Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, 666

JonCon's Red Beard

Here's a random, unsupported, most likely wrong theory:

The story behind the coins of the sigil of House Payne is somehow related to Pennytree and the pennies nailed down to the tree. Like maybe House Payne was exiled from there and the peasants keep up their memory alive by nailing those coins. I'd like it because it would mean there's a tangible connection between Dunk and Egg and Brienne and Pod, with Pod's family being originally from the hometown of Ser Arlan. 

But who am I kidding, the story of the coins will most likely be something like "King Viserys the Whatever of His Name once paid Lord Payne for his daughter's maidenhood in golden coins" or some shit like that. 

I like it!

Cersei advised Sansa that she had best learn to use the weapon between her legs. Will Sansa use this weapon? Against whom will she use it? When she uses her sexual favors to advance her interests will the Sansanistas explode as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced? 

Just noticed that the use of W for the Manderlys is because it's the shape of a trident.

oh, cool!

Here's a random, unsupported, most likely wrong theory:

The story behind the coins of the sigil of House Payne is somehow related to Pennytree and the pennies nailed down to the tree. Like maybe House Payne was exiled from there and the peasants keep up their memory alive by nailing those coins. I'd like it because it would mean there's a tangible connection between Dunk and Egg and Brienne and Pod, with Pod's family being originally from the hometown of Ser Arlan. 

But who am I kidding, the story of the coins will most likely be something like "King Viserys the Whatever of His Name once paid Lord Payne for his daughter's maidenhood in golden coins" or some shit like that. 

I've never even noticed Payne's sigil. I've got the impression that their house isn't very old, maybe it would be better if they started as commoners in the Pennytree area? 

The names Lemore/Malora (Hightower) are a homage to 

"Le Morte Darthur" by Sir Thomas Malory  (published 1485)

There are suggestions  that Malory was Welsh -> identifying "Malory" with "Maelor"(Alicent Hightower's last grandson Maelor Targaryen)

Maelor is the name of two regions in Wales who are connected ...

Enough spoiler for today .... добрый вечер!

I don't really buy into this type of theories that force the narrative to follow specific plots of several other works/myths (like Ragnarok theory or what's it's name) and where the readers need to deciphere advanced symbolism, as if we are doing a detective work in real life.

Understanding symbolism and hommages, finding easter eggs - definitely enriches the experience, but a reader doesn't have to understand symbolism and hommages on that level to understand the plot and solve the mysteries. Clues should be in the ASOIAF books, not in the outside sources.

And even if the names (and I see only maybe Lemore, Malory seems like a coincidence) started as a homage, doesn't mean it would stick to the original source, specially since GRRM is a "gardener" type. 

Cersei advised Sansa that she had best learn to use the weapon between her legs. Will Sansa use this weapon? Against whom will she use it? When she uses her sexual favors to advance her interests will the Sansanistas explode as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced? 

I hate SanSan, but I would throw my book (yes my ebook) and probably never reread the series. 

Sansa's most likely response to Cersei's advice is probably,"Whatever Cersei would do, I'm going to do the opposite!"  

Archived