Acting MVP on the show ?

On 8/8/2016 at 2:38 AM, Cron said:

THE single MVP?

Gotta be Peter Dinklage.  Tyrion is such a critical character, the glue between SO many different characters and story arcs, and of course Dinklage is fantastic.  If Tyrion hadn't "worked," this would be a very, VERY different show. (Have you ever thought about how many characters and story arcs that Tyrion connects?  The answer is VIRTUALLY EVERYONE.   GOT may not have a single protagonist, but there IS  a centerpiece character, and it's Tyrion Lannister.  Who has he NOT been on-screen with?  The people down in Dorne...a few people in the Riverlands...some people up north (but even there, he's been to the Wall, Winterfell, and the Eyrie, among other places).

:agree:

Spot on. I've said the bold many times. Single most important casting imo.

On 7/30/2016 at 11:54 AM, Lyin' Ned said:

Yeah, Ramsay was such a poor replacement for Joffrey, IMO. 

Not for me. Ramsay was played by an equally good actor, except Ramsay was more badass, more dangerous, more sinister, more threatening.....Ramsay would chew Joff up. Joff is like a Bieber in comparison. Not to say Jack wasnt a good actor. His character was just a little chump though.

I liked Richard Madden lots. Sean Bean of course. Props to minor characters like Luwin, Karl Tanner, and another thumbs up to Walder Frey.

On 11/08/2016 at 2:30 AM, of man and wolf said:

Not for me. Ramsay was played by an equally good actor, except Ramsay was more badass, more dangerous, more sinister, more threatening.....Ramsay would chew Joff up. Joff is like a Bieber in comparison. Not to say Jack wasnt a good actor. His character was just a little chump though.

I liked Richard Madden lots. Sean Bean of course. Props to minor characters like Luwin, Karl Tanner, and another thumbs up to Walder Frey.

I think there's a difference between how a character makes an effect within the Game of Thrones world, and how the character makes an impact on the viewer in terms of watchable TV. Joffrey, while being a weaker, less sinister character in the world of GOT, was a better villain for the SHOW than Ramsey. The fact that Ramsey was more unpredictable and dangerous doesn't make him as important a villain, or as 'hateable' a character as Joff.

I'm not making the point well I admit!

On 10.08.2016 at 7:29 PM, mafro987daboss said:

I really dislike Tyrion but even I have to agree that casting for him was essential for the show to be successful. However, the fact that 2 of the 3 main characters don't 'work' (Jon and Dany) is ironic considering the supporting cast is widely perceived as one of the best on TV.

Why do they 'not work' for you?

3 minutes ago, Darksky said:

Why do they 'not work' for you?

They don't really work for a lot of people. It's widely acknowledged that Clarke and Harrington are often wooden and two-dimensional in their acting compared to some of the more experienced cast. The problem is that even some of the less experienced, younger actors (Maisie Williams, Kerry Ingram) have shown more variety than them. I'm just saying that this isn't very common- usually the main characters of a show are the best-acted characters.

Well, more people would disagree. At least in Jon's case. There's been a vast improvement from Kit over the years. He's really good in seasons 5 and 6 in particular.

I refer you to my previous post in this thread.

Also Kerry Ingram, really?

10 minutes ago, Darksky said:

Well, more people would disagree. At least in Jon's case. There's been a vast improvement from Kit over the years. He's really good in seasons 5 and 6 in particular.

I refer you to my previous post in this thread.

Also Kerry Ingram, really?

I don't think Kit was actually that bad in season 2 like everyone else says. I just think he doesn't have the experience and thus isn't very versatile as of yet. Jon isn't exactly a hard character to play.

The take-away point is that a lot of the supporting cast are objectively and widely recognised as giving better performances than two of the main characters. Maybe they improved over the last two seasons (I think Clarke's best season was 1 and she's actually regressed) but the point still stands. It's evident on this site in the 'acting MVP of the show' thread, where neither Kit or Emilia feature in most top 10 lists.

Kerry Ingram's performance in The Dance of Dragons moved me more than anything Kit or Emilia have done in the show.

Kerry Ingram's role in The Dance of Dragons was screaming at the top of her lungs while being burned alive. It's not like Kit and Emilia have ever had to act out a scene like that.

Jon is actually harder to play than, say, Tyrion or Ramsay. 

1 minute ago, Darksky said:

Kerry Ingram's role in The Dance of Dragons was screaming at the top of her lungs while being burned alive. It's not like Kit and Emilia have ever had to act out a scene like that.

Jon is actually harder to play than, say, Tyrion or Ramsay. 

I agree with Ramsey. I have always thought that Ramsey was the easiest major character to play (depends on how you categorise 'major'). I totally disagree on Tyrion, and I like Jon more than Tyrion. When has Jon had to own a scene like Tyrion's in 'Baelor' or 'The Laws of Gods and Men'. I think you place too much on seasons 5/6- Jon's most important seasons and Tyrion's least important.

I think you've oversimplified Ingram's performance- she had that great scene with Davos, a really nuanced one on one with Stannis, and while on the pyre she did much more than just scream, using her voice really well to convey desperation.

2 minutes ago, Darksky said:

Kit's performances in Oathbreaker and BotB trump anything from Kerry.

But whether you agree or disagree on Kerry, there are so many other supporting characters I can draw on that give better performances than Kit in Oathbreaker or BOTB (or Clarke even in her best episodes), which is my main point.

2 minutes ago, Darksky said:

You made it sound like they're the worst. Kit's actually in the 'good' tier. The bad ones are Ellaria/Sand Snakes actors, Isaac Hampstead-Wright, Rose Leslie and Gwendoline Christie. And I only list the significant ones.

My comment was that main characters are usually the best-acted, but that isn't the case in GOT where the main characters are outshone by a lot of the supporting cast. Obviously some of the supporting cast are going to give worse performances - I agree with every single one you listed above - but many give better performances. I can't think of another show where this is the case apart from maybe Orange is the New Black, even though many other shows have just as talented supporting cast members. 

I don't know Rose Leslie for me was better in almost every scene she shared with Kit, yeah the Sand girls are pretty cringey but being very minor characters on the show it aint as big a deal as say 2 main characters being average to good throughout.

If this was a movie and a 2 or 3 scene character wasn't great it wouldn't ruin an other wise great film, having your main star giving a wooden performance is make or break stuff, Kit has definitely improved but it's still a long way off other less important characters performances and Emilia can sometimes bring the show down to some fantasy b movie level when she is on screen.... she would fit right in with the xena warrior princess tv show at times.

On 12 agosto 2016 at 4:47 PM, Darksky said:

Jon is actually harder to play than, say, Tyrion or Ramsay

I hope you're kidding. Jon is almost one-dimensional compared to Tyrion who is one of the most complex characters in the show and Ramsay, though one-dimensional, required acting skills to make him credible.

Archived