Is it confirmed Brandon never had sons

Aegon VII

This theory I just came across on a quick search, but it is very interesting, and discusses the possibility that Domeric was Brandon's son.

Any theory that involves a son of Brandon's has to consider the fact that GRRM has said that Brandon died before he had any son's, so the only way that would work, is if Brandon created a son, and it was born after he died.

This is the theory that I came across before, although I have only read the first part, not the other two

There are several other theories on Westeros and several on the Reddit boards that address this idea. It is interesting!

1 hour ago, St Daga said:

Any theory that involves a son of Brandon's has to consider the fact that GRRM has said that Brandon died before he had any son's, so the only way that would work, is if Brandon created a son, and it was born after he died.

I thought I remembered GRRM saying that but couldn't find the quote. If that's the case then Domeric doesn't work because he was born sometime between 279 and 281 and Brandon was killed in 282. 

Just now, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I thought I remembered GRRM saying that but couldn't find the quote. If that's the case then Domeric doesn't work because he was born sometime between 279 and 281 and Brandon was killed in 282. 

Didn't Martin say Brandon never had any legitimate sons?

26 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

He said he died before he could father any legitimate children, so that means no legitimate daughters or sons. But he did allow for the possibility of little Snows running around.

28 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

What St Daga and I were talking about is a quote that I think I remember about no sons at all. But as I can't find said quote, I can't prove it. It remains a mystery. [cue spooky music] ;)

41 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

14 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

He said he died before he could father any legitimate children, so that means no legitimate daughters or sons. But he did allow for the possibility of little Snows running around.

Could it be one of the two I posted on pg1 of this thread? Here.

14 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Could it be one of the two I posted on pg1 of this thread? Here.

Yes! It was the first.

Q: There seem to be Lannisters and Freys under every rock, while the Starks are very scarce. Does Ned not have any distant relatives who could reclaim Winterfell?

A: ~~~It's true that in recent times, the Starks have become quite scarce. There's not many of them in the present generatons. Some may say it's because Ned's siblings died. Brandon died before he had sons, and Lyanna is also dead, and Benjen joined the Night's Watch which means he doesn't have descendants either. It might also have to do with their father, Rickard, who was an only son and I'd have to go back to my notes to see why he was the only child -- and really, I'm speaking from memory, so that may not be quite right. At home I have my notecards, my family trees where I keep this information, because unlike some other people I can't remember everything.~~~ (notice how GRRM does not say Lyanna did not leave behind a child :wideeyed:)

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona/

Thank you @The Fattest Leech!

3 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Yes! It was the first.

Q: There seem to be Lannisters and Freys under every rock, while the Starks are very scarce. Does Ned not have any distant relatives who could reclaim Winterfell?

A: ~~~It's true that in recent times, the Starks have become quite scarce. There's not many of them in the present generatons. Some may say it's because Ned's siblings died. Brandon died before he had sons, and Lyanna is also dead, and Benjen joined the Night's Watch which means he doesn't have descendants either. It might also have to do with their father, Rickard, who was an only son and I'd have to go back to my notes to see why he was the only child -- and really, I'm speaking from memory, so that may not be quite right. At home I have my notecards, my family trees where I keep this information, because unlike some other people I can't remember everything.~~~ (notice how GRRM does not say Lyanna did not leave behind a child :wideeyed:)

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona/

I guess if it doesn't work for Domeric and the time line then it doesn't work (but Domeric is still suspect for not being Roose's son). But the wording of Georges comment is tricky. Did Brandon die before he had a son, implying that he had daughters before he died, or that he died before a son was born. I never imagined any child of Brandon's would have been legitimate. Benjen joined the nights watch which means he doesn't have descendants either, (no sons or daughters), is also tricky wording. Benjen almost implies in the text that he himself has a few bastards. Hmmm!  If George was implying legitimate heirs, than his comment rules Brandon and Benjen out, but not Lyanna, which again hints at her possible marriage. Sly dog, George, sly dog!

Archived