Which character would make the best spouse for Sansa Stark?

TimJames

IF she ever marries/stay married (it's possible she ends up as Tyrion's or whoever else's widow and never remarries, as a sort of Elizabeth the First) and IF he survives (I'm not sure about that), then I think Tyrion will be the best choice.

Politically, it would do only good to Westeros... it would unite Starks and Lannisters, as it happened in real history when the War of the Roses ended with Henry the VII Tudor (descendant of an illegittimate branch of house Lancaster) marrided Elizabeth of York, so that the Tudor's symbol is a white+red rose. The couple married only for political reasons BUT in time the grew to genuinely love each other and when she died, he was terribly distressed.

She would help him get a better public image (people even started to not dislike a man man like Jeoffrey, thanks to Maergery and her beauty and 'clever generosity'.. Tyrion has a poor public image because he's an Imp and his family would be on the losing side at the end of the world) and he would advise her wisely and help her reaching her full potential as a woman and 'politician'.. actually, I think he would be the best choice for the woman she is becoming:

- he is probably one of the most 'progressive' husbands she could ever get in that world, meaning that he would encourage her to learn about finance, politics or any other topic, to read, he would leave her own decisions to her and he wouldn't object if she wanted to actually 'rule' even if she's a woman (he knows like no other how it feels when you're suited to do something but you don't get the consideration you deserve because your appareance is the 'wrong one', he admired Catelyn Stark which was a strong woman, he wants a woman with 'wits' - he was totally surprised that Bronn would marry a dim-witted woman and it was clearly implied that he would never - and when Tyrion and Sansa were together as a married couple, he wanted to share things with her and when GT asked him permission for Sansa to dance with him, he answered that "my lady can dance with whomever she pleases")

- he genuinely cared about her and not only about Winterfell or sex (there is that part in the books where he says to himself that he would like to make her laugh and share her pains if she only opened up to him, etc… you just don't want to share other peoples' sorrows if you don't care about them) and she is constantly sad at the idea that her suitors want her only for Winterfell;

It's true book-Tyrion is particularly ugly (which is hard for us book and show watchers to remember because PDinklage is a cutie), but she is not 13 anymore and I think she has come to respect him and his kindness to her after the has left KL. This doesn't automatically mean she would be able to fall for him (he would fall for her, I think) but I think there's at least a chance that, in time, she might.

Tyrion had enough respect not to rape her, etc., but she's not attracted to him, and her feelings against the Lannisters are, for extremely good reasons, negative. On top of that, Tyrion is Tywin's son, hence emotionally damaged. He doesn't love Sansa; he wants to know where whores go. Lannister-Stark would be a good combo, though.

Sandor, the popular romantic choice is (imo) a disaster in any setting that doesn't involve crazed fan fic fantasies, in that he is seriously damaged, much older, with anger-management issues which can only be controlled by immuring himself in a monastery. Granted, Sansa respects him and is attracted to him. She's also terrified of him, which is smart of her and does not bode well for a relationship. A union with the Cleganes brings little to the table for her family.

Willas Tyrell would have been ideal. Cat wanted Robb with a Tyrell: they're a wealthy, powerful family, an excellent complement to the Starks. The Tyrells are a bit like the Starks in that they are close knit. Olenna, Garlan, Marg, Loras, Mace all seem relatively stable, a contrast to the Clegane and Lannister siblings. The only thing known about Willas--that he doesn't hold a grudge against Oberyn, who crippled him--makes him sound like a fairly sane human being.

2 hours ago, Elisabetta Duò said:

IF she ever marries/stay married (it's possible she ends up as Tyrion's or whoever else's widow and never remarries, as a sort of Elizabeth the First) and IF he survives (I'm not sure about that), then I think Tyrion will be the best choice.

Politically, it would do only good to Westeros... it would unite Starks and Lannisters, as it happened in real history when the War of the Roses ended with Henry the VII Tudor (descendant of an illegittimate branch of house Lancaster) marrided Elizabeth of York, so that the Tudor's symbol is a white+red rose. The couple married only for political reasons BUT in time the grew to genuinely love each other and when she died, he was terribly distressed.

She would help him get a better public image (people even started to not dislike a man man like Jeoffrey, thanks to Maergery and her beauty and 'clever generosity'.. Tyrion has a poor public image because he's an Imp and his family would be on the losing side at the end of the world) and he would advise her wisely and help her reaching her full potential as a woman and 'politician'.. actually, I think he would be the best choice for the woman she is becoming:

- he is probably one of the most 'progressive' husbands she could ever get in that world, meaning that he would encourage her to learn about finance, politics or any other topic, to read, he would leave her own decisions to her and he wouldn't object if she wanted to actually 'rule' even if she's a woman (he knows like no other how it feels when you're suited to do something but you don't get the consideration you deserve because your appareance is the 'wrong one', he admired Catelyn Stark which was a strong woman, he wants a woman with 'wits' - he was totally surprised that Bronn would marry a dim-witted woman and it was clearly implied that he would never - and when Tyrion and Sansa were together as a married couple, he wanted to share things with her and when GT asked him permission for Sansa to dance with him, he answered that "my lady can dance with whomever she pleases")

- he genuinely cared about her and not only about Winterfell or sex (there is that part in the books where he says to himself that he would like to make her laugh and share her pains if she only opened up to him, etc… you just don't want to share other peoples' sorrows if you don't care about them) and she is constantly sad at the idea that her suitors want her only for Winterfell;

It's true book-Tyrion is particularly ugly (which is hard for us book and show watchers to remember because PDinklage is a cutie), but she is not 13 anymore and I think she has come to respect him and his kindness to her after the has left KL. This doesn't automatically mean she would be able to fall for him (he would fall for her, I think) but I think there's at least a chance that, in time, she might.

not happening. Sansa would be better off with a Ryswell, Harrion Karstark, Jaime Lannister, Patrek Mallister or many others if Tyrion and Sansa marry it will jsut be cheesy.

2 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

not happening. Sansa would be better off with a Ryswell, Harrion Karstark, Jaime Lannister, Patrek Mallister or many others if Tyrion and Sansa marry it will jsut be cheesy.

I respect your opinion but I disagree that it would be cheesy. Now Jon and Sansa, that would be cheesy, imo... "the handsome Targ heir and the red-haired Stark beauty who once called him bastard marry for love". With that, I'm not saying Tyrion+Sansa is gonna happen (i'm not ever sure he'll be alive, he could die at the very end) but I think it's a marriage who would be politically very smart and might even prove to be a wise choice on a personal level.

I want Sansa to marry the guy she wants. She has been used the entirely time as a political plaything. So I would be happy if she can decide the one she wants to marry and just because she is attracted to and in love with him. 

I think at this point it's safe to assume Sansa has moved well beyond her earlier/youthful notions about marriage. She is becoming mentally tougher and more capable of acting independently to achieve her goals. So, all that to say, no one is a good fit for her. Sansa is destined to either fall or rule on her own.

Archived