About Arya and Jon

TeamWhiteWalkerz

Why Jon and Arya can't be incredibly close, be the person who means the most to the other, and then sleep with other people is something I just don't understand.

It's actually more brilliant to write it that way. In the Potter novels, Harry and his best friend Hermione shared a similar tight sibling-like bond, but fell in love with other people. 

Yet JKR admitted she goofed and should have had them together..

So yea sorta bad example.

Which does not mean they will fall in love here as well,because in the original script Tyrion was in love with Arya too even though they never interact in this story,Catelyn is killed by Others,Dany invades with Dothraki after avenging Viserys and killing Khal Drogo, and Jaime having a completely different storyline. Many storylines changed completely, so I don't see your point.

Well, many have also stayed the same; Sansa's 'betrayal', the sack of Winterfell, Bran's storyline beyond the Wall. The whole Tyrion//Winterfell agenda seems to be handed to Ramsay; Winterfell, 'Arya', 'rivalry', which nearly drives Jon to raise an army and break his vows.

Which does not mean they will fall in love here as well,because in the original script Tyrion was in love with Arya too even though they never interact in this story,Catelyn is killed by Others,Dany invades with Dothraki after avenging Viserys and killing Khal Drogo, and Jaime having a completely different storyline. Many storylines changed completely, so I don't see your point.

Not likely? Maybe. But still possible :(

Oh. But I think Grrm split arya into arya and Sansa. Maybe split jiame into jiame and cersei?
He did spend a lot of efforts to describe the relationship between jon and arya. It is possible that they will be in love.

George obviously doesn't think growing up as siblings would prevent romantic feelings from developing between Jon and Arya. So it's not an argument you can use against the pairing. That's my point.

George obviously doesn't think growing up as siblings would prevent romantic feelings from developing between Jon and Arya. So it's not an argument you can use against the pairing. That's my point.

I think jon and arya would end up in a romance.
Grrm apparently has a thing for brother sister love. He already put so many examples in the book.

Well, he already wrote Cercei and Jaime, so he doesn't thread it is as a hard rule obviously. However, being willing to play with the incest theme doesn't mean he is entirely unaware of the Westermarck effect.

Combine that with nothing but a close sibling relation, storylines for both character that aren't going in this direction at all and it all seems very unlikely to me. 

Well, he already wrote Cercei and Jaime, so he doesn't thread it is as a hard rule obviously. However, being willing to play with the incest theme doesn't mean he is entirely unaware of the Westermarck effect.
Combine that with nothing but a close sibling relation, storylines for both character that aren't going in this direction at all and it all seems very unlikely to me. 

Well Arya had a pretty big influence on Jon's arc in ADWD. And she currently has a large presence in the North as "The Ned's little girl" due to (f)Arya. Arya's been trying to get to the Wall since AGOT. She's northbound IMO.

Well Arya had a pretty big influence on Jon's arc in ADWD. And she currently has a large presence in the North as "The Ned's little girl" due to (f)Arya. Arya's been trying to get to the Wall since AGOT. She's northbound IMO.

I meant it less in the geography sense, more in the thematic sense. 

Jon already had his love versus duty theme. Currently his arc is about many things: placating cultural frictions, the loneliness of ruling, the difficulty of ruling, duty versus family, the line between pragmatism and idealism, the draw of legitimacy and soon it will dive into warging/rebirth. Romantic feelings for his little sister do not seem present. Similarly, Arya's arc is about survival, vengeance, family, identity, loyalty and justice/empathy and is turning more and more into psychological issues going by the Mercy chapter.  

I do not really see a way these things will progress into sexy feelings for siblings. 

Let's just agree to disagree because I feel we are going in circles. It still grosses me out that two siblings (they are cousins,yes,but they will always consider each other brother sister,I think there is no doubt there) who grew up together under one roof will end up together. I mean,if Jon never knew Arya and just felt connection with her and ended up with her,I could SOMEHOW get over it and accept it,but not this way.

I am praying that George included Gendry into story for a reason. I mean,throughout the history Baratheons and Starks were always friendly. Durran Godsgrief and Bran the Builder, Lyanna and Robert's betrothal, Robert and Ned, Ned and Gendry's encounter, Gendry and Arya, Mya Stone and Sansa, Stannis and Jon, Stannis and possibly Rickon in the future. Stannis is about to kick Bolton ass and restore Starks back to Winterfell,for God's sake! Storm and Winter bloodlines should join through Arya and Gendry.

Let's just agree to disagree because I feel we are going in circles. It still grosses me out that two siblings (they are cousins,yes,but they will always consider each other brother sister,I think there is no doubt there) who grew up together under one roof will end up together. I mean,if Jon never knew Arya and just felt connection with her and ended up with her,I could SOMEHOW get over it and accept it,but not this way.

I am praying that George included Gendry into story for a reason. I mean,throughout the history Baratheons and Starks were always friendly. Durran Godsgrief and Bran the Builder, Lyanna and Robert's betrothal, Robert and Ned, Ned and Gendry's encounter, Gendry and Arya, Mya Stone and Sansa, Stannis and Jon, Stannis and possibly Rickon in the future. Stannis is about to kick Bolton ass and restore Starks back to Winterfell,for God's sake! Storm and Winter bloodlines should join through Arya and Gendry.

Gendry's purpose is reforging Valyrian Steel. There are a few SSMs about it and George has always answered ambiguously. I think that's positive.

Your disgust isn't really relevant as it doesn't affect the likelihood of J/A happening.

Gendry's purpose is reforging Valyrian Steel. There are a few SSMs about it and George has always answered ambiguously. I think that's positive.

Your disgust isn't really relevant as it doesn't affect the likelihood of J/A happening.

I agree that Gendry is going to reforge Valyrian Steel for the battle against the Others,but I also believe he will become a notorious warrior and leader of Brotherhood without Banners eventually, the organization started in the name of his father.

And no need to be so hostile,I understand that my opinion on the matter will not change George's plans,I am expressing an opinion on a forum,geez...

This is something I think may happen though will not be popular but it might not be so far fetched. After all Eddard did say to Arya that she would grow up and marry a king. So I think she will end up marrying Jon or possibly Gendry....

I'm just keeping my mind open. I wanted Jon to 'steal' Val. 

What's more. I cannot stand things that just don't add up so after many years of accepting JS pairing up with his aunt, the thought of him ending up with his cousin stirs me no more, no less. There's also context to consider. This is Westeros, people are mental and constantly do questionable things. Is incest worse than emancipating your own son because he's a naff warrior? Can they even be measured on the same scale?  

For me, there just wasn't enough family moments between Jon and Arya that I witnessed. I read that they were siblings, but I didn't see them behave as such. I saw them both equally isolated in WF before sharing a moment together that spoke volumes. Arya, she may as well be a bastard herself for all the difference it makes. Jon remembers her as this goofy kid, what if when he next see's her she's a beautiful woman? A far cry from the lovable dork he's used to. And to Arya, Jon may be this great leader who stands alone to face the dark (if AAR) consider the new dynamic that it would create. DONT imagine them having a shag, that's just gratuitous. Think of the conflicting emotions that have been fueling the drama since chapter one. 

I honestly don't want to make ppl feel uncomfortable but the conversation was here waiting for me so I jumped in.

With any luck, there'll be no more incest. Especially with Stannis around, "...this isn't King's Landing." 

To people saying that GRRM is using 'little sister' too much to make it believable. I put it to you that he is using 'Little Sister' so much because its going to be a hell of a moment when its revealed its a lie. Both Arya and Jon have moments in the text were they feel their relationship is not quite right and GRRM seems to be breaking the fourth wall a bit because the lines don't make sense. 'I'm not so little anymore, he'll have to call me something else', 'Jon had never met anyone so stubborn, except maybe for his little sister Arya. Is she still my sister? he wondered. Was she ever?'. These lines don't make sense, even in context. Just because Jon is a bastard doesn't mean his sister ceases to be his sister. Just because Arya is taller now doesn't mean she will ever stop being a little sister, because we use that to mean younger sister. Your big sister is your older sister. Its weird.

This is something I think may happen though will not be popular but it might not be so far fetched. After all Eddard did say to Arya that she would grow up and marry a king. So I think she will end up marrying Jon or possibly Gendry....

This make me wonder that if Dany or Jon somehow get the throne but both of them die in the final war without child, then who will be the next king?

Gendry? What a waste of time and effort for Dany. 

Archived