Comics XII: All New, All Twelve

GallowKnight

7 hours ago, Friendly Neighborhood said:

Rebirth has been interesting so far. I'm interested in seeing where they're going with the 

Hide contents

Doctor Manhattan

stuff.

Batman Rebirth was a good read, while Superman and GL were decent at best. GA had so much fanbait it was almost cynical , but damn it did it work on me. 

On the other side of the street, I will be deliberately staying away from Civil War II 'cause fuck you Marvel. The Captain America stuff is laughable at best. I'm sticking with Moon Knight, Vision and Ultimates ; those books have not disappointed  me yet

Not just him but I'm also curious about Mr Oz who must almost certainly be

Ozymandias. Which raises the question of whether he is in league with Dr M or plotting against him.

Civil War II is receiving good reviews but I don't have much trust in the majority of comic sites. Plus it's just a really lazy title.

Enjoy Vision while it lasts!

apropos, i suppose, to rebirth...anyone read the watchmen books from just a while back???  part of me really wanted to, but i just couldn't pull the trigger.  i've enjoyed the rebirth stuff that i've read so far but that was last weeks stuff.  i have read the flash rebirth issue from this week and it fell a little flat for me.  i'm giving CW2 a shot as well but i haven't read enough of it to have an informed opinion.

also, reading through the massive...pretty good, so far.

6 hours ago, D_P said:

apropos, i suppose, to rebirth...anyone read the watchmen books from just a while back???  part of me really wanted to, but i just couldn't pull the trigger.  i've enjoyed the rebirth stuff that i've read so far but that was last weeks stuff.  i have read the flash rebirth issue from this week and it fell a little flat for me.  i'm giving CW2 a shot as well but i haven't read enough of it to have an informed opinion.

also, reading through the massive...pretty good, so far.

After hearing the almost unanimous hatred of it, even by websites that tend to be lenient/glowing on DC/Marvel comics, I didn't bother. That said I may check out Darwyn Cooke's "Minutemen?" as it seemed to be the best received and sadly I'm not going to see much of his work now he's dead.

I think the way they appear to be handling the Watchmen characters (so far only two of them - maybe best to keep it that way?) as god like meddlers doesn't really bug me so much. It allows me to think of them as distinct from the original series. I think as long as they keep it with a focus on the DC world and don't try and turn it into a direct sequel I'm cool with it. Time will tell.

Batman Rebirth was fairly good. I liked the take on Calendar Man but it felt far too previewish and not really setting things up - unless the plan is to have a more risk-taking batman. I find it hard to beleive that Batman wouldn't have used a drone or something to go underwater rather than idiotically swim with a cape on. The art was good so I'll be checking out the regular series to see what King really has in store.

I enjoyed Superman Rebirth more. It felt like it was getting me up to speed with a fairly complicated plot in terms of multiple supermen and it felt like a fittig tribute to new 52 superman. It's harsh they killed him but he was arguably the most changed character in the new 52 (Batman and Hal Jordan just rolled straight on into the reboot). Great to see Doug Mahnke on the title - he's a great artist.

I haven't enjoyed an issue of the Flash as much as I did the Flash Rebirth in quite a while. I was a little bit wary of the elements that it had in common with the tv show, but one of the things both mediums did right was it finally freed Barry's father from prison.  Barry and Henry's conversation in this ish sounded unforced and natural.  

The highlight naturally is the further continuation of Barry and Wally's  reunion; it worked so much better than any scene in Johns' Flash Rebirth series a few years ago.

So, haha,  there are now two Flashes (Barry and Wally), as well as two Wallys (Classic Wally and New 52 Wally).  

I didn't mind too much that they had to touch on Nora's death again since I felt it was integrated well in the story.  What I have reservations about is that apparently, a serial killer speedster will be on the loose in the new Flash series.  Most posters here who watch the show will understand why.  

About Rebirth in general, and the reason for it,  I feel more inclined to credit/blame Miller's The Dark Knight Returns than Watchmen.  But wth.

11 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I haven't enjoyed an issue of the Flash as much as I did the Flash Rebirth in quite a while. I was a little bit wary of the elements that it had in common with the tv show, but one of the things both mediums did right was it finally freed Barry's father from prison.  Barry and Henry's conversation in this ish sounded unforced and natural.  

The highlight naturally is the further continuation of Barry and Wally's  reunion; it worked so much better than any scene in Johns' Flash Rebirth series a few years ago.

So, haha,  there are now two Flashes (Barry and Wally), as well as two Wallys (Classic Wally and New 52 Wally).  

I didn't mind too much that they had to touch on Nora's death again since I felt it was integrated well in the story.  What I have reservations about is that apparently, a serial killer speedster will be on the loose in the new Flash series.  Most posters here who watch the show will understand why.  

About Rebirth in general, and the reason for it,  I feel more inclined to credit/blame Miller's The Dark Knight Returns than Watchmen.  But wth.

Let's hope they don't borrow too much from the TV show! I have it on my pull-list from my hometown so it'll be a while before I can check it out. I've heard many say it's the natural follow-on from Rebirth.

That would be a turn up for the books if there was a Miller Dark Knight pulling the strings of the DCU. I agree that most books imitated Miller's style over Moore's. Probably because it's easier to mimic Miller's writing than Moore's

It's been a while but Lazarus is finally back. Thanks to the letters column it only just dawned on me that all the "flashbacks" for Forever were never that at all. Nice twist/storytelling and should probably re-read all those scenes now I have a different context for them.

Superman by Tomasi and Gleason was good. I'm hoping they can channel some of their Batman and Robin father/son dynamics although the superkid is a different kind of character to Robin. He's much more of a kid for a start but in some ways scarier because of his power and kid like reactions. With Gleason and Mahnke the supertitles have some distinctive art for the moment - i guess it remains to be seen how good the fill in artists are as I think at least one of the titles is biweekly. Mahnke can easily do an issue a month but biweekly is too tall an order for a sustained run. I'm hoping they have the rotating teams do arcs rather than fill ins.

Titans Rebirth fits the mold of the rebirth titles in feeling more like an advert than a proper first issue. It looks like Titans will tie into the bigger story but none of the characters really grabbed me outside of Wally West.

I'm ignoring civil war II

I'm slightly curious at Dan Slott revisiting the clone saga later in the year. He's got a great track record but it's a brave move to visit that era of spidey.

On 6/12/2016 at 0:35 AM, Knight of Ashes said:

Yeah, but Frank Miller will still work with DC and Alan Moore won't.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the first 9 issues of Clean Room. I am in absolute love. The art is reminiscent of quitely and other superdetail works, the imagery is some of the best horror stuff I've seen ever, the characters are sharp and the plot is solid as hell. It feels like a better drawn version of the invisibles. 

20 hours ago, Dickwad Poster #3784 said:

Just finished the first 9 issues of Clean Room. I am in absolute love. The art is reminiscent of quitely and other superdetail works, the imagery is some of the best horror stuff I've seen ever, the characters are sharp and the plot is solid as hell. It feels like a better drawn version of the invisibles. 

Yeah Clean Room is great. 

My guess is the creatures are based on the "aliens were always here" idea from Vallee's Passport to Magonia stuff.

5 hours ago, Dickwad Poster #3784 said:

Given their response that they are inmates, that might be right, but I got the impression that they did come from a place.

Ah I just mean they are fellow inhabitants of our world, rather than from another dimension or planet.

They seem to live in our atmosphere given Astrid threatens them with a cloud gun...assuming I'm remembering this correctly...

1 hour ago, Sci-2 said:

Ah I just mean they are fellow inhabitants of our world, rather than from another dimension or planet.

They seem to live in our atmosphere given Astrid threatens them with a cloud gun...assuming I'm remembering this correctly...

Right - though we see one of their places. They certainly live here. I just don't think they were born here. The various 'crash sites' that they mention and salvage tech for the Clean Room makes me think of them as UFOs, though my suspicion is that they're extradimensional Cthonic travellers rather than things from other places in our universe. 

12 hours ago, Dickwad Poster #3784 said:

Right - though we see one of their places. They certainly live here. I just don't think they were born here. The various 'crash sites' that they mention and salvage tech for the Clean Room makes me think of them as UFOs, though my suspicion is that they're extradimensional Cthonic travellers rather than things from other places in our universe. 

Inchies from another universe? :-)

Clean room is more than worth a look. Highly critically acclaimed and gorgeous disturbing art combined with tight plotting and dialog. It's the best comic I've read in 15 years.

I dunno what I was smoking when I initially commented on the Green Arrow relaunch, as I've suddenly decided the art is among the best we've seen on the Rebirth books so far...? Listened to a podcast which raved about it, and I wondered why there was a disconnect. Sure enough, the regular series #1 drops, and I must've had something stuck in my eye -- like insanity -- when I originally sat down to read the Rebirth issue. Honestly, it's something I've noticed more and more as technology has factored into art. There's so much art which appears in modern comics which I don't necessarily vibe with, but if the artist posts their pencils, before coloring, I love it. When you take clean colors and put them on "dirty" art -- which looks good because of the scratchy element -- the colors just do not do it justice. There's a lot of comics I'd prefer to read in black and white.

Out of everything we've seen, I'd say Superman, Green Arrow, and Batman have been the best books. I like Batman despite Finch -- I usually loathe his art. Can't wait for Janin to return. Tomasi and Gleason are picking up where they left off on Batman and Robin, this time writing a new father/son dynamic. I expect to love the Clark/Jonathan stuff just as much as the Bruce/Damien stuff.

As someone who didn't care about Wonder Woman before Azzarello reinvented her, I'm scared Rucka is going to take away all the things I found compelling about the character. 

This whole relaunch is weird to me, as things are still clearly New 52ish -- the characters still don't remember the missing 10 years, regardless of Wally's interventions. They just remember him. Feels like Rebirth would've been a more apt description for when the characters have regained their missing memories. Feels like this initiative should've just been a Crisis storyline -- "A Crisis of Time" or something.

On 7/4/2016 at 9:15 AM, Sci-2 said:

Inchies from another universe? :-)

I kind of got the impression that their morality is actually alien, so probably not. They are much more old god horror than sick rapist random horror. They're also not a singular mob mentality either, which is kind of nice. 

I've not read something that's stuck with me so well in a while, honestly. Astrid is incredibly awesome as a character. 

On 04/07/2016 at 11:30 PM, Dickwad Poster #3784 said:

Clean room is more than worth a look. Highly critically acclaimed and gorgeous disturbing art combined with tight plotting and dialog. It's the best comic I've read in 15 years.

Simone and Vertigo producing something great. Long overdue.

On 05/07/2016 at 3:22 AM, Bastard of Boston said:

Out of everything we've seen, I'd say Superman, Green Arrow, and Batman have been the best books. I like Batman despite Finch -- I usually loathe his art. Can't wait for Janin to return. Tomasi and Gleason are picking up where they left off on Batman and Robin, this time writing a new father/son dynamic. I expect to love the Clark/Jonathan stuff just as much as the Bruce/Damien stuff.

As someone who didn't care about Wonder Woman before Azzarello reinvented her, I'm scared Rucka is going to take away all the things I found compelling about the character. 

The Green Arrow art is some of the more original work coming out of DC - I prefer it over the Finch house style. The superman books have impressed me the most and I'll give Rucka a few issues because of "Lazarus".

Archived