Anyone else still deliberating over watching Season 6?

Mr Smith

I'll watch, if for no other reason than to not have to avoid show spoilers online. I likely won't enjoy it due to the incredibly negative perception I have on the show after season 5, so I guess that makes me a hatewatcher.

I'm just taking the approach that anything the show does cannot really spoil the books, because the story is so far off-rails in so many places that there's no reason to assume that even big moments or plot points are not show inventions. They might be or might not be, but it's not really a spoiler if I have no way of telling. Even when hopefully one day I'm reading the books and a plotline or invididual scene is going roughly the same way as on the show, I can't know whether it'll take a completely different turn in the next paragraph.

If AffC/DWD came out now, how much of them would have the show really spoiled so far? Not that much, I'd say. I mean, some scenes and events are superficially the same, such as Jon getting stabbed or Dany riding Drogon, but even in those the whys and hows are completely different. If the show doesn't have White Walkers attacking the Wall in season 6, that doesn't mean it won't happen in the next book; maybe the show just delays it for the final season because it's more dramatic that way or something. If the show has Jon resurrected by Mel then that doesn't mean Jon doesn't just perma-warg Ghost in the books. If the show has Arya sneak back to the Red Keep and stab Cersei and Tommen, then that doesn't mean she ever goes to King's Landing again in the books.

I hate the show but I'll be watching it anyway because I will hear all about it regardless. I'm also morbidly curious about how much worse it can get.

I'm not too concerned about spoilers because they are inevitable at this point, and as far as I'm concerned the show is already massively off-book (characterisations are in many cases practically the inverse of what they are in the books, anything of complexity has been stripped out, internal logic is being abandoned, etc.).

Besides, by the time the last book comes out the show will be an unpleasant but fading memory.

I'll watch, though my enthusiasm's waned since S5. I watched every other season multiple times but not the last one.

Can't keep waiting for the book, want to know what happens next and as others have said, the show's diverged enough to be very different so what the hell?

I also think most of the characters will hit their ultimate book fates regardless of the diversions in between e.g. Sansa. So it'll be a case of different journey, same destination.

Lena Headey is also one major reason I'll watch.

I will watch. I really wanted to read TWOW first and am disappointed as heck that it's not out yet.

When I first realized that, I actually did tell everybody who would listen that I wasn't going to watch until after I read the book.

But then I remembered: I started reading the books after watching the first season, and it had no effect on how much I enjoyed and loved the books. And I have reread them twice all the way through and will do so again to prepare for TWOW.

20 hours ago, aFeastForDragons said:

Not a chance I'm putting myself through more inconsistent plot hole filled glorified fan fiction again. S5 was a train wreck and painful to watch at times. I'll stick to Vikings and whatever better shows come out in the future. 

Vikings? buahhahaha it's amateur hour compared to GOT, especially its third and fourth season.

A show hater with showTormund's avi? lol

2 minutes ago, Khione said:

Vikings? buahhahaha it's amateur hour compared to GOT, especially its third and fourth season.

Well quite. I'm a fan of Vikings, but its not really as good, it has more brainfarts and bad moments than GoT has ever had. The truth is there are just not many comparable shows that are as good. 

It was entertaining if nothing else, now it lost even that reedeming quality. The worst thing about Vikings is the acting, oh man it's been cringe fest all around since the beginning. I can't think of a single good performance, Travis Fimmel's comes close but he's still just the best of a bad bunch. 

14 minutes ago, Khione said:

It was entertaining if nothing else, now it lost even that reedeming quality. The worst thing about Vikings is the acting, oh man it's been cringe fest all around since the beginning. I can't think of a single good performance, Travis Fimmel's comes close but he's still just the best of a bad bunch. 

It's the inverse of game of thrones which has almost universally excellent acting, and you can count on one hand the amount of genuinely poor performances over 5 seasons 

After I watched The Last Kingdom, partially because of Martin's endorsement, Vikings look blindingly good now.

I won't watch GoT, now, as much as I think show is generally shit I will still watch it after book is out. To me watching GoT is akin to watching fail videos on YT or Asylum films, it is mildly amusing, but on the second thought I doubt I should watch it.

Even if the show was all that I think it should be, done to the highest standards, I still wouldn't watch it, matter of spoilers and principles.

@Channel4s-JonSnow Yes. I've only ever had major gripes with the performances of Emilia, Sybil, Gwendoline and those Sand Snakes actresses (excluding the cameo role of Daario 1.0). An even bigger contrast to Vikings in terms of acting would Breaking Bad, which had impeccable cast (apart from RJ Mitte who still wasn't that bad).

2 minutes ago, Khione said:

@Channel4s-JonSnow Yes. I've only ever had major gripes with the performances of Emilia, Sybil, Gwendoline and those Sand Snakes actresses (excluding the cameo role of Daario 1.0). An even bigger contrast to Vikings in terms of acting would Breaking Bad, which had impeccable cast (apart from RJ Mitte who still wasn't that bad).

Well exactly, and the fact that we pretty much had precisely the same poor performances in mind shows how much they stand out in a show of almost impeccable acting talent. 

Vikings on the other hand, has sort of passable acting, which occasionally you have to wonder if it's good or dreadful, it borders on both at the same time ( looking at you Floki and Ragnar). It's also often written as if it's a school play with incredibly expositional dialogue making sure nobody misses anything. Subtle it is not. But it's fun. 

You can dislike GoT all you like but whatever you say the production values, acting and talent are absolutely top tier on the whole. 

3 hours ago, Khione said:

Amateur hour? Did you see how bad the choreography was in the fight scenes in Dorne and Mereen? There are gifs showing just how bad those fights were. I've seen kids play with sticks that could out act the Teenage Ninja Sand Snakes and Stormtrooper Unsulled. Look at any scene and its pathetic how they weren't scraped. Extras just stand around looking cluless and the Sand Snakes are trying to hold in laughs as they spin around and at one stage shake her legs on the ground before she gets back up. If thats not amateur hour then I don't know what is. 

Show hater? I loved Season 1- 2, S3 had a lot of faults because of pacing but S4 was a lot better. S5 was a trainwreck. 

7 minutes ago, aFeastForDragons said:

Amateur hour? Did you see how bad the choreography was in the fight scenes in Dorne and Mereen? There are gifs showing just how bad those fights were. I've seen kids play with sticks that could out act the Teenage Ninja Sand Snakes and Stormtrooper Unsulled. Look at any scene and its pathetic how they weren't scraped. Extras just stand around looking cluless and the Sand Snakes are trying to hold in laughs as they spin around and at one stage shake her legs on the ground before she gets back up. If thats not amateur hour then I don't know what is. 

Show hater? I loved Season 1- 2, S3 had a lot of faults because of pacing but S4 was a lot better. S5 was a trainwreck. 

Really poor choreography in a few scenes in 5 seasons, vs poor acting, writing, direction etc in 4 whole seasons.. its not really a good comparison.

38 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Really poor choreography in a few scenes in 5 seasons, vs poor acting, writing, direction etc in 4 whole seasons.. its not really a good comparison.

Why do you need to compare it to other show to prove your point, instead of presenting actual argument.

Just now, HairGrowsBack said:

Why do you need to compare it to other show to prove your point, instead of presenting actual argument.

Tormund up there decided to make the comparison, which is fair enough, but if someone wants to do that they they leave themselves open to comparison of the shows. I like both, but Vikings has numerous flaws that get overlooked because there aren't the book fans to complain about things.

3 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Tormund up there decided to make the comparison, which is fair enough, but if someone wants to do that they they leave themselves open to comparison of the shows. I like both, but Vikings has numerous flaws that get overlooked because there aren't the book fans to complain about things.

Well it seems that the show defenders sparked the argumentby stating that the show was "well above the others" (which is a ridiculous argument, no offense).

6 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

Some folks around here like "Vikings" and other shows and compare them favorably to GoT, and some fans can't stand that. 

As for "poor acting," I suspect Gabriel Byrne, Donal Logue, Linus Roche, Jessalyn Gilsig, and many others who've appeared on "Vikings" would probably disagree. Along with fans of the show. 

I just don't get it. Not everyone likes "Vikings." Not everyone likes pizza. Not everyone likes single-malt scotch. Just because someone likes something and you don't, doesn't make it bad or them stupid, no?  

3 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Some folks around here like "Vikings" and other shows and compare them favorably to GoT, and some fans can't stand that. 

As for "poor acting," I suspect Gabriel Byrne, Donal Logue, Linus Roche, Jessalyn Gilsig, and many others who've appeared on "Vikings" would probably disagree. Along with fans of the show. 

I just don't get it. Not everyone likes "Vikings." Not everyone likes pizza. Not everyone likes single-malt scotch. Just because someone likes something and you don't, doesn't make it bad or them stupid, no?  

Is this directed to me or someone else ? I'm tired and confused, sorry.

I have no problem GoT being compared to other shows. I have plenty of shows I think are better than GoT. The Wire, Fargo, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, House of Cards.. all fantastic shows. I'm also aware of Game of Throne's failings. 

But I always find it hilarious when people come out with ridiculous hyperbole, calling Game of Thrones 'Dreadful', and how they will never watch such a terrible show.. when even objectively on many levels its superior to shows like Vikings, or Outlander, which are mid tier to good shows, but don't even come close in so many ways. 

No problem people taking the piss out of the show, it deserves it for some things, but the over top reaction is what is so mindblowing and makes peoples arguments rather redundant.

5 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

Is this directed to me or someone else ? I'm tired and confused, sorry.

Not you! At the show fans who are repeatedly either condescending or insulting when someone posts that they liked "Vikings" or "Outlander" or "Black Sails" or "DaVinci's Demons" or insert show here. I was trying to make a point that people have varying tastes, and not everything will delight everyone. 

Get some rest! Sorry about the confusion. Your posts make a lot of sense! 

Archived