NBA Season 2015 - 16 Bow to the Brow

Relic

Maybe not consistently, but he was capable of peaks that Curry hasn't reached yet (stuff like the 81 point game). Also, that fallow period of around '04-'06, after Shaq left but before the Lakers got good again, Kobe single-handedly dragged a really terrible team to the playoffs twice. Curry hasn't done anything like that. All of Golden State's success has come with Curry being surrounded by other really strong talent.

Curry's a great player, but I think its a bit early to talking about him being better than a top-10 all-time player; even if said player is in a joke of a career twilight.

Yeah it's silly at this point. Kobe was never this efficient, but he is by far the better player. Kobe in his prime would also completely destroy Curry 1 on 1.

Maybe not consistently, but he was capable of peaks that Curry hasn't reached yet (stuff like the 81 point game). Also, that fallow period of around '04-'06, after Shaq left but before the Lakers got good again, Kobe single-handedly dragged a really terrible team to the playoffs twice. Curry hasn't done anything like that. All of Golden State's success has come with Curry being surrounded by other really strong talent.

Curry's a great player, but I think its a bit early to talking about him being better than a top-10 all-time player; even if said player is in a joke of a career twilight.

Well yeah, like I said, I think Kobe at his heights was a better overall player than Curry is now. Honestly, I do believe Curry could put up an insane number like that, but that's not how the Warriors play. A big part of his game is drawing coverage off of one of his teammates, and finding the open man.

I don't believe I've ever seen an offensive player as skilled as Curry. That combination of handle and range is pretty singular.

I agree with Red Tiger, Curry and Kobe are just totally different players, and it seems weird to be comparing them.  And while I agree Kobe could probably destroy Curry in 1v1, that is totally irrelevant.  Basketball is not just as series of 1v1 matchups like baseball, and Curry's ability to command double teams and distribute in response to them is an essential part of what makes him great. 

Career-wise, of course Curry can't touch Kobe, yet. Agree Kobe is a top 10 player all time and a guy has gotta have at least a decade of extremely high play to even enter the conversation.

But it is fair to say that Kobe has never had a season as good as the one Curry is having right now. Infact virtually no-one has...ever. This level of efficiency just doesn't exist in NBA history. Granted it's only a quarter of the way through the season and he has to keep this absurd level of play going. But, he's also the reigning MVP. (Ironically he also has as many MVPs as Kobe). And by a number of measures Kobe never had a season as good as the one Curry had last year either. Yeah Kobe had more superficially impressive seasons in terms of PPG but those required a level of ball dominance that also hurt his teams at times. 

Granted Kobe has been great defensively for his career. But people see a slight 185 lbs PG and assume all he can do is shoot but they're fantastic defensively with him on the floor and I do think it's clear at this point he makes his teammates better in a way Kobe never did if you take the spacing his presence creates alone (but obviously he's also a deft passer). 

Why are we comparing a combo guard to a swingman? Comparing KObe and LeBron I get, but this?

I agree with Red Tiger, Curry and Kobe are just totally different players, and it seems weird to be comparing them.  And while I agree Kobe could probably destroy Curry in 1v1, that is totally irrelevant.  Basketball is not just as series of 1v1 matchups like baseball, and Curry's ability to command double teams and distribute in response to them is an essential part of what makes him great.

Who wins 1 on 1, Wilt verse Curry? :P

Why are we comparing a combo guard to a swingman? Comparing KObe and LeBron I get, but this?

Because ultimately that's what casual fans do. It's really only meaningful to compare guys who play the same position, or guys who play similar roles ans styles I suppose, but that is not going to stop folks from comparing greats to one another. 

I just heard another crazy Curry stat. If he continues his current pace of made 3 pointers this season, he will have more made 3 pointers during this season and last year's season combined than Larry Bird will have made 3 pointers for his entire career. Wow.

I just heard another crazy Curry stat. If he continues his current pace of made 3 pointers this season, he will have more made 3 pointers during this season and last year's season combined than Larry Bird will have made 3 pointers for his entire career. Wow.

That´s just as irrelevant stat as the one about Curry passing James on made 3s. People are just trying to tie names to Curry and come up with useless shit like that.

I think Tywin is unaware that Bird really was not such a prolific three-point guy. Oh sure, he was good at making them, but he was pretty selective with them. He is #34 in terms of field goal attempts, but he is #188 in terms of 3-point attempts.

I blame ESPN though, they love peppering highlights with him involving the three.

I think Tywin is unaware that Bird really was not such a prolific three-point guy. Oh sure, he was good at making them, but he was pretty selective with them.

I blame ESPN though, they love peppering highlights with him, especially the ones involving the three.

Beyond that it was a completely different era that didn't place as much importance on the 3. The league as a whole took way less three point attempts than is customary now. 

I think Tywin is unaware that Bird really was not such a prolific three-point guy. Oh sure, he was good at making them, but he was pretty selective with them.

Regardless of that, he is still known as one of the all-time greats when it comes to 3 pointers (along with Pistol Pete and Reggie Miller).  It just shows that the NBA has really changed into a league that is far more reliant on the 3 ball.  In Bird's time attempting 10 3s in a game was incredibly rare, whereas Curry does it all the time. 

Manhole, this is very true. Also was the 3-point line specifically changed to help Jordan out or was that an urban myth?

Maith, I fully agree that Bird was one of the greats in terms of the 3, just not volume-wise, that's why I generally consider that Curry-related stat to be ludicrously stupid.

Archived