Maisie Williams: S7 scripts made me read & RE-READ everything!

a black swan

5 hours ago, Cron said:

Regarding Littlefinger:  There are a number of characters who were around for a while...and then were suddenly gone.  "Suddenly gone" has shock value, which I'd say they seem to like on the show.

With things wrapping up quickly I expect that LF's downfall would be really qucik and will take less than one episode. The most likely scenario for me is that BwB and Sandor Clegane arrive in Winterfell and Sandor exposes LF at some point. As far as remember Jaime and varys are also waare of LF's role in Ned's death, but they are to far away.

10 hours ago, DutchArya said:

It's more likely 701 which many people agree. It's very hard to read anyway.

Jeremy Podeswa is the director photographed with Kit. He is doing ep 1 & 2.

I really hope its only a working title, because it doesn't sound very good. 

6 hours ago, Cron said:

Regarding Littlefinger:  There are a number of characters who were around for a while...and then were suddenly gone.  "Suddenly gone" has shock value, which I'd say they seem to like on the show.

Far as references to things D&D and Sophie said go...those comments are VERY vague, at most.  You say they were "talking up this relationship with Sansa."   Frankly, that's so vague I'm not even sure what that means (I'm not saying I don't believe you, cuz I do believe you are giving your honest views, but without exact quotes language can be VERY slippery, and that doesn't even take into account the possibility of purposeful misdirection by D&D and/or Sophie)

Additionally, Sansa has already said "only a fool would trust Lilttlefinger."  She KNOWS him for what he is.  Why on Earth would she start some kind of romantic relationship with him???  Or any kind of closer relationship with him? She was about a centimeter away from telling Brienne to KILL him.  Does this sound like a budding relationship?  She almost had Brienne kill him, and says only a fool would trust him...hmmmm.  I'm not seeing much quality foundation there.

Just my opinions.

I agree and I was really confused by all the "Sansa doesn't trust Jon" and "Sansa might consider siding with LF" comments, becuse I didn't see that when I first watche the episodes (and I know many other people didn't either). Her character has been written all over the place lately and it becomes really hard to predict what she will do. Still I think it would be very strange for her to side with LF. The majority of the show's viewers are still casual viewers who don't read all the interviews and don't visit boards like this it would be even more unbelivable for them to see Sansa siding with LF. 

19 minutes ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

With things wrapping up quickly I expect that LF's downfall would be really qucik and will take less than one episode. The most likely scenario for me is that BwB and Sandor Clegane arrive in Winterfell and Sandor exposes LF at some point. As far as remember Jaime and varys are also waare of LF's role in Ned's death, but they are to far away.

Varys can travel very fast though :P Still I think it's more likely that Sandor will be involved in LF's downfall. 

12 minutes ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

Varys can travel very fast though :P Still I think it's more likely that Sandor will be involved in LF's downfall. 

Oh speedy Gonzalez Varys:D At least for Sansa Sandor is more trustworthy than Varys. From the other side, playing a part in LF's downfall would be amusing for Varys I assume:

Although, who doesn't like to see their friends fail now and then (c) Varys

7 minutes ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

Oh speedy Gonzalez Varys:D At least for Sansa Sandor is more trustworthy than Varys. From the other side, playing a part in LF's downfall would be amusing for Varys I assume:

Agree. I know quite many people believe that Sansa with take down LF and I would find that interesting. However, I would find it even more intersting if Varys and LF take each other down in some sort of scheming feud until the bitter end. With the two best players dying simultaneously there would be a massive vacuum in the game.

10 minutes ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

Agree. I know quite many people believe that Sansa with take down LF and I would find that interesting. However, I would find it even more intersting if Varys and LF take each other down in some sort of scheming feud until the bitter end. With the two best players dying simultaneously there would be a massive vacuum in the game.

Indeed. I think many parties will be involved in LF's end. Of course, chaos is a ladder for LF, but if things spin out of his control, this chaos will swallow him as well.

I loved the dialogues between Varys and LF back in the s1-s3, but I don't think we will see their ways crossing again at least in the show.

5 hours ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

I really hope its only a working title, because it doesn't sound very good. 

I agree and I was really confused by all the "Sansa doesn't trust Jon" and "Sansa might consider siding with LF" comments, becuse I didn't see that when I first watche the episodes (and I know many other people didn't either). Her character has been written all over the place lately and it becomes really hard to predict what she will do. Still I think it would be very strange for her to side with LF. The majority of the show's viewers are still casual viewers who don't read all the interviews and don't visit boards like this it would be even more unbelivable for them to see Sansa siding with LF. 

I think the "Sansa doesn't trust Jon" and "Sansa might consider siding with LF" talk was driven by the fact that Sansa didn't tell Jon about the Valemen being on their way, which is STILL utterly inexplicable to me (If anyone has heard a good explanation for that, please let me know.  Even though I've read qutie a few claimed explanations, it still makes NO sense to me, especially since, as I strongly recall, when Sansa sent Brienne to Riverrun Brienne expressed concern about Sansa's safety while she would be gone, and Sansa expressly stated words to the effect that she DOES trust Jon.  If someone has quotes from that, that would be great.  I no longer have access to Season 6).

I'm still a huge fan of the show (best t.v. show ever, but still can't match the books), but I strongly agree with you that some of the writing has been "all over the place."  The books were crafted with GREAT care and planning, over many years.   The show has moved past the books, and now seems to sometimes be just slamming out storylines to meet deadlines and keep up the "shock value body count."

My opinion on why Sansa didn't tell Jon?  Cuz that made for more suspense and a better "entrance" for the Valemen, a la LOTR (Gandalf and the cavalry at Helm's Deep)

How did Jon survive the Battle of the Bastards?  With plot armor about 2 feet thick.

How did Arya survive the stabbing and battle with the Waif?  Unless it's revealed Lady Crane had magic healing, the answer is "with plot armor about 2 feet thick."

Why did Arya bake the Frey pies?  Cuz of shock value, not cuz it made any other sense.  (I believe the Frey pies were badly inconsistent with Arya's character, AND extremely implausible from a storytelling standpoint.  As I've stated elsewhere, I believe a TRULY deadly assassin would slip into theTwins, cross off all three Freys and slip back out again before anyone other than her targets ever  even knew she was there, NOT loiter around a kitchen baking human body parts into a pie, thereby dramatically increasing the possibilities that she would be caught and/or her "mission" would otherwise fail.  I believe the Frey pies were 100% shock value, and I'll be very surprised if it happens in the books)

39 minutes ago, Cron said:

I think the "Sansa doesn't trust Jon" and "Sansa might consider siding with LF" talk was driven by the fact that Sansa didn't tell Jon about the Valemen being on their way, which is STILL utterly inexplicable to me (If anyone has heard a good explanation for that, please let me know.  Even though I've read qutie a few claimed explanations, it still makes NO sense to me, especially since, as I strongly recall, when Sansa sent Brienne to Riverrun Brienne expressed concern about Sansa's safety while she would be gone, and Sansa expressly stated words to the effect that she DOES trust Jon.  If someone has quotes from that, that would be great.  I no longer have access to Season 6).

I'm still a huge fan of the show (best t.v. show ever, but still can't match the books), but I strongly agree with you that some of the writing has been "all over the place."  The books were crafted with GREAT care and planning, over many years.   The show has moved past the books, and now seems to sometimes be just slamming out storylines to meet deadlines and keep up the "shock value body count."

My opinion on why Sansa didn't tell Jon?  Cuz that made for more suspense and a better "entrance" for the Valemen, a la LOTR (Gandalf and the cavalry at Helm's Deep)

How did Jon survive the Battle of the Bastards?  With plot armor about 2 feet thick.

How did Arya survive the stabbing and battle with the Waif?  Unless it's revealed Lady Crane had magic healing, the answer is "with plot armor about 2 feet thick."

Why did Arya bake the Frey pies?  Cuz of shock value, not cuz it made any other sense.  (I believe the Frey pies were badly inconsistent with Arya's character, AND extremely implausible from a storytelling standpoint.  As I've stated elsewhere, I believe a TRULY deadly assassin would slip into theTwins, cross off all three Freys and slip back out again before anyone other than her targets ever  even knew she was there, NOT loiter around a kitchen baking human body parts into a pie, thereby dramatically increasing the possibilities that she would be caught and/or her "mission" would otherwise fail.  I believe the Frey pies were 100% shock value, and I'll be very surprised if it happens in the books)

Agree 100% with the things about shock value and plot armour. As you know these are the reasons why I don't like the show anymore, but we had this discussion already and I can understand why some people like it, but it's just not my thing anymore. 

Regarding the Sansa Jon thing: I can't access the videos right now, so can't provide you with the exact quotes. The actors and D&D made some statements in that regard in the "Inside the Episode" of Episode 10 which you can find on YouTube. They basically said that Sansa felt that she wasn't appreciated enough and that she felt that Jon didn't give her the credit she deserves. Similar statements were made by Sophie Turner at Comic Con, but I take these with a grain of salt because:

1. she was drunk

2. she has been known to troll with fans in the past and has often made false statements about the upcoming seasons e.g. before Season 5 aired she said that Season 5 would be a really powerful Season for Sansa and that she would play the Game of Thrones. 

Furthermore, all statements about a possible Sansa/ Jon feud were made, before the actors received the scripts for Season 7. I could imagine that D&D told the actors to say these things, because they need the audience to talk about GoT when there are no new episodes. 

@Lady of Whisperers

well obviously, it's still your thing seeing as you're still here discussing the show. If something stops being 'my thing' I simply drop it. Anything else makes no sense.

@Cron

Arya has had thick plot armour But so has every other main character in BOTH the books and show since the beginning. Especially book Tyrion. GRRM is just as guilty of it. It's fiction, of course important chaarcters won't be killed off prematurely.

Jon's BoTB survival was nothing compared to some of the things GRRM has pulled off. And it was actually intentional on David and Dan's part to show that a lot depends on luck in a chaotic battle. Said so themselves.

As for the pies. What's so implausible about that? She was disguised as a kitchen maid or something. She had full access to the kitchen. it'd be easy to slip one finger into the dough. It's not like she baked an entire body.

1 hour ago, Evarei said:

@Lady of Whisperers

well obviously, it's still your thing seeing as you're still here discussing the show. If something stops being 'my thing' I simply drop it. Anything else makes no sense.

@Cron

Arya has had thick plot armour But so has every other main character in BOTH the books and show since the beginning. Especially book Tyrion. GRRM is just as guilty of it. It's fiction, of course important chaarcters won't be killed off prematurely.

Jon's BoTB survival was nothing compared to some of the things GRRM has pulled off. And it was actually intentional on David and Dan's part to show that a lot depends on luck in a chaotic battle. Said so themselves.

As for the pies. What's so implausible about that? She was disguised as a kitchen maid or something. She had full access to the kitchen. it'd be easy to slip one finger into the dough. It's not like she baked an entire body.

It's not implausible, but extremely out of character and not practical at all.

She should have managed to enter the castle disguised, then find the two Freys, kill them, go to the kitchen, fins a proper knife to at least cut the fingers (she has to hide in the kitchen when she fins the knife), then return to where she has properly hiden the Freys, cut them, return the kitchen and cook a pie or put the fingers in the oven while the cooker doesn't look. O course she can't do that. But why didn't we saw that? Maybe because it's so complicated and unlikely...

it was 100% shock value.

1 hour ago, Evarei said:

@Lady of Whisperers

1. No offense, but considering the fact that I've known myself and my interests for 21 years, I think I know better what things I enjoy than someone who has never met me in person and tries to make a jugment about my interests based on one single comment I've made in an onlineforum. So just believe me when I say that I don't enjoy watching GoT anymore. Just take a look at my signature and the history of my comments (which includes quite a bit of show criticism). 

2. Maybe you drop something when you don't like it anymore, but other people behave differently. In fact there are a lot of people on this board who don't like GoT or outright hate it and still discuss the show. Just take a look on the "Rand and Rave without repercussions" threats. Several of the posters of this threat have also made negative comments about the show in the Rave and Rants of Repercussions threats or elsewhere on this board. There can be many reasons why people still watch the show even when they don't like it. Some watch it because the show will likely give us an ending before the books do others because they enjoy ranting and ranting is easier when you've watched the show and others have different reasons. I didn't enjoy season 5, but I still watched season 6, because it gave me an answer to Jon's fate before GRRM did and because I had hopes that Season 5 was just an "accident" and that the show would improve in Season 6. I'm not sure if I will watch season 7, but my main reason for doing it would be that the show will give us the answer to some questions before the books do. 

3. In my comment to Cron I was stating that "we had this discussion already" and with these words I was reffering to a discussion we had in another threat where I explained to him why I don't enjoy watching the show anymore and one of the reasons I gave for that was that the show put too much focus on shock value during the last two seasons. In case you're interested here's the link: 

1 hour ago, Evarei said:

@Cron

Meerra of Tarth already explained to you why the pie thing was implausible and when it comes to Jon's survival in the BoTB: It was at least implausible that he survives the batlle without receiving some wounds. Especially because he wasn't wearing plate amour or a helmet. GRRM wrote a scene where Tyrion lost his nose, because he wanted to show what happens when you don't wear a helm in battle and most of the characters who have done some fighting have received their fair share of wounds. 

Everything you wrote on why someone who doesn't enjoy something still sticks to it and goes as far as engage in discussions about it all year around still makes no sense to me so let's leave it at that.

As for Jon. Hasn't he received enough wounds already? Maybe the showrunners decided to rinally give him a little break.

on second thought, I wouldn't call being nearly suffocated and crushed by a pile of bodies and receiving some leg strain/injury (he was limping when he approached Ramsay) a little break.

so just unable to move on...

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

It's not implausible, but extremely out of character and not practical at all.

She should have managed to enter the castle disguised, then find the two Freys, kill them, go to the kitchen, fins a proper knife to at least cut the fingers (she has to hide in the kitchen when she fins the knife), then return to where she has properly hiden the Freys, cut them, return the kitchen and cook a pie or put the fingers in the oven while the cooker doesn't look. O course she can't do that. But why didn't we saw that? Maybe because it's so complicated and unlikely...

it was 100% shock value.

Knives are not rare objects, which are hard to obtain. For a kitchen maid, it'd be easy to get one. Or got one from any other place. Not like she actually needed it, she had Needle. Hiding the bodies and slipping in the finger, not complicated. Castle and its grounds are big. Many places to store a body and do whatever with it. She most likely did it all at night, with most people sleeping. And there's no CCTV anywhere. She could have killed them outside the grounds and baked the pie in some nearby village. She could have had Hot Pie do it. Time jump is a thing like in the books.

Distracting the cook or him being distracted by something (searching for/getting the supplies/doing anything else that'd leave the food unattended for a moment or two) is easy. It's like the most natural thing, a non-issue. No one ever stares at the food they're preparing and cooking like a hawk for the entire duration of it. She could have made the pie herself in the castle kitchen in which case she had all the time in the world to put a small object into it. Not like the kitchen of a noble house is small and cramped. So many possibilities. And Arya's creative, sneaky and resourceful. Do we need to be shown every little thing as if we're incapable of figuring things out for ourselves? Poking holes in the whole eh?

23 minutes ago, Evarei said:

on second thought, I wouldn't call being nearly suffocated and crushed by a pile of bodies and receiving some leg strain/injury (he was limping when he approached Ramsay) a little break.

so just unable to move on...

Knives are not rare objects, which are hard to obtain. For a kitchen maid, it'd be easy to get one. Or got one from any other place. Not like she actually needed it, she had Needle. Hiding the bodies and slipping in the finger, not complicated. Castle and its grounds are big. Many places to store a body and do whatever with it. She most likely did it all at night, with most people sleeping. And there's no CCTV anywhere. She could have killed them outside the grounds and baked the pie in some nearby village. She could have had Hot Pie do it. Time jump is a thing like in the books.

Distracting the cook or him being distracted by something (searching for/getting the supplies/doing anything else that'd leave the food unattended for a moment or two) is easy. It's like the most natural thing, a non-issue. No one ever stares at the food they're preparing and cooking like a hawk for the entire duration of it. She could have made the pie herself in the castle kitchen in which case she had all the time in the world to put a small object into it. Not like the kitchen of a noble house is small and cramped. So many possibilities. And Arya's creative, sneaky and resourceful. Do we need to be shown every little thing as if we're incapable of figuring things out for ourselves? Poking holes in the whole eh?

Not a fan of Arya turned a sadist (she becomes a sadist in the finales and then returns to her normal personality), so I'd not have liked to see the details. But I'd have preferred to watch how she managed to do all these things just for curiosity.

I didn't like the Frey pies in the show because it totally out of character of what FM would do. The changing face part was fine and would be enough.

Spoiler

In the books the Frey pies were a part of the NC, where many people were involved and the hints builded up during the course of events. In the show it was just a shock moment. Ned wouldn't approve.

2 minutes ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

I didn't like the Frey pies in the show because it totally out of character of what FM would do. The changing face part was fine and would be enough.

Hide contents

In the books the Frey pies were a part of the NC, where many people were involved and the hints builded up during the course of events. In the show it was just a shock moment. Ned wouldn't approve.

Wast it just a theory from the books.

10 hours ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

Agree 100% with the things about shock value and plot armour. As you know these are the reasons why I don't like the show anymore, but we had this discussion already and I can understand why some people like it, but it's just not my thing anymore. 

Regarding the Sansa Jon thing: I can't access the videos right now, so can't provide you with the exact quotes. The actors and D&D made some statements in that regard in the "Inside the Episode" of Episode 10 which you can find on YouTube. They basically said that Sansa felt that she wasn't appreciated enough and that she felt that Jon didn't give her the credit she deserves. Similar statements were made by Sophie Turner at Comic Con, but I take these with a grain of salt because:

1. she was drunk

2. she has been known to troll with fans in the past and has often made false statements about the upcoming seasons e.g. before Season 5 aired she said that Season 5 would be a really powerful Season for Sansa and that she would play the Game of Thrones. 

Furthermore, all statements about a possible Sansa/ Jon feud were made, before the actors received the scripts for Season 7. I could imagine that D&D told the actors to say these things, because they need the audience to talk about GoT when there are no new episodes. 

Regarding "They basically said that Sansa felt that she wasn't appreciated enough and that she felt that Jon didn't give her the credit she deserves. Similar statements were made by Sophie Turner at Comic Con,"

I fully understand that you are not saying this is your explanation, but rather, your understanding of THEIR explanation, but in my opinion these "explanations" are totally unsatisfactory..

She "didn't feel appreicated enough" and "felt that Jon didn't give her the credit she deserves"...uhhhh...appreciated for what?  Credit for what??  She hadn't done anyhing HELPFUL yet!

I'm assuming these are references to the "war council" meeting with Jon, Sansa, Tormund and Davos, and the conversation Jon and Sansa had afterwards.  To my memory, Sansa offered virtually nothing of any practical value whatsoever.  As I recall, Sansa was complaining that no one was listening to her, so Jon gave her a chance to speak, and what she said was essentially useless.  In fact, she contradicted things she had just said a few episodes earlier (after imploring Jon to retake Winterfell b/c the Boltons had Rickon, Sansa THEN basically told Jon to forget Rickon, there's nothing they can do to save him and Jon should just accept the fact that he's as good as dead.  What??), and then gave Jon nothing useful.  As I recall Jon asked her what she thought he should do, she basically told him she didn't know, and then told him something EVERYBODY knows, which was that Ramsay Bolton was really, really dangerous.  Yeah, no kidding.  I noticed that, too.

Weak, weak, weak.

But ahhhh, whatever ever.  I continue to watch cuz the good still outweighs the bad in my mind (largely b/c I have an intense focus on positivity, I believe), and I strongly suspect that will continue to be true as long as they continue making HBO shows set on Planetos.. 

9 hours ago, Evarei said:

@Lady of Whisperers

@Cron

Let's see...arguably Tyrion surviving the two battles in which he fought in hand to hand combat qualify as pretty extreme plot armor, but I have NO reason to believe that even there Tyrion faced a full cavalry charge alone on foot!!  My friend, the odds of Jon Snow surviving that would have been infinitesimal even if he had been facing down stampeding cattle (it is overwhelmingly likely he would have been trampled to death almost instantly, no question), much less war horses with armored soldiers on them wielding weapons and actively trying to kill him.

And the cavalry charge was just the first few minutes (maybe less) of the battle!  Jon survives encounter after encounter, no one beats him OR stabs him when he's fighting someone else, and he is THEN in such a pressed mob of warriors that he has to strain to squeeze through them...and nobody harms him!  AT ALL!!  I'm guessing that in a mob like that, swords would be dropped (no room to wield them), knives would be out, and it would be total butchering mayhem.   But Jon's fine. Totally unhurt. 

Who else (besides Arya, as I mentioned, and that's just in the show) has faced such "odds" and survived?

Hmm.

Hmmmmmm.

I'm drawing a blank.

Can you give examples?  

Cuz I've read all books twice and seen every show episode probably an average of at least 4 or 5 times, and I'm still drawing a blank.

Can an argument be made that other characters have had some plot armor at other times in the books and show?  Sure, but I can't think of anything else remotely close to Jon surviving the Battle of the Bastards and Arya surviving her stabbing and fight with the Waif (regarding the latter, I'm hoping that next season it is going to be revealed that Lady Cran had magic healing abilities or potions or whatever, but if it's left the way it is I have to judge it "off the charts unlikely."  Sincere question:  Do you realize how BAD it is for a human being to be stabbed repeatedly in the abdomen like Arya was??  It's BAD, cuz there's so much packed in so tightly there, even a SINGLE stab wound can wreak havoc, puncture mutliple internal organs and shred intestines that are packed in there like a nest of snakes.  Multiple stab wounds??? Wow.  And THEN, shortly thereafter, she gets up, runs through the streets of Braavos, and fights and defeats the Waif, cuts off her face, takes it back to House of Black and White, confronts Jaqen (even having the nerve to point her sword at him, if I recall correctly), and is standing there, smiling, JUST FINE, then she strolls out and heads for Westeros.  Again, WOW.)

The number one "implausibility" objection I have to the Frey pies is that no truly deadly assassing would do something so foolish (cuz it endangered her mission) for no greater "pay off" than knowing Walder Frey knew he ate part of a piece of pie with body parts of Freys in it for a split second or two before she crossed him off, too.

Consider:  First, she had to kill Black Walder and Lothar.  Then, she chops off fingers, goes to the kitchen and slips them into some waiting pies (I guess).  THEN, she has to WAIT for the pies to cook (maybe an hour? longer?), knowing that at any moment the bodies could be discovered.  Or did she drag them outside and dispose of them more securely with nobody noticing her doing that?   She is a relatively small girl, so how did she do such things?

Then she had to wait for the pie(s) to cool so she could serve Walder a piece.  Another hour or two? Meanwhile, once again, all that time anyone could have discovered the bodies, OR just noticed that something was really wrong, cuz those two guys were missing and nobody could account for them.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these things are impossible, just highly implausible that a super dangeros assassin would go through all that effort and trouble, while endangering her mission and possibly her own life, just for the highly dubious and fleeting "pay off" of seeing the look on Walder's face just before she crossed him ott, too.

As I've already said, here's my opinion of how it would be written for a truly deadly assassing:  Arya slips in, crosses off the first two, then crosses off Walder Frey within minutes of the first two, then is gone from the building before anyone else even has a clue that she might be there or anything is amiss.

But of course, that would have been so very, very boring. So instead we got Frey pies.

Archived