About the look of Lyanna Stark

purple-eyes

1 minute ago, purple-eyes said:

Wild beauty I think is like wild flowers in the deserted lands versus the delicate flowers in the garden or green house. 

More messy and strong and tough. 

For a woman like lyanna, I think she is, in my mind, tall, strong, long face, with freckles on face and arms, tanned due to riding outdoors, strong arms due to sword training, messy dark hair and sharp grey eyes. 

Just like yigrite in the show. 

Correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly, but I always thought that one gets freckles if they are so pale that they cannot tan.

1 minute ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I am blonde haired blue eyed and very fair skinned.  You could easily say I am fairer than someone who can only be described as white.  I really don't think this is anything.  Anyone with black hair would be described as darker than me as well.

Except auburn isn't really fair hair. It's just a shade away from being dark brown.

2 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I am blonde haired blue eyed and very fair skinned.  You could easily say I am fairer than someone who can only be described as white.  I really don't think this is anything.  Anyone with black hair would be described as darker than me as well.

Oh, I think the point is robb has auburn hair, not blond. 

So jon is dark compared to robb being fair, probably means skin color. Especially the previous paragraph just said robb had auburn hair and fair skin. 

3 minutes ago, WhitewolfStark said:

Correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly, but I always thought that one gets freckles if they are so pale that they cannot tan.

Maybe. But I think a darker skinned person can still get freckles as well. 

When i think of wild beauty, i think of the Olivia Wilde sort of look but i always associate her with Visenya not Lyanna. A lot of illustration of Visenya looks like Olivia too

Anyway i think the dark doesn't necessarily mean dark but just like how people describe Anne Boleyn, she wasn't fair but a bit olive. Like Jessica Alba and Penelope Cruz type

If you check the harrenhal tourney figure in the world book, you will see Elia does look like delicate beauty and lyanna looks like wild beauty. 

Facial features of elia looks delicate with a heart or oval shaped face. She was covered by fabrics completely. 

While lyanna looks strong, long-faced, with messy black hair and big breasts. 

I think the artist did consider about this. 

But robert does not look handsome at all! 

And oberyn did not have his famous widow peak! 

9 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

Maybe. But I think a darker skinned person can still get freckles as well. 

*Researches* Ahh... yes, though they are more common in lighter skinned folks (or at least more common) and simply come down to the fact that they are an uneven tan, and the thinner one's skin the more likely one is to develop freckles--with freckles peaking during the teenage years and vanishing in adulthood.

9 minutes ago, WhitewolfStark said:

*Researches* Ahh... yes, though they are more common in lighter skinned folks (or at least more common) and simply come down to the fact that they are an uneven tan, and the thinner one's skin the more likely one is to develop freckles--with freckles peaking during the teenage years and vanishing in adulthood.

Yeah. Yigrite looks very pale and her freckles seem to be typical. 

3 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

Oh, and trystane was called dark versus mycella being light. 

And cersei is light over Robert being dark. 

What is Robert's skin color then? 

A white guy but tanned? 

The point of Robert being dark refers to his hair and eye color, not his skin. Stop with this racist nonsense.

8 minutes ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

The point of Robert being dark refers to his hair and eye color, not his skin. Stop with this racist nonsense.

Oh, but when they talked about myrcella and trystane, they were talking about both hair and skin. And tanned color is supposed to be a beautiful and attractive color. Isn't it? look at those tanning salons. I think many people think it is better than pale white color in man. 

1 hour ago, redtree said:

When i think of wild beauty, i think of the Olivia Wilde sort of look but i always associate her with Visenya not Lyanna. A lot of illustration of Visenya looks like Olivia too

Anyway i think the dark doesn't necessarily mean dark but just like how people describe Anne Boleyn, she wasn't fair but a bit olive. Like Jessica Alba and Penelope Cruz type

Olivia Wilde could be snapped in half if a horse rode by her too fast.   I think your off base thinking Lyanna looks like her.  There is virtually no way she is that skinny.  In fairness, none of the other women mentioned in this thread are realistic either.

13 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

Oh, but when they talked about myrcella and trystane, they were talking about both hair and skin. And tanned color is supposed to be a beautiful and attractive color. Isn't it? look at those tanning salons. I think many people think it is better than pale white color in man. 

It depends upon what time period you're talking about. Our fascination with modern tan skin only appeared in the 1920s when Coco Chanel went to the beach at Marseilles and forgot to cover up, and came back and decided to make a fashion statement about it.

In the Renaissance - Edwardian era, the paler the better--as it showed you didn't have to work out in the fields under the hot sun, but instead were wealthy enough to stay indoors all day. Pale skin was so highly valued that women rubbed lotions on their skins to try and make themselves look paler.

Like all things, the value of "what is beautiful" changes over time. Here's a video which captures that.

2 minutes ago, WhitewolfStark said:

It depends upon what time period you're talking about. Our fascination with modern tan skin only appeared in the 1920s when Coco Chanel went to the beach at Marseilles and forgot to cover up, and came back and decided to make a fashion statement about it.

In the Renaissance - Edwardian era, the paler the better--as it showed you didn't have to work out in the fields under the hot sun, but instead were wealthy enough to stay indoors all day. Pale skin was so highly valued that women rubbed lotions on their skins to try and make themselves look paler.

Like all things, the value of "what is beautiful" changes over time. Here's a video which captures that.

For the record, the whiter the better still go's in most parts of the world.

6 minutes ago, WhitewolfStark said:

Sure. But this book seems to be quite open-minded on beauty although westeros is based on Middle Ages. 

Many darker skin people were described as attractive beauty by many people. Like myrish beauty taena and summer isle woman alayaya and those black pearl courtesans etc. 

I think GRRM applied some modern views on it. Maybe he wanted to avoid criticism. 

9 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Olivia Wilde could be snapped in half if a horse rode by her too fast.   I think your off base thinking Lyanna looks like her.  There is virtually no way she is that skinny.  In fairness, none of the other women mentioned in this thread are realistic either.

Agreed. Athletic is a term I would better use to associate with Lyanna. More of an Artemis, Hippolyta, or Atalanta than a Helen or Persephone.

8 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

Sure. But this book seems to be quite open-minded on beauty although westeros is based on Middle Ages. 

Many darker skin people were described as attractive beauty by many people. Like myrish beauty taena and summer isle woman alayaya and those black pearl courtesans etc. 

I think GRRM applied some modern views on it. Maybe he wanted to avoid criticism. 

I hate to pull this out as an explanation, especially when he gives quotes that he is equally influenced by historical fiction as he is fantasy fiction (considering them sisters separated at birth), but it is a fantasy novel about a world that is fictional, based in part on reality, but not completely realistic at the same time.

2 hours ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

Nothing racist about different skin colors. My skin is pretty olive. Nothing wrong with noting that.

I'm not sure where people are going with this, though, and I don't get the argument about Jon, who has Stark features, but in fact sounds Martell in a weird way: He's got dark eyes, dark hair, his skin tone is darker than Robb's, and he's also slender and lithe. Maybe that's what Lyanna looked like, too. lol maybe Rhaegar had a thing for Mediterranean(ish) women. Opposites attract, etc.

2 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Well duh, which is why i said i don't associate her with Lyanna, and by looks i meant face not body built

1 hour ago, WhitewolfStark said:

Agreed. Athletic is a term I would better use to associate with Lyanna. More of an Artemis, Hippolyta, or Atalanta than a Helen or Persephone.

Theon mentioned Lyanna as a slim girl, the slim sad girl to be exact so i don't think she looked athletic either. Maybe not Olivia Wilde skinny but definitely not Arthemis type. Odd he didn't mention her as beautiful

1 hour ago, redtree said:

Well duh, which is why i said i don't associate her with Lyanna, and by looks i meant face not body built

Theon mentioned Lyanna as a slim girl, the slim sad girl to be exact so i don't think she looked athletic either. Maybe not Olivia Wilde skinny but definitely not Arthemis type. Odd he didn't mention her as beautiful

Svelte, then?

The biased pov of the WB describes her as "boyish", and I would assume all that time practicing with a lance, riding horses, and playing with training swords and sticks, would build some kind of athletic ability and muscle.

Honestly though, Theon was 4 years old when Lyanna died, and he didn't come to Winterfell for another 6 years after she was dead and buried. Any knowledge of how she'd looked would be based upon what the stone carver who did her grave, and that's assuming the best. So, considering that Theon never saw her in real life, I really wouldn't trust a dream of his to give a reliable impression of what she really was--but instead what he thinks she was like--but that's me.

Archived