About the look of Lyanna Stark

purple-eyes

I saw somebody talking about the look of Jon and described him having some Dornish features. 

I believe he is son of rhaegar and lyanna. although rhaegar had some Martell blood from daeron's wife, it does not look like GRRM's genetics work in this way. In his book, children usually took look from parents, not long-time ancestors. 

So rhaegar has typical valyrian look. Silver hair, indigo eyes and fair skin. And we know nothing about lyanna's look. 

Jon, has dark hair, almost-black deep grey eyes, Stark long face, and slightly darker skin (compared to a fair-colored robb).

So he looks Very different from his father. I think it is safe to assume he took his mother's look, just like rhaenys took Elia's look.

In fact, House Targaryen has a rule here: first born of a bride from other houses must follow mother's look. 

We have rhaenys, baelor, daeron the drunk, dunk the small, jon snow, possibly tyrion, no exception so far. (Maybe aegon ii? But we do not know his look and alicent's look, I saw he looked like his father, but still, no idea how Alicent look like) 

So can we say this is what lyanna looks like? (Planning to do some fanart so want to be accurate) 

Dark hair, deep grey eyes, long stark face, and slightly darker skin. And also slim, like theon saw in his dream. 

Skin color may be not natural. Both jon and lyanna like outdoor stuff, so maybe they just got tanned. (HBO show oberyn said she is pale, but show is show, and I guess compared to oberyn's olive skin, most of northernmen are pale.......)

Too bad world book did not provide a bigger portrait for lyanna. 

They gave all nine aegon's mistresses and six maegor's brides and three princesses big portraits. For such an important woman lyanna, they only gave her a super small one in the HH figure! Along with elia and ashara! And I have to say that one does not look very beautiful or impressive. And it does not look like a 14 years old girl either with that huge breasts. (Maybe 14 year old girl can indeed have that, but........)

It is said in the books that Arya looks like Lyanna  and that Arya and Jon have the "Stark" look.  It works well with R+L=J that Jon would take after his mother in the looks dept and how he could stay hidden up north for so long. Once it was safe to say that Jon looked all stark, Ned never had to speak of Jon's mom ever again 

1 hour ago, purple-eyes said:

They gave all nine aegon's mistresses and six maegor's brides and three princesses big portraits. For such an important woman lyanna, they only gave her a super small one in the HH figure! Along with elia and ashara! And I have to say that one does not look very beautiful or impressive. And it does not look like a 14 years old girl either with that huge breasts. (Maybe 14 year old girl can indeed have that, but........)

Robert would not have been too pleased with that image, I bet. (Yandel dedicated it to Robert first, then Joffrey and finally to Tommen)

2 hours ago, Hos the Hostage said:

Robert would not have been too pleased with that image, I bet. (Yandel dedicated it to Robert first, then Joffrey and finally to Tommen)

Nor would Robert like the description of Lyanna in the world book. I think she's described as somewhat average and tomboyish. Yandel definitely didn't think much of her or was purposely depicted her as less striking. Maybe the maester thought that Robert won't read a tome like that anyways so he was trying to impress Robert's father in law instead. There's definitely a strong pro-Tywin and anti-Aerys bias in all the later chapters with the exception of the comments on Joanna being groped by Aerys and dismissed from court. Why would anyone risk putting something like that in the books, when Tywin was still alive is beyond me. 

18 minutes ago, Joan Jett said:

Wait where does it say that Jon has darker skin?

This comes from an interpretation of Bran 1 AGOT, where Robb is called fair skinned and immediately thereafter Jon is called "dark where Robb is fair".

"The deserter died bravely," Robb said. He was big and broad and growing every day, with his mother's coloring, the fair skin, red-brown hair, and blue eyes of the Tullys of Riverrun. "He had courage, at the least."

"No," Jon Snow said quietly. "It was not courage. This one was dead of fear. You could see it in his eyes, Stark." Jon's eyes were a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see. He was of an age with Robb, but they did not look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast.

Robb was not impressed. "The Others take his eyes," he swore. "He died well. Race you to the bridge?"

Ergot one can interpret that as Robb has paler skin than Jon, who has darker skin.

5 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I think that she would had been a good Ashara but she hasn't Ellaria's olive skin.

What exactly is olive skin? 

Still a white skin but tanned, right? 

I thought Eva green is sort of olive skin. But I can be completely wrong. 

35 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

What exactly is olive skin? 

Still a white skin but tanned, right? 

I thought Eva green is sort of olive skin. But I can be completely wrong. 

The way I understand it olive skin is the Mediterranean skin, like Salma Hayek, and Eva Green most definitely don't look like being one.

15 minutes ago, A Song of Ass and Fire said:

Dark brown looks farmer than black in that picture... And she is still pretty light skinned.

I know a lot of Sudanese guys from my work with refugees, and they are so much darker than "black" they make both dark brown and black look like a very light brown in comparison.  I've heard of them referred to as blue-black.

I agree, but I thought it did a good job of separating Olive, Tan, Medium (aka what used to be called "Swarthy"), and Fair rather well. It was the best picture I could get using Google Images after searching for a while.

2 minutes ago, Joan Jett said:

That's what I was thinking.

It could be stretched to that, however considering GRRM uses the word fair attached to Robb's skin tone directly in the paragraph before this it's stretching the analogy IMO. Using that very word once again in the following paragraph to help contrast the coloring between Robb and Jon could be argued that the intention is skin tone.

However, back in Medieval age, often Fair and Swarthy were contrasted in storytelling and descriptions as "light and dark", and as I posted with that picture: swarthy is the old-fashioned term for "medium" skin tone (which is only a tick darker from "fair"). So Jon being "dark" can be anything from "swarthy" on down. All it simply means is that Robb is paler than Jon IMO. And Robb could be a bone white pale Irish redhead while Jon's simply "swarthy".

1 hour ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

The way I understand it olive skin is the Mediterranean skin, like Salma Hayek, and Eva Green most definitely don't look like being one.

I googled Salma Hayek. actually I knew her but I can not remember her skin color. 

She looks like a white woman with some yellowish tone. So this is olive skin?

Then I guess dornish is much more paler than dothraki who are set as bronze. 

Archived