What is D and D's endgame?

7 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Nope, pretty sure GRRM signed them over to D and D, for all of Westeros and Essos - not just ASOIAF.

Nope, HBO acquired the rights to ASoIaF as well as film and television rights to the world of Westeros. Martin mentioned this on NaB a couple of years back.

8 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Nope, pretty sure GRRM signed them over to D and D, for all of Westeros and Essos - not just ASOIAF.

I'm almost positive the rights to A Song of Ice and Fire went to HBO not to Dan and Dave personally.  HBO would have to be pretty stupid to have paid the $$$ to GRRM on behalf of two independents who got the legal rights.

3 minutes ago, W. Wrycthen said:

Doubtful. If they were to do a second series such as Dunk and Egg there would have to be massive renegotiations.

What is doubtful?  You agree with me.   

11 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Huh. I in turn distinctly remember George himself, in some interview, talking about HBO owning the rights to the setting, in context of possible adaptations of prequels/sequels/other (as HBO would have to be brought on board).

1 minute ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Huh. I in turn distinctly remember George himself, in some interview, talking about HBO owning the rights to the setting, in context of possible adaptations of prequels/sequels/other (as HBO would have to be brought on board).

Then HBO got them in their contract with D and D, not from GRRM as he no longer owned them.

It is known, read the post from another earlier in the thread about them knowing Jon's mother.  Also, D and D approached HBO, not GRRM, and they did not do so until after they had the rights.

I will go find the old articles, but with everything GoT it is not a trivial search...

"But back in 2005, screenwriters David Benioff and D.B. Weiss were a pair of untested showrunners who’d fallen in love with George R.R. Martin’s epic series. They pitched themselves to the novelist over a lengthy lunch at Hollywood’s Palm that stretched out into dinner. When they passed his pop quiz — correctly answering “Who is Jon Snow’s mother?”— they won the right to convert the novels into a TV series.

Yet their road from fans to filmmakers wasn’t always a smooth one. Here, they recount their crash course in bringing the famously long novels — the shortest one clocks in at just under 1,000 pages — to the screen."   http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/game-of-thrones-ending-season-5-producers-interview-1201469516/

Now to find contract details.

5 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

It is known, read the post from another earlier in the thread about them knowing Jon's mother.  Also, D and D approached HBO, not GRRM, and they did not do so until after they had the rights.

I will go find the old articles, but with everything GoT it is not a trivial search...

No, sorry, it is known about them approaching GRRM, and them approaching HBO, and them making the deal happen, but not about them actually ever owning any copyrights.

GrapeFruitPerrier - You are incorrect. HBO, not D&D, own the rights to ASoIaF.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/365715.html?thread=18977939

I am frequently asked whether or not there are any plans for Dunk & Egg movies or television shows.  There has been interest, yes, but the rights situation is complicated.  Film and television rights to the characters and the three published Dunk & Egg stories remain with me at present... but HBO, when acquiring the rights to the SONG OF ICE & FIRE novels, also acquired film and television rights to the world of Westeros.  So if we did Dunk & Egg with anyone else, we would need to remove all the references to House Targaryen, the Iron Throne, etc... not completely impossible, but certainly undesireable.  Whereas if HBO decided they wanted to make a Dunk & Egg miniseries or TV movies, they'd first need to buy the stories.  That's a much more attractive proposition for all concerned, I think... but if it happens, it will happen years from now, not tomorrow, and not next week.

20 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Grrm gave his blessing tho or he would not have went with it, until they answered his questions correctly about jon snows mom

14 minutes ago, The Truth said:

To make as much $ as possible by putting out a mediocre product with the least amount of effort possible

If money was their only objective, they would keep the series running for as long as possible. And little effort? Did you watch some of the behind the scenes videos? GOT is one of the biggest television productions in history, and clearly a lot of work goes into it. 

16 minutes ago, W. Wrycthen said:

This can't be for real. Oh emm eff gee ...

They bought a fictional continent or planet lawl?

And what's so lolworthy about it?

Westeros is a creation. Creation is copyrighted. Copyrights can be bought and sold.

BTW, don't go making movies set in Middle Earth, either, without asking the copyright owners their leave.

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don't know if you're referring to my post, but in case are and just to clarify, I didn't mean a GoT film at all.

I was reminded of the GOT-movie rumors by your post, yes. But apologies if I got that wrong.

Btw, most people think I am just a hater trying to kill hype when I bring the point forward that there won't (more like than not) a GOT-movie. This was not my intent. Nevertheless, what did you mean then if not a GOT-movie?

Archived