marbrand while Jason had a Stackspear wife who died (one child) and was married to a Prester. I figure that a marriage was arranged between Tytos first born son and Jasons daughter to secure the Lannister House rather than risk a civil war between the Lannisters (Dance of the Lions).

Didn't the wordbook say that Tywin was only grandchild Gerold ever saw? So while I guess it could be possible he arranged the marriage of Tywin and Jason's potential daughter I think it would be a bit strange. But still the marriage could have well been arranged. When Stafford was taken hostage Joanna apparently was already engaged to Tywin which would probably make her pretty young (I am a bit unsure of timelines). But I guess for GRRM having a young teen fall in love is completely normal so thinking about ages seems pointless.

Didn't the wordbook say that Tywin was only grandchild Gerold ever saw? So while I guess it could be possible he arranged the marriage of Tywin and Jason's potential daughter I think it would be a bit strange. But still the marriage could have well been arranged. When Stafford was taken hostage Joanna apparently was already engaged to Tywin which would probably make her pretty young (I am a bit unsure of timelines). But I guess for GRRM having a young teen fall in love is completely normal so thinking about ages seems pointless.

Jason had his first child, a bastard daughter in 242. His first legitimate child would have been born around the time Gerold died. He might not have seen the child but would have known that a legitimate grandchild was due for Jason (who was 9 years younger).

Gerold did not have to be alive when Joanna was born to make his sons promise. Though it may have even been the brothers themselves who came up with the deal.

Here is GRRM on the subject If you have a generation of five brothers and each of them has several children (sons?), after two or three generations you could find yourself with thirty potential heirs: there could be thirty people named Lannister or Frey, and that produces confict, because all of them are going to get involved in hereditary fights for the throne. That's what originated the War of the Roses; An excess of candidates for the throne, all of them descendants of Edward III. Laking a heir (like Henry VIII) is just as bad as having too many of them. If you have five sons and you want to avoid that kind of problem, maybe it's not such a bad idea to marry the firstborn girl of the oldest son with the third son (or with the firstborn of the third son?), and that way you avoid fights and the bloodline remains united, so maybe that was the purpose of Tywin's marriage. Maybe it was Lord Tytos' idea, or maybe even Tywin's grandfather's idea, it depends on which was the exact time in which the marriage alliance was brokered, but I would have to check my notes because I can't remember.

He was in denial about Jaime staying with the kingsguard. 

Is he? Jaime only changed to want to be conventionally honorable after meeting Brienne and there wasn't that muh time between him returning and Tywin dying. To that we shouldn't forget that Jaime was more a Lannister than Kingsguard when he had his men fight Eddard in the streets and lead a Westerlands army to Riverrun.

Choose one. Or both. Whatever.

1) He didn't want his children by a second wife to threaten Jaime's and Cersei's inheritance, Tyrion can eat shit.

2) He's a self-righteous hypocrite who wasn't being forced to do something he found unpleasant so he did not.

EDIT: Tyrion can basically eat shit in either circumstance in Tywin's mind.

Eh, if I was truly in love, I don't think I would marry agian if god forbid something happened to my wife. I could see how Tywin would never want to marry agian to be honest. The whole family name thing is not an issue, Tywin has a lot of brothers and nephews if by chance Cersei, Jaime or Tyrion weren't to have children.

Then he is a huge hypocrite 

No, he's not. That's TV series only. Book Tywin cares only about his own power and comfort. He's an utterly selfish SOB.

Not true at all. Just look at his interactions with Jaime, Cersei, and Joffrey in ASOS.

He even wanted Jaime to practically raise Tommen at the Rock, to "teach him to be a Lannister." He obviously cared about the House's future

Not true at all. Just look at his interactions with Jaime, Cersei, and Joffrey in ASOS.

He even wanted Jaime to practically raise Tommen at the Rock, to "teach him to be a Lannister." He obviously cared about the House's future

this

I think he was gay. He married his cousin, so the kids would have his blood. But they are not his kids actually. New theory.  

You do realize that gay men can have children, right? He could still be gay and father 3 or even more children.

I've seen people say this about Renly and the Blackfish and it has always puzzled me how old the people making these statements are. That they think gay men are somehow scared of women.

Marrying is not the problem, noble men get to do whatever they want. Look at Stannis and how often he spends or even sleeps with his wife, being gay is not going to stop them marrying. Marriage actually comes with a few perks for the nobles.

that was actually jaime before he joined the kings guard

No, Arya mentions that while she was at Harrenhal she heard a rumor that he would make a marriage offer to Lysa, of course we don't have any confirmation about this because its from Aryas PoV and she would have no way of knowing the truth of it. 

Archived