The Sloe-Eyed Maid is Ashara Dayne?

hiemal

3 hours ago, Sigella said:

Nope. Sloe fruit is blue, its juice is red, and while used as a colorant it results in pale blue.

I get what you are saying, but it is a deep, deep blue and when people use the phrase in reference to eyes they usually mean a deep purplish-blue. At least that is the impression I have, but it doesn't pop up often. I did not know that about the juice- that is interesting. That's a lot of color for one humble fruit.

3 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

And sloe gin is evil. 

For as many gins-and-tonics as I have enjoyed I've never actually tried sloe gin. Something about the idea of adding anything but the requisite lime seems... sacrilegious.

From Meriam Webster

Definition of sloe–eyed

1. 1 :  having soft dark bluish- or purplish-black eyes

2. 2 :  having slanted eyes

Until this thread, I never knew and never bothered to look up with this meant.  I don't know if this advances your theory or not but Laddy Merryweather, Cersei's Myrish buddy, is described as sloe-eyed as well:

It was a woman's voice, flavored with the accents of the east.  For an instant she feared that Maggy the Frog was speaking to her from the grave.  But it was only Merryweather's wife, the sloe-eyed beauty Lord Orton had wed during his exile and fetched home with him to Longtable.

23 hours ago, hiemal said:

I've been trying to fit the Sloe-Eyed Maid into my theories and this is my most plausible (imho) attempt:

I think this sums it all up.

I'm going to come off like an asshole here, but I gotta say it.

I feel like coming up with ASOIAF theories has become a bit of an art form. The acceptance of these theories seems to be based less on their plausibility and more on how well put together the theory is.

Once you start "trying to fit"a subject into a theory the validity of the whole thing becomes suspect. Theories must be driven by evidence. If you pick any two things, and go looking for a connection (especially a connections that cannot stand by themselves and rely on comparisons,) you will find them.

All that being said, I think this is nicely put together.

16 minutes ago, hiemal said:

For as many gins-and-tonics as I have enjoyed I've never actually tried sloe gin. Something about the idea of adding anything but the requisite lime seems... sacrilegious.

Something my roommate in college introduced me to. It was... Noxious. From what I remember sloe gin is about as different from gin as you can get.  I'm a scotch drinker myself, so my info may be wrong. 

13 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

I feel like coming up with ASOIAF theories has become a bit of an art form. The acceptance of these theories seems to be based less on their plausibility and more on how well put together the theory is.

Once you start "trying to fit"a subject into a theory the validity of the whole thing becomes suspect. Theories must be driven by evidence. If you pick any two things, and go looking for a connection (especially a connections that cannot stand by themselves and rely on comparisons,) you will find them.

Well one thing the Song of Ice and Fire books, the Bible and Nostradamus' predictions share in common that there's just so much text that you can get a lot of evidence for almost every "theory" you propose.

And well, as the OP said, people need something to do while waiting for WoW, so they have a lot of time to piece together imaginary theories and I'd bet before the release of "A Dream of Spring" there will be theories that everybody in Westeros and Essos is Ashara Dayne in disguise.

8 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

I don't disagree, but the lure of interconnected puzzle pieces keeps me jamming away anyways and sometimes I manage to get something that looks like enough of a fit to want to toss it out for comment. I try to be upfront about the tinfoily nature of my contributions and I'm not really looking to make converts, just pointing out what may, after all, just be coincidence and wild speculation.

7 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Something my roommate in college introduced me to. It was... Noxious. From what I remember sloe gin is about as different from gin as you can get.  I'm a scotch drinker myself, so my info may be wrong. 

That's enough of a testimonial for me!

22 minutes ago, hiemal said:

I don't disagree, but the lure of interconnected puzzle pieces keeps me jamming away anyways and sometimes I manage to get something that looks like enough of a fit to want to toss it out for comment. I try to be upfront about the tinfoily nature of my contributions and I'm not really looking to make converts, just pointing out what may, after all, just be coincidence and wild speculation.

That's fair enough.

There certainly are a lot of mysteries waiting to unfold, and when someone guesses it before GRRM spells it out for us, it's probably going to appear in a thread like this.

Archived