Cersei's Monologue - The Show Stealer

atonement

1 hour ago, Red Dragon10 said:

I don't know why people think that screaming and crying is the only way to react to the death of someone you love.  The fact that she is mostly responsible for his death may be exactly why she reacted the way she did.  She is shut down completely..a robot.  Everything has been burned away that was good in her...all that is left is vengeance and wrath.  If she was to allow herself to grieve she would have to face the fact that SHE killed him.  So she blocks everything out and grasps at the only thing there is left for her - to take power and pour out her wrath on everyone that ever hurt her or those she loved. 

Plus, it has been sinking in that the prophecy is actually unfolding, and that she is going to lose everything.  Knowing that is your future, that you will lose everything you hold precious, is a 100% bleak, hopeless future.  For someone like Cersei, you can do what she did, or you can kill yourself.   

Well I didn't say that people have to cry and scream. I recognize that different people react differently to different things. However, that's the way Cersei reacted to her other children so I didn'treally like her indifference to Tommen. She reacts emotionally to everything especially when it comes to her children. That's part of the reason she was in that situation in the first place. I get the interpretation she was just accepting the prophecy or she was just hopeless & that's why she reacted the way she did. I just interpreted it differently. Seemed to me she only reacted indifferently bc of how he died. Bc she was disappointed in him. Just a difference of interpretation & opinion. 

On 6/27/2016 at 8:33 PM, Johnimus said:

I read that (the reaction to dead Tommen) as her finally giving in fully to her madness. She's embracing it now. Any hint of compassion or love within her has been expunged, for good. She's got one goal now, and it's to bend the world to her will, until the valonquar comes. That look at Jaime at the end, from the Throne - that gave me the chills. I think she knows it's him.

She doesn't know Jaime is the valonqar because there was no valonqar part of the prophecy in the show. I'm not saying the valonqar prophecy won't be fulfilled as it's described in the book, just that the prophecy itself does not exist in this show, so the character in the show cannot think about it.

2 hours ago, Red Dragon10 said:

I don't know why people think that screaming and crying is the only way to react to the death of someone you love.  The fact that she is mostly responsible for his death may be exactly why she reacted the way she did.  She is shut down completely..a robot.  Everything has been burned away that was good in her...all that is left is vengeance and wrath.  If she was to allow herself to grieve she would have to face the fact that SHE killed him.  So she blocks everything out and grasps at the only thing there is left for her - to take power and pour out her wrath on everyone that ever hurt her or those she loved. 

Plus, it has been sinking in that the prophecy is actually unfolding, and that she is going to lose everything.  Knowing that is your future, that you will lose everything you hold precious, is a 100% bleak, hopeless future.  For someone like Cersei, you can do what she did, or you can kill yourself.   

This is why I suspect all of the focus on "how does Cersei hope to hold onto power?" might be a bit misdirected, I'm sure she'll make efforts to but I won't be supprised if the real drama doesn't come from her political machinations but rather her mental state and how this relates to Jamie and her rule as a whole.

Cersei on the Iron Throne will be the most entertainment out of Kings Landing we've had since Joffery sat on that throne. When Cersei sent the Mountain to hold Tommen from going to Baelors Sept, she showed more concern over his well being than Tommen ever showed her. Tommen acted with Paralysis the entire period of Cersei's captivity and Walk of Shame, banished Jaime from the Kings Guard and indirectly served a death sentence on Cersei when he abolished trial by combat.

Its totally within Cersei's character the way she reacted to Tommens death, especially after her doing what she could to save him and he rejected Cersei and Jaime every step of the way. Tommens actions are the actions that would be a severe dissapointment to Cersei and Tywin as well. He was too weak to ever be on that throne and helpless in the face of the High Septons subtle power plays.

Good riddance to all that got taken out in Kings Landing. They died at the hands of a sinnister player, but few if any of them were innocents or angels. They all had their own motives but they rode the wrong horse.

22 hours ago, Ludo Kressh said:

I liked the way Olenna shut down the Sand Snakes though, gave us a good Dorne scene for once.;)

I loved the Sand Snakes in the novels and the very fact they let Olenna shut them up so easily I felt was a bit out of character for them. Then again, they wanted something from her, so that could've motivated them to bite their forked tongues. Also, I'm more of a fan of Sassy Olenna in general when she's talking down to Cersei--but that kinda bit her in her wrinkled keister though.

Archived