I feel bad for the sand snakes actresses

Asma Ben Hamouda

12 hours ago, Cz-99 said:

No. The girls will get a second chance; they will not get a third.

One way or another, GoT will be added to their resumes. 

7 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Your career only suffers if the show / movie you are in is a commercial failure. A couple of those and your career is dead. Being crap in a successful movie will very rarely ruin your career.

Well, sure, as long as you're white. Look how many chances Hollywood gave Ryan Reynolds until he finally had a hit with Deadpool after almost a decade of making nothing but bombs. Or look at Chris Hemsworth, who every time he steps out of Marvel turns into box office aids. But Lupita Nyongo wins an Oscar and she has to settle for playing a talking orange in Star Wars. 

25 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Well, sure, as long as you're white. Look how many chances Hollywood gave Ryan Reynolds until he finally had a hit with Deadpool after almost a decade of making nothing but bombs.

Ryan Reynolds isn't a very good example of this since Deadpool was in development for over a decade with Reynolds chosen for the title role and he's the one who kept pushing for the movie to be finally produced.

2 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Well, sure, as long as you're white. Look how many chances Hollywood gave Ryan Reynolds until he finally had a hit with Deadpool after almost a decade of making nothing but bombs. Or look at Chris Hemsworth, who every time he steps out of Marvel turns into box office aids. But Lupita Nyongo wins an Oscar and she has to settle for playing a talking orange in Star Wars. 

Lupita didn't settle for anything. Like one of the first things she said after winning that Oscar was she wanted to try motion capture work because it fascinated her. And she did, because she can. 

One of her next projects is literally about a girl who plays a good game of chess. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4341582/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

I think the Sand Snakes were given very one-dimensional roles in the show compared with the books.  Not the fault of their actresses at all, and I doubt if it will harm their careers.  A pity, as I would like to have seen their characters developed more. 

4 hours ago, HodoringHodor said:

Ryan Reynolds isn't a very good example of this since Deadpool was in development for over a decade with Reynolds chosen for the title role and he's the one who kept pushing for the movie to be finally produced.

So? He still had a wild streak of big budget box office duds, including Green Lantern and R.I.P.D. Actors of color don't get that many chances after they failed so spectacularly to draw people to the theaters. 

2 hours ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

Lupita didn't settle for anything. Like one of the first things she said after winning that Oscar was she wanted to try motion capture work because it fascinated her. And she did, because she can. 

One of her next projects is literally about a girl who plays a good game of chess. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4341582/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

Sure, we can pretend she's had the same amount of big-profile roles like Jennifer Lawrence and Alicia Vikander, both of whom are leading huge franchises.

Or we can accept that there are less roles for minorities. 

17 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

So? He still had a wild streak of big budget box office duds, including Green Lantern and R.I.P.D. Actors of color don't get that many chances after they failed so spectacularly to draw people to the theaters. 

Sure, we can pretend she's had the same amount of big-profile roles like Jennifer Lawrence and Alicia Vikander, both of whom are leading huge franchises.

Or we can accept that there are less roles for minorities. 

I didn't say anything about franchises. You said she had to settle for cgi. That's not true, it was a goal of hers to do cgi characters because of her interest in motion capture. End of story. 

22 minutes ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

I didn't say anything about franchises. You said she had to settle for cgi. That's not true, it was a goal of hers to do cgi characters because of her interest in motion capture. End of story. 

Somehow I doubt she would've done the talking orange thing if she'd been offered better roles like, I don't know, a lead part in Tomb Raider or X-Men or a shoe-in for the Oscars. 

But believe what you want. 

9 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Somehow I doubt she would've done the talking orange thing if she'd been offered better roles like, I don't know, a lead part in Tomb Raider or X-Men or a shoe-in for the Oscars. 

But believe what you want. 

She said she wanted to do mo-cap before being offered Star Wars. If it was her professional goal to do a mo-cap role, she very well may have chosen Star Wars over other roles. Which she no doubt did being hot off an oscar win. 

11 minutes ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

She said she wanted to do mo-cap before being offered Star Wars. If it was her professional goal to do a mo-cap role, she very well may have chosen Star Wars over other roles. Which she no doubt did being hot off an oscar win. 

Like I said, believe what you want, man. But even if we accept that, I still don't see her headlining franchises or being in Oscar nominated films like her white peers. It's really telling that the biggest profile role she got after her Oscar win was a secondary mo-cap role. And this is an Oscar winner we're talking about  Now think of the actors of color who haven't made it that far, see if you like their odds. 

But I guess it was her professional goal to be offered less roles, or something?

21 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Like I said, believe what you want, man. But even if we accept that, I still don't see her headlining franchises or being in Oscar nominated films like her white peers. It's really telling that the biggest profile role she got after her Oscar win was a secondary mo-cap role. And this is an Oscar winner we're talking about  Now think of the actors of color who haven't made it that far, see if you like their odds. 

But I guess it was her professional goal to be offered less roles, or something?

No, it's just her professional goal to take the roles she wants to based on what she wants, not what awards she might win or how much money is in it. If you really think she didn't get big offers after a historic oscar win than that's just ignorant. And if she somehow isn't getting offers now, it might have something to do with Disney snatching her up before offers can be made, considering her last 2 movies were Disney, her upcoming starring role is Disney, and her next rumored big role is...Disney. 

2 hours ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

No, it's just her professional goal to take the roles she wants to based on what she wants, not what awards she might win or how much money is in it. If you really think she didn't get big offers after a historic oscar win than that's just ignorant. And if she somehow isn't getting offers now, it might have something to do with Disney snatching her up before offers can be made, considering her last 2 movies were Disney, her upcoming starring role is Disney, and her next rumored big role is...Disney. 

Ok, Hollywood isn't notoriously racist. Gotcha. 

9 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Yup.

3 hours ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

She literally said she wanted to do motion capture cause she felt limited by her physical appearance in the roles she was being offered.  http://www.usatoday.com/videos/life/movies/2015/12/16/77404376/

I don't know why her physical appearance would limit her choice of roles, she's a very beautiful woman, unless...

Also, Deadpool sucked.  Why do people like that movie?

9 minutes ago, thehandwipes said:

Yup.

She literally said she wanted to do motion capture cause she felt limited by her physical appearance in the roles she was being offered.  http://www.usatoday.com/videos/life/movies/2015/12/16/77404376/

I don't know why her physical appearance would limit her choice of roles, she's a very beautiful woman, unless...

Also, Deadpool sucked.  Why do people like that movie?

The way she speaks about it intimate, beyond insecurities and more about creative outlets for her as an artist. It doesn't seem like someone who's uncomfortable in her own skin. And to quickly address your point on her being beautiful. If she was insecure about her appearance, she could be the prettiest person in the world and that wouldn't be enough to convince her otherwise. Those types of insecurities are rarely physical at it's core, but rather mental. It's like the opposite of Idris Elba going from a powerful role like Nelson Mandela, the going back to Thor. He was disappointed. She is excited to step away from something so draining and powerful so she can try something new and have fun with it. She lives and acts in an age where the old line "You can be anyone or anything when you're an actor." is actually true. She's got that Oscar and that hype, she can basically write her own ticket.  And it's not as if she's only doing these experimental roles. Her next film is about a Kenyan girl who plays chess. Sounds like Oscar bait too. She's doing fine and having fun with it too. 

18 minutes ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

The way she speaks about it intimate, beyond insecurities and more about creative outlets for her as an artist. It doesn't seem like someone who's uncomfortable in her own skin. And to quickly address your point on her being beautiful. If she was insecure about her appearance, she could be the prettiest person in the world and that wouldn't be enough to convince her otherwise. Those types of insecurities are rarely physical at it's core, but rather mental. It's like the opposite of Idris Elba going from a powerful role like Nelson Mandela, the going back to Thor. He was disappointed. She is excited to step away from something so draining and powerful so she can try something new and have fun with it. She lives and acts in an age where the old line "You can be anyone or anything when you're an actor." is actually true. She's got that Oscar and that hype, she can basically write her own ticket.  And it's not as if she's only doing these experimental roles. Her next film is about a Kenyan girl who plays chess. Sounds like Oscar bait too. She's doing fine and having fun with it too. 

I don't think she's uncomfortable in her own skin and I'm glad her relationship with Disney is working out well btu she's still limited by the fact that "race-neutral" roles and particularly leading roles go almost exclusively to white actors.

14 minutes ago, thehandwipes said:

I don't think she's uncomfortable in her own skin and I'm glad her relationship with Disney is working out well btu she's still limited by the fact that "race-neutral" roles and particularly leading roles go almost exclusively to white actors.

True. Unless it's The Rock. If the Rock's available he trumps almost any actor. He just smiles and the role is his. It's a gift. 

[MOD]

OK folks.

This topic is about whether their involvement in the Dorne plotline on GoT will hurt the career of the actresses involved.

This topic is NOT about generalised racism in Hollywood.  If you want to argue that, go create a thread in the Entertainment forum.

Please stay on topic.

[/MOD]

3 minutes ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

True. Unless it's The Rock. If the Rock's available he trumps almost any actor. He just smiles and the role is his. It's a gift. 

Or Denzel or Will Smith.  Hollywood is motivated by money like any other industry, not white supremacism.  But the burden of trying to get good roles for actors of color is much higher unless they are specifically written for a person of a certain race in which case its much more difficult to get the movie greenlit and will reach a much smaller audience.

On 5/24/2016 at 9:38 AM, Asma Ben Hamouda said:

it's mid season 6 and so far we didn't see the sand snakes and I think that we will never see them again.

The actresses got lot of hate and they went out through the back door and now, after season 5 and the first episode 1 of season 6, I've changed my mind, I'm blaming the writing/directing for the dorn disaster

I really feel bad for the actresses because I fear that their performance in Game of Thrones will have catastrophic consequences on their career, and honestly I don't think that they deserve it because it wasn't their fault

Do you think that this will have serious consequence on their professional careers or can they bounce back from Dorn flop?

I actually like the actresses but the sandsnakes are poorly written so I hope the writing gets better. 

Archived