Anyone else still deliberating over watching Season 6?

Mr Smith

I was in denial about watching it. That until GRRM talked about the twist. And to be honest, it's pretty funny to see all that crap going on. My boyfriend won't watch it with me because last season I kept yelling, laughing or just hating what was going on. I'll watch the repetition of it with a bong next to me to secure the fun while watching the crazy story of Game of Thrones.

I'm sure the Soviets put up guards around their camps during the Winter War but that didn't stop snow-camouflaged Finnish guerrillas familiar with the terrain inflicting hugely disproportionate damage to their camps. Substitute Molotov cocktails for flaming arrows and you are in the same ballpark as Ramsey's guys. It's very unlikely everyone of the attackers would have survived, sure, but successful guerrilla tactics by small forces against vastly superior odds are hardly unheard of.

But pretty much every great action/adventure/fantasy/horror film or TV show has some unlikely or implausible scenes anyway. It's meant to be escapist drama.

I think maybe some forget that this is what ASoIaF/GoT is at heart. Yes it has a few interesting things to say about the human condition, you are meant to be engaged emotionally, but it's also meant to be a rollercoaster ride not a historical documentary.

And wildlings climbing a 700ft sheer wall of ice with stone-age tools is far more bonkers than anything added to the show. But that's ok too imo.

There was never a debate.  My husband and I plan on watching the show just as we always have...every Sunday evening as it airs.  In fact, it's sort of refreshing to know that for the first time ever, neither of us will know what's going to happen (for the most part).  That will be exciting in and of itself.

On 14.03.2016 at 11:00 PM, Daske said:

I'm sure the Soviets put up guards around their camps during the Winter War but that didn't stop snow-camouflaged Finnish guerrillas familiar with the terrain inflicting hugely disproportionate damage to their camps. Substitute Molotov cocktails for flaming arrows and you are in the same ballpark as Ramsey's guys. It's very unlikely everyone of the attackers would have survived, sure, but successful guerrilla tactics by small forces against vastly superior odds are hardly unheard of.

But pretty much every great action/adventure/fantasy/horror film or TV show has some unlikely or implausible scenes anyway. It's meant to be escapist drama.

I think maybe some forget that this is what ASoIaF/GoT is at heart. Yes it has a few interesting things to say about the human condition, you are meant to be engaged emotionally, but it's also meant to be a rollercoaster ride not a historical documentary.

And wildlings climbing a 700ft sheer wall of ice with stone-age tools is far more bonkers than anything added to the show. But that's ok too imo.

Or how the wildling arrows actually reached those on top of The Wall (or am I misremembering?). GOT made it apparent it's logically impossible unless you're a Giant with a big ass bow and arrow. ASOIAF series has its fair share of headscratching events.

I'll watch it, but I am not in any way excited like I was before the last seasons.

When I watched S5 the first time, I didn't actually realize most of it's flaws, I just felt strangly detached and disappointed.

So I forgot about it for a few months and over the christmas holidays was like: OK, let's give it another try, follow the plot carefully and without comparison to the books (It's been years since i read them, so I can't remember much details anyway), enjoy the story the show is telling and get psyched for next season.

Oh boy, did that plan backfire. Actively looking closer and not projecting their book-counterparts on the characters made it way worse. My once huge love for the show (I pretty much forced everyone in my circle of friends into watching it too) was gone entirely.

I am really, really hoping they make up for it in season 6, but I also can't have any tolerance left for more bullshit.

Also, I am not overly concerned about spoiling the books for me. I was spoiled on a bunch of things (even the Red Wedding) and is was still a great read. Mainly because the characters are what fascinate me, not the events.

That is also why I personally prefer Vikings over GoT at the moment. They have fewer good actors and lower production value than GoT, a pretty bumpy plot and all that religious visons/hallucinations/prophecies mumbojambo that don't really like.
But despite all that, they somehow make me interested in the characters, care about them, feel for them, trying to understand their motivations, even though they are all pretty terrible, crazy people from time to time. Just like early GoT or ASoIaF did. Even Joffreys death in the books made me a bit sad because it felt more like the loss of an interesting character then "Yeah, the villain finally got what he deserved". JOFFREY, ffs.

No character dying on the show could make me feel that way at the moment.

I will definitely watch. I like and enjoy the show, just as I like and and enjoy the books. I imagine that most people on the boards will also watch. What else would they have to do if they could not watch, and then run here and write thousands of posts on how they hate the show. Some of those people have posts that number in the tens of thousands and the posts are very lengthy. It makes me feel a bit sad. They obviously have a lot of energy and some of them show quite a bit of imagination and cleverness. They should take all that hate and direct it towards writing a book. It's a shame to waste all of that time and energy on something so insignificant as hating a TV show. All of that work could be a couple of books by now instead of thousands and thousands of posts about D&D.  

8 minutes ago, Lovely Lyanna said:

I will definitely watch. I like and enjoy the show, just as I like and and enjoy the books. I imagine that most people on the boards will also watch. What else would they have to do if they could not watch, and then run here and write thousands of posts on how they hate the show. Some of those people have posts that number in the tens of thousands and the posts are very lengthy. It makes me feel a bit sad. They obviously have a lot of energy and some of them show quite a bit of imagination and cleverness. They should take all that hate and direct it towards writing a book. It's a shame to waste all of that time and energy on something so insignificant as hating a TV show. All of that work could be a couple of books by now instead of thousands and thousands of posts about D&D.  

Most of us get the majority of our posts in the book forum FYI.  We don't rant that much, and when we do it's usually about how much we loved that particular part of the book.

Some users here seem to complain about show-ranters way too much. Almost in every comment they make.

37 minutes ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

Of course you'll all watch It. Season 6 will probably have the highest ratings yet.  GoT is a phenomenon, like it or not.  All the online hate is so divorced from reality.  

Episode 6 last year (Sansa's rape) provoked a swift dip in ratings that "Hardhome" overcame just as swiftly.

Online hate divorced from reality? Only if you view it as a total numbers issue. Show fans may like the little mirrors D&D are selling them, but they also can detect bullshit from time to time. And TV public is very whimsical.

21 minutes ago, Myrish Swamp-Thing said:

Some users here seem to complain about show-ranters way too much. Almost in every comment they make.

Episode 6 last year (Sansa's rape) provoked a swift dip in ratings that "Hardhome" overcame just as swiftly.

Online hate divorced from reality? Only if you view it as a total numbers issue. Show fans may like the little mirrors D&D are selling them, but they also can detect bullshit from time to time. And TV public is very whimsical.

Yes, the hate is very nit-picky and exaggerated.  There is plenty to criticize about the show, but on here it's over the top.  Meanwhile most of the viewing public love the show.  They're just not vocal online about it. 

43 minutes ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

Yes, the hate is very nit-picky and exaggerated.  There is plenty to criticize about the show, but on here it's over the top.  Meanwhile most of the viewing public love the show.  They're just not vocal online about it. 

:agree:             I think it is a shame they do not write their own stuff. It is a lot of work to write all of those posts. 20,000 posts at 4 or 5 words a pop is 80,000 - 100,000 words. That's a book and most of those posts have a lot more words than 4 or 5 words in them. Double it to 8 - 10 words and that's two books.  Some of them have written enough for 5 - 10 books.

I once read something about Margaret Mitchell only writing Gone with the Wind. She wrote tons of letters, but never another book. At one point she even said something about if she had not wasted her time writing all of those letters, she could have written another book. 

If I could write and express myself as well as some of these posters can, I would not waste my time writing here. 

You know, the ones who weren't affect by this and criticisms of the book deviation are the show viewers and those who decided to read the book after the show is done were ultimately spared from the agony. A pretty cleaver decision if you ask me.

Thanks for that I have my moments I don't know if this helps any of you but think of them as parallel universes with their own Canon that is what I do with Harry Potter I am not reading the books until all of them are out but I love reading wikis to give me hints no spoilers for me this season

Long ago settled on not-watching. Not just because I don't want a twisted version of the untold story, but also because it just isn't fun anymore. I honestly don't like this version of the story at all, and I'm done with it.

I prefer a finished version of a story...one with a point...over an unfinished work.

Did you ever hear the one about an (actor, writer, athlete) who received so much (acclaim, attention, money) so early in their career that they (derailed, got lazy, got scared, went nuts) just so they didn't have to live up to the hype?.....yeah, me too.

27 minutes ago, ssls6 said:

I prefer a finished version of a story...one with a point...over an unfinished work.

Did you ever hear the one about an (actor, writer, athlete) who received so much (acclaim, attention, money) so early in their career that they (derailed, got lazy, got scared, went nuts) just so they didn't have to live up to the hype?.....yeah, me too.

I think I'd take an incomplete Kubrick over a finished Michael Bay.

Archived