[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussions - First We Take King's Landing Edition

Ran

Yes, Linda's videos were great. 

Finn Jones who played Loras is one of the few actors who has read the books. He basically stated that he preferred the book version of his character over the show version. Which already made him sympathetic to me. The actor who played Barristan Selmy (forgot his name) did the same thing. 

If you liked Finn Jones you might want to look into Iron Fist once it airs. He plays the leading role and Netflix has produced some good quality shows in the past. D&D could learn something from the writers of Jessica Jones when it comes to adressing trauma and PTSD

23 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

Yay i finally found a place where i belong lol. Everyone around me is always raving about the show and I'm just like :rolleyes:

Anyways, I wanted to ask you guys a question. Is there ANY character left in the show that you actually care about?

My sister never read the books but even she can tell how ridiculous the writing has become and how these characters are so OOC. I can see her constantly eye rolling throughout the episodes lol. I don't understand how people still call this "The best tv series ever!"

Welcome Moonmoon!

Characters I care about? The surviving wolves, and perhaps Gendry. There are many more characters I wish to see toasted by dragonfire, because I barely can stand another scene of them.

11 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Welcome Moonmoon!

Characters I care about? The surviving wolves, and perhaps Gendry. There are many more characters I wish to see toasted by dragonfire, because I barely can stand another scene of them.

hahaha...I know one who wasn't toasted last season....:P and another who deserves all the wildfire from the world

23 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

Yay i finally found a place where i belong lol. Everyone around me is always raving about the show and I'm just like :rolleyes:

Anyways, I wanted to ask you guys a question. Is there ANY character left in the show that you actually care about?

Characters, yes, quite a lot in fact. It's storylines that I don't like. It's not the character's fault. Well.....sometimes it is (Tyrion is an example of a character I liked a little and that now I really really can't stand bc of what the show did).

I care a lot about these ones: Bran, Meera, Arya, Sam, Gendry, Jorah, Brienne, Theon  (and wolves). Secondly, but not as much, Jaime, Sandor and Davos.

I still think Larry  can be saved because I love him WHEN he is with Brienne (and FAR AWAY from Cersei ) because they return to be the ones they have to be. I have hope in that we won't see more of Larry. This season has been horrible to see JC.:(

As an Asha fan I care about Yara in the sense that I'd hate to see if she dies but it's not the same character than in the books, and I still would like to see some of the old Sansa, but don't think it's very likely. Missandei and Gilly, not  a fan but they are good girls.Forgot about Jon, not  afan but I want to see him reunited with Arya, but as a character I don't really care much, especially in the show. Dany....mmmm, wouldn't say "care" but she is the best from the Essos storyline (by far) and I sometimes like her in the books and from time to time in the show.

My sister never read the books but even she can tell how ridiculous the writing has become and how these characters are so OOC. I can see her constantly eye rolling throughout the episodes lol. I don't understand how people still call this "The best tv series ever!"

I know a few people who are not readers and have noticed the change in writing too.

16 hours ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

@ Moonmoon: 

Welcome, nice ranting

I don't understand why people call it the best TV series ever, either.

The characters I care about right now are: 

Ghost, but they really try to honour his name.

I really like Meera in the show.  The fact that she basically gave up everything in order to help Bran makes her really sympathetic to me. Instead of running and trying to save her own life after the whole Hodor thing the still tried to save Bran, knowing that she would most likely die as well. I think these factors make her one of the morally best characters of the show. How many of us would do the same?  Unfortunately she's sort of a backround character right now.

Somehow I really like Cheryl/ Charol. She's not Cersei from the books, but somehow I like her. Even after the wildfire thing. Maybe because I hope that she will just blow the entirety of Westeros up? 

It's good that your sister recognises how terrible the writing has become. In the past I've watched each season twice. Once after it aired in the US and then again when it aired in my home country (which is usually 10 months after the US release). I normally did the second watch together with my parents who have not read the books and who are really casual viewers and don't really know the name of the characters. Daenerys is "the girl with dragons", Cersei "the blonde evil queen", Jon "the guy at the wall", etc. None of us liked season 5 and when I told my mother what kind of stuff happened in season 6 she said "this is ridiculous how did they get an Emmy for this?". She recognised that it was bad without even having watched season 6. I also convinced her to read the books and I hope that she'll start soon. 

Thank you! :) I agree with you regarding meera. I totally forgot about her but yeah she's a pretty decent character in a show full of awful characters. I actually feel bad for her. Sometimes i wish for her to just leave bran behind :P

I can't with cheryl though lol. How did she end up on the throne without a single objection? I wish it made some sense but i guess I'm expecting too much from dumb & dumber? 

4 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Welcome Moonmoon!

Thank you! :) So all the MIA characters, huh? lol Gendry's still rowing :P I won't be surprised if they bring him back this season only for him to die a "shocking" death.

@Mindwalker They totally butchered Loras' character. I feel so bad for the actor. He was just there to play some "gay" dude on the show. 

@Meera of Tarth Wow! That's a lot of characters. I guess you are very forgiving lol. At least you have a reason to continue watching the show. Just like @Ruhail, i don't care about anyone on the show anymore. They've ruined every single character i ever loved :P

6 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

Thank you! :) I agree with you regarding meera. I totally forgot about her but yeah she's a pretty decent character in a show full of awful characters. I actually feel bad for her. Sometimes i wish for her to just leave bran behind :P

I can't with cheryl though lol. How did she end up on the throne without a single objection? I wish it made some sense but i guess I'm expecting too much from dumb & dumber? 

It's easy to forget Meera, because she's just a backround character right now. 

No clue how Cheryl ended up on the throne and it made no sense. After she has killed the high septon and the beloved queen Margaery the smallfolk should be rioting against her. However, I still care about cheryl, because I find her entertaing and because she's a more interesting villain than Joffrey, Ramsay and the White Walkers. Apart from that she's still more complex than most other characters on the show and while quite a few of her scenes are badly written, they are still better written than the scenes for most other characters. It'really clear that she's one of D&D's favourite characters. 

My assesment of the characters was just based on the show itself when I do a comparison with the books I have to say that all of my favourites were ruined (sometimes this happened before season 6). I used to be upset that they haven't included Arianne Martell, but now I'm actually relieved about it, because they had no possibility to ruin her. 

5 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

Just like @Ruhail, i don't care about anyone on the show anymore. They've ruined every single character i ever loved :P

Who were your favourite characters? 

Thank you! :) So all the MIA characters, huh? lol Gendry's still rowing :P I won't be surprised if they bring him back this season only for him to die a "shocking" death.

@Mindwalker They totally butchered Loras' character. I feel so bad for the actor. He was just there to play some "gay" dude on the show. 

@Meera of Tarth Wow! That's a lot of characters. I guess you are very forgiving lol. At least you have a reason to continue watching the show. Just like @Ruhail, i don't care about anyone on the show anymore. They've ruined every single character i ever loved :P

Who were your favs?

Gendry will definitely return next season. Some pictures of Joe Dempsey on set have been leaked. Apparently he will have a bigger role, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just kill him off or if they never bother explaining what he's been up to, since he rowed away from Dragonstone.

Are all of you planning to watch season 7? I'm not really sure if I will. My only reason for doing so is that the show will give us an ending before GRRM does, but I could just read summaries of the episodes in order to find out what happened. On the other hand I can only rant when I watch the show and ranting has turned out to be quite fun. Well I still have several months to decide whether I'll watch season 7 or not. 

21 minutes ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

Reveal hidden contents

Gendry will definitely return next season. Some pictures of Joe Dempsey on set have been leaked. Apparently he will have a bigger role, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just kill him off or if they never bother explaining what he's been up to, since he rowed away from Dragonstone.

Are all of you planning to watch season 7? I'm not really sure if I will. My only reason for doing so is that the show will give us an ending before GRRM does, but I could just read summaries of the episodes in order to find out what happened. On the other hand I can only rant when I watch the show and ranting has turned out to be quite fun. Well I still have several months to decide whether I'll watch season 7 or not. 

No i'm just going to stick with summaries and the 2 reviewers I watch

Just now, Lady of Whisperers said:

Who are the 2 reviewers you watch? I assume they have a rather critical opinion of the show. 

Maybe I might watch them, too. 

Preston Jacobs and a small channel called Ravor Rants

2 hours ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

This is the main reason:D

There are storylines that I care about and I also want to know the story ending, so I would. of course, if s7 turnes out even worse than I wouldn't. "Don't torture yourself, Gomez." (c)

1 hour ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

Hide contents

I definitely won't! I didn't watch season 6 either. I just read recaps & watched certain scenes. That's what I'll be doing for season 7 too.

@Ruhail @Lady of Whisperers My fav characters from the show, right? Cuz the books' list is too long to type. :P Tyrion, jaime, arya, tywin, ned, hound, varys, oberyn and catelyn. Never liked jon and dany for some reason (i think its because of their acting). Stannis was ruined even before the show went to shit. I liked those characters till season 3, after that we all know what happened. I'm glad they are not introducing arianne. Look what they did to doran and euron. They ruined theon/reek who was my favorite pov from book 5. Davos suddenly became jon snow's fanboy lol.  I hope they kill all my beloved characters so that they don't have to suffer anymore like stannis :P

On ‎20‎-‎10‎-‎2016 at 0:27 PM, Lady of Whisperers said:

The characters I care about right now are: 

Ghost, but they really try to honour his name.

I really like Meera in the show.  The fact that she basically gave up everything in order to help Bran makes her really sympathetic to me. Instead of running and trying to save her own life after the whole Hodor thing the still tried to save Bran, knowing that she would most likely die as well. I think these factors make her one of the morally best characters of the show. How many of us would do the same?  Unfortunately she's sort of a backround character right now.

Yes I agree especially about Meera. I realize she's sort of my favorite character on the show at the moment. But I have a feeling she will be put aside after Bran gets to Winterfell. :(

I also still care about Nymeria, wherever she is.

I haven't watched the show since season 5.  All I do is read reviews and recaps from Fandom Following and Turtle-paced on tumblr. They give better analysis  and criticize the show's plot holes more than paid journalists. Seeing some leaked shooting stills it looks like some very blah characters(boring actors) are going to be paired romantically. It also seems that there will be more teleporting.

I am so annoyed that we'll the GOT vision of how the series ends before we get the real version that will take place in the books.  This is why I wish George had book 6 done or mostly done when he agreed to the show. Then he could have been writing ADOS the last seven years and that would be released before the end of the show. I don't want their version to muddle how people view this series or if they'll read the books.

At the very least, after Season 7-8 (looks like TWOW won't come out before then) I hope GRRM comes right out and tells us, the book readers, if the show ending is in anyway similar to the books or not.

Up until now, the story has deviated so much that we have only have plots which were guessed long back spoiled (Jon coming back, Dany getting all the Dothraki, Arya leaving the FM, so on). The only big shocker was Hodor this season, like Shireen last season.

9 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

At the very least, after Season 7-8 (looks like TWOW won't come out before then) I hope GRRM comes right out and tells us, the book readers, if the show ending is in anyway similar to the books or not.

Up until now, the story has deviated so much that we have only have plots which were guessed long back spoiled (Jon coming back, Dany getting all the Dothraki, Arya leaving the FM, so on). The only big shocker was Hodor this season, like Shireen last season.

In theory the ending has always been the same, and I don't think Martin will tell it before, unless he becomes  a writer of S8.

Archived