Rugby IV - Striking Hookers Are Back In Fashion

Which Tyler

11 hours ago, The Number 10 said:

WP Nel was out injured. It would have been a different story in the scrum had he been available.

That's true, he's perhaps the most important player in the side in terms of how difficult it is to replace him. At least there are some young players getting some good experience in the absence of him and Dickinson which might help in the future.

In fairness Fagerson's a very good young player and he did ok, although, yeah, Nel probably would have done better. The Wallabies have a good scrum now though. People tend to assume they're shite because they have been so often but Sio, Moore and Kepu is a good front row and they've improved a lot since Ledesma took over as scrum coach. I'm not sure Argentina have a better scrum anymore with Ayerza not playing.

An online study aimed at assessing health impacts of ex-rugby players of all levels (physical tests also available for those who want them, and can get to Leeds easily).
This sort of study is a very, very good thing; so let's all help out if we can. This is "proper" medical research btw, not the sort of undergrad project we sometimes get asked about.

The cohorts they're looking for are: over 30s who used to play rugby; over 30s who used to play non-contact sport; or over 30s who haven't played sport since leaving school.

http://www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/ukrugbyhealth/

How's the mind and body holding up now that you've retired from rugby?

If you are a retired rugby player or non-contact sports athlete, or someone aged 30 years or over who has never taken part in competitive sport post school, we need your help to find out more about the long-term health implications of playing rugby – and it’s all for the good of the game.

This is the first international study of it's kind. The findings will be combined with those from the recently completed New Zealand Rugby Health project in an international effort for large scale evidence on player health post-retirement. This information will be shared with World Rugby and national governing bodies. By participating, you’ll be making a vital contribution to the welfare of future generations of rugby players.

(Just in case you're wondering... by 'retired' we mean from regular matches and training, the occasional game is fine).

In addition to completing the online questionnaires, you can attend a free clinical evaluation at the Carnegie Research Institute, Headingley Campus, at Leeds Beckett University for a more in-depth assessment of your health. For more information about what is involved in all parts of the study, please see the menu below or contact us.

This project is medical research, so if you want to take part we will need you to complete a consent form, confidentiality is assured. You will be asked to complete the two online questionnaires, which should take 20-30 minutes each.

Really looking forward to the Ireland-New Zealand game tonight, it should be a cracker.

The All Blacks will be really fired up and they should definitely be stronger with Retallick and Whitelock back in the second row, Leinart-Brown is probably a boost for them as well. Interesting to see they've stuck with Smith and Barrett as well despite a few question marks. Ireland have a similar side apart from O'Brien back in, it'll be interesting to see if they can impose themselves to the same degree on the All Black pack, or sufficiently to put themselves into a position to win anyway. You'd think it'll be hard with the All Blacks pack improved and they tend to adapt very quickly to teams causing them problems. Having said that they have they have home advantage and the monkey off their backs of never having beaten New Zealand.

Great day of rugby so far. England played well in parts, though their defence has become a worry and they offered little at the breakdown. Good to see Italy beat the Saffers and so disappointed that Wales squeaked past the Japanese. Really hoping for a great game between NZ and Ireland now.

Well that quickly looked to be a massacre committed by a ruthless English team, but as the game went on, the Polynesians still scored 3 tries. All of them based on sheer unstoppability. You could see that when they came close to the try line, every time the English really really struggled. It looked like a vulnerability on England's side. Compensating for all of that is the fact that England is a much better rugby side, far more complete, more disciplined, and also not lacking physical power themselves. The Fiji had a couple of mountainesque players . Their number 7 for instance was the size of a lock, he was definitely as big as Launchbury. This guy Naholo on the wing, 6'5 and 140 kg, it's hilarious in a way because he was not much of a fast runner but certainly a freight train. Fun to see Englsih bodies bounce off him as he went.

On England's side I thought Goode was a revelation. I have nothing against Brown but it's hard to look past how fresh Goode looked, what a player. I thought Daly had a quiet game on the wing whilst his partner Roku stood out a lot more. I imagine he will continue challenging guys like Watson, Noel and Yarde for a starting spot. Harrison was fine as a no. 7, I did not notice Hughes who replaced him. I suppose both of these guys are good young alternatives for Haskell and Tom Wood, so it seems to me that England is strong in depth on that position as well. Of course I believe Jack Clifford is the guy who is also very young and ahead of all of them except for Haskell isn't he.

Other than that, Launchbury excellent again. Lawes solid, as were the props and Vunipola. I would always pick Ford to play no matter what anyone says because I just really like his style.

I couldn't watch the Ireland-New Zealand game because I was stuck in A&E but I've just caught up with it. Good game.

The All Blacks started strong but they actually spent most of the game on the back foot, the lack of Irish cutting edge cost them. Losing Sexton and CJ Stander probably didn't help. The All Blacks were fairly cynical when put under pressure but I do think the very pro Irish Sky commentary team were a little over the top complaining about it. Cane probably should have got a yellow card for the tackle on Henshaw but I'd say that's about it for missed decisions.

And then this happened, where a player who by rights ought to be serving a lifetime ban will get away with further thuggery, because his victim just about had time to get away. DOC will probably pick up a hefty ban though.

http://sport.bt.com/video/ocallaghan-incensed-by-challenge-from-clark-91364114335486

Billy Vunipola's injured? That's not great for England's chances next week.

Good game in Dublin. I thought Ireland were going to walk it in the first half but they had to rejig their backline and Australia really upped it in the forwards in the second half. The Wallabies were probably a bit unlucky to lose in the end.

Vunipola did his knee and had to be put on the cart, even though he was only 5 metres from the touchline.

Good game from Ireland. Didn't enjoy the Irish commentator saying Australia were now odds on for the grand slam when they took the lead with 10 minutes to go!

Ireland vs Australia was massive. Really powerful game from start to finish.

I thought that on the whole, the Aussies just seemed a little bit better. They really had the momentum in the second half and had some great runs that fell just short of try due to knock-ons.

Ireland was of course better the first half, but they really were about to give it away in the second, simply because the Aussies came up with some great stuff. However the tide was halted when the Irish brought on some substitutions. All in all I feel I have watched a game between two very evenly matches teams, and either side deserved a win.

I felt the England game was much less exciting in comparison. The early red card, sure, but then the Argies cou;dn't get through a 14 man side England either, and that is telling really. Big shame about Vunipola, while he will obviously miss next week's big clash, I cross my thumbs in the hope that he makes the Six Nations.

Also caught the first half of Scotland running riot over the Georgians. The Scots can look back at a very strong showing this autumn.

I did not see anything of Wales win against a completely new look South Africa.

Archived