Comics XII: All New, All Twelve

GallowKnight

2 hours ago, red snow said:

No relaunches there then!

Might have a look at it. I really appreciate the different approach to comics from them but whenever I've tried it's never really clicked for me. Maybe it's the serial format of paper-like strips.

Yeah, it can be a bit frustrating when you only get stories in short snippets at a time. I'm mostly get 2000 AD if there's something really interesting, otherwise I read Dredd in trades.

7 hours ago, red snow said:

No relaunches there then!

Might have a look at it. I really appreciate the different approach to comics from them but whenever I've tried it's never really clicked for me. Maybe it's the serial format of paper-like strips.

I like some of the compilations they did back in the 90's. I think it was Quality Comics that collected stories from one particular character (the two I remember were Rogue Trooper and D.R. and Quinch) into compilations. They still lacked continuity in that almost all the stories were essentially one-shots, but that format made reading the stories much more enjoyable. Rogue Trooper was kind of reminiscent of the old EC War Comics and the Alan Moore/Alan Davis D.R. and Quinch stuff was laugh out loud funny with really superior art.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/rogue-trooper/4050-50641/

http://classic.tcj.com/review/the-complete-d-r-quinch/

/I think you can find most of the Rogue Trooper stuff in the .50 bin. Good stuff for the price, if you like that old EC style. And the Complete D.R. and Quinch compilation is readily available and well worth the price. Some of the funniest comics ever written, IMHO.

On 9/28/2016 at 2:54 PM, Sci-2 said:

Seven to Eternity #1: Intriguing enough, seems like the "God of Whispers" is some kind of "earth bender"? The artwork is great, and in fact has to carry some panels as I felt this was a little dragged out.

Finally got around to reading this, I thought it was really good. I'm super interested to learn more about the world, Adam Osidis, Mud King, etc. The art was fantastic. This kind of stuff seems like Jerome Opena's strong suit. It reminds me a bit of his work on Fear Agent.

As far as the God of Whispers (Mud King) being an earth bender

I thought it was the Piper (seen standing next to the king on the last page) that was doing it. Or do you think he was just summoning the Mud King to their location?[/spoiler]

On 05/10/2016 at 8:51 PM, Kalbear said:

Clean Room #12 is out, and wraps up the second arc. It's less dramatic and a bit more revelatory, and is fucking awesome as hell. 

I think there was an announcement that the clean room artist was going to be working on another DC title . From what you have all been posting the art seems to be a big part of this title. I'm guessing it might just mean "clean room" goes on hiatus for a while? Usually with mainstream titles the initial artist does 6 issues at the most. This might be more like 6 issues over 12 months with a fill-in artist on the wild storm book and maybe only 8 issues of Clean room over the next year? Hopefully there'll be some updates on how it affects Clean room.

The good news is that Ellis is back to the Wildstorm universe. I think those books only ever worked under his watch with stormwatch/authority and planetary and this is probably the best way to get that line up and running. Having him as a creative editor across the line is a great plan too as this fits with his style of coming in with a concept and then handing over to other writers to play with. At least this way he can keep things ticking along. I hope they can get the line up and running and I'm sure DC and co are thinking of getting the line up and running to highlight the brand as another film franchise. I think i said here or on one of the superhero film threads that in many respects "Wildstorm" would be ideally suited to film in that it's not as big as the marvel/DC franchises but has a more "nononsense" and less "traditional" take. Often feels like WB would have been better developing wildstorm than making the DC characters more cynical and dark.

I got the chance to read the latest issue of Uncanny X-men and my only real takeaway is this: how the fuck is Greg Land still allowed to draw comic books? That was some grade A terrible artwork.

And according to the internet one of my favourite mutant's got bumped off last week too.

6 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Yeah, Jon Davis hunt is moving on and that sucks. Clean room is as much his as simones.

BOOOO! Yeah, I think that kills more good books than just about any other happenstance. For my money most of the best comics are true collaborations between the author and artist. The whole is greater than the sum of its' parts, ya know?

That said, Ellis is teaming with him on the title "Wildstorm", which might be worth a look-see. His art is reminiscent of the clean style of Cassady but significantly more weird, and that might work really well with Ellis' love of weird science stuff.

And Lucy Blaze looks fucking awesome there.

17 hours ago, Kalbear said:

That said, Ellis is teaming with him on the title "Wildstorm", which might be worth a look-see. His art is reminiscent of the clean style of Cassady but significantly more weird, and that might work really well with Ellis' love of weird science stuff.

And Lucy Blaze looks fucking awesome there.

He certainly looks like a good candidate for designing the look of the wildstorm relaunch. Plus, those titles used to have a strong alien element. I just wonder whether he's left "clean room" or is just on a break from it? I know some of Scott Snyder's vertigo collaborators have done this before eg with American Vampire and his Image "wytches". So it may not be a permanent thing.

I guess it depends on whether he's a co-creator of clean room or not? I think these days they are by defauly if they create it but I do recall creators like JMS insisting on overall ownership.

17 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

BOOOO! Yeah, I think that kills more good books than just about any other happenstance. For my money most of the best comics are true collaborations between the author and artist. The whole is greater than the sum of its' parts, ya know?

I think in the case of general marvel/dc books it's the standard MO. Launch with a big artist and then switch to a cheaper one when intitial sales are starting to drop. It is rarer with creator owned titles though. It never harmed Walking Dead any for example and I recall "fables" had a different regular artist after its first arc.

1 minute ago, red snow said:

It never harmed Walking Dead any for example and I recall "fables" had a different regular artist after its first arc.

I always preferred the original artist on Walking Dead though. That's not to say that Adlard isn't really good, but Moore's stuff was just kind of perfect for that book. That's even moreso true of Fables for me, as that first arc was both quite long and very good. The change in artists was pretty jarring to me, and I feel like the story suffered for it.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I always preferred the original artist on Walking Dead though. That's not to say that Adlard isn't really good, but Moore's stuff was just kind of perfect for that book. That's even moreso true of Fables for me, as that first arc was both quite long and very good. The change in artists was pretty jarring to me, and I feel like the story suffered for it.

I think with Walking Dead it's more Adlard's now just due to the number of issues. I bet he celebrates whenever the characters he creates appears on the show (although I'm sure he's doing pretty well off comic sales alone these days)

I think with Fables - although the initial artist was more flashy, I really feel like Buckingham's layouts were definitive for the series as a whole.

But, I agree, it's far nicer to keep the artist on the whole. Like I say - I'd rather they had a guest arc on clean room and then get the original artist back. It might be a good thing for "clean room" as some exposure from the Ellis helmed book might bring it some more attention. Assuming an Ellis Wildstorm book is a big deal anymore.

Tony Moore>>>Charlie Adlard. Nice guy too. He's friend's with the owner of my LCS. Adlard just works much faster. Which I guess there's something to be said for when working on a big title like TWD.

Picked up Reborn #1 solely for Greg Capullo. Not bad. It has some great art (one really cool page in particular), and he brought FCO Plascencia from Batman as his colorist. Story was a decent setup. 

On 12/10/2016 at 10:31 AM, Nictarion said:

Tony Moore>>>Charlie Adlard. Nice guy too. He's friend's with the owner of my LCS. Adlard just works much faster. Which I guess there's something to be said for when working on a big title like TWD.

Picked up Reborn #1 solely for Greg Capullo. Not bad. It has some great art (one really cool page in particular), and he brought FCO Plascencia from Batman as his colorist. Story was a decent setup. 

I think Adlard suits black and white and the horror medium quite well but Moore has a great cartoon style. Is he working on anything at the moment?

I finished the recent WD trade. Kirkman clearly doesn't want to make the mistake of killing off a good villain again but I sometimes think he loves Negan more than anyone reading the book. Still. a surprising twist at the end and I'm curious to see where the whisperers arc is going to go now. Probably 12 months of war build up.

I also picked up Reborn solely for the art. It sounds a bit different from the usual Millar fare and who knows I might be able to sell it for a profit when the inevitable film arrives.

Was a decent haul this week with Black Science, Lazarus, Kill or be killed, Reborn and something else that I've forgotten about. I've dropped Black Monday murders as it seems a bit too dense a read and I can only take so much of Hickman's circles and maps.

The weakness of the pound is certainly hitting a comic collectors pocket at the moment though.

19 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Nah, Tony Moore isn't working on anything atm other than an occasional cover here and there. He helps put on one of our local comic con's every September, so he was probably just busy with that recently. 

It's a shame but I guess he does well enough off being a co-creator of WD to have the workload he wants.

I'm surprised at the push Marvel is giving x-men for the resurrexion brand. Makes me wonder if they realise the franchise is in desperate need of rehabilitaion - that and I get the impression things are smoothing over with Fox given the "legion" show coming out as a co-production.

Although there's Inhumans vs X-men to endure first...

I've been reading Bendis' ANX-men (from where i dropped it last time). In fairness to him I think he brought a bit of youthfulness to the series with his original X-men. It's just a shame none of the original X-men really felt like the original X-men as they had distinct personalites otherwise. I think he handled how a teen would handle telepathy quite well for instance. The trial of phoenix arc was dull though and held no interest for me. I also still can't tell whether Bendis wanted us to think Beast was an irresponsible, erratic and hypocritical prick or that was just in response to the online response.

I have to admit I haven't even touched the post Bendis books. Partly because I've yet to finish the Bendis run and partly because there was nothing about the books that grabbed my attention. Although I've felt like that outside the "messiah complex" events regarding x-men for a while.

Inhumans vs X-Men looks like its just going to be Avengers vs X-Men 2 with the evil X-Men fighting the peaceful Inhumans

I related news I actually decided to read Death of X, because I do love whining about comic books. Naturally it was kinda terrible. Cyclops is sooo going to die, he couldn't be more marked for death if he was wearing a red shirt with a target painted on it. And he's being obviously painted as the villain yet again.

I also checked out the newly released Marvel Solicitations for January 2017. Are they seriously going with a book called Occupy Avengers? The couldn't have found a more relevant name? The Prowler book could interesting I Guess. I

saw that Iceman's getting a book, I wonder how many issues that will get? My guess is 10 or 12 at best.

Archived