NBA 2017: Playoffs? Playoffs?!

Relic

33 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I see it's one of these games where Mirotic can't buy a 3 but just keeps gunning them up. He's such a frustrating player.

From what I can tell, no Bull except Jimmy Butler should ever take a 3 pointer. 

ETA: Ok, maybe Bobby Portis. 

Chicago loves to win ugly.

Tough to see Thomas showing no emotion the entire game, poor dude. Anyone see Barkley's comments about Isaiah crying in the pre-game warm-ups? I guess he was saying it's a bad look for Isaiah and some other bullshit. I usually stick up for Barkley, but come on dude. 

1 minute ago, Ramsay B. said:

I just saw it and Shaq and Ernie Johnson did some nice damage control. I don't think Barkley knew what the hell he was trying to say. 

Our world.

You can fall down and roll with the ball without travelling in your world? I want to play there.

The phrase 'he makes it look easy' is usually a compliment, but I think Harden takes it so far it kind of works against him, perception wise. It's like he's taking the dog for a walk.

It's testament to Harden and Westbrook this year that they can be 18/4/4 and 15/6/5 at the half and yet both feel kinda disappointing thus far.

Andre Roberson meanwhile cannot be stopped. 

ETA: WTF is up with the Lebron baby head commercial and why do they keep showing it?! 

23 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

You can fall down and roll with the ball without travelling in your world? I want to play there.

I didn't even know what play you were talking about. I was just assuming it went uncalled.

17 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

ETA: WTF is up with the Lebron baby head commercial and why do they keep showing it?! 

So weird.

Beverley lit up.

17 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I didn't even know what play you were talking about. I was just assuming it went uncalled.

So weird.

Beverley lit up.

Lol, gotcha.

Westbrook only a couple assists short of another triple double. Just dominating out there.

Patrick Beverly matching Westbrook in scoring seems like a problem for OKC. Clear and easy TKO for Harden in round 1 of the MVP comparison.

Expect Russ to go atomic in game 2. 

Russ was terrible tonight, and the Thunder got thrashed accordingly. These games should tighten up, as the Thunder aren't going to get murdered on second chance points and points in the paint again, but Rockets will still win the series. Just too much of a talent disparity with the rest of the roster.

17 hours ago, sperry said:

Russ was terrible tonight, and the Thunder got thrashed accordingly. These games should tighten up, as the Thunder aren't going to get murdered on second chance points and points in the paint again, but Rockets will still win the series. Just too much of a talent disparity with the rest of the roster.

People keep saying this, but it's not true. The stats say it's not true, the view on the respective talent levels before this season say it's not true. RW only missed one game this year and played limited minutes in two others and the Thunder were 3-0 in those games. Incredibly small sample size, granted, but it's what we have. There's a narrative at work here. Earlier in the year when Harden was running away with the MVP race statistically and based on team success people had them neck and neck because Westbrook is much more entertaining/less irritating than Harden, and the arbitrary triple double thing. Now that there is a statistical argument to be made for Westbrook people act like that puts it to bed. And I've always believed that if anyone is ever close to Harden they'll win because Harden's style pisses so many more people off than it entertains.

So I think RW will win this going away, and Harden will be in the unique spot of losing one MVP because efficiency metrics + team success > traditional secondary stats + 'carrying' team perception, and then lost another because efficiency metrics + team success < traditional secondary stats + 'carrying' team perception. I think the only way Harden ever wins is if there's no one else with an argument or narrative. But the idea that Harden's surrounding talent just blows Westbrook's away is revisionist. Do people even remember pre-season expectations? After Howard left and none of the names went to Houston and they hired a 'fad' coach retread and many were saying the shine was off Morey's Apple and the Rockets needed to blow it up and rebuild? Pretty much any pre-season ranking you can find had the Thunder well ahead of the Rockets, and yet now they're just too loaded?

Here's Simmons making some sense: https://theringer.com/bill-simmons-2017-nba-mvp-james-harden-russell-westbrook-kawhi-leonard-4f617e8d5df5

Remember when we came out of the 2016 playoffs raving about how much we liked Steven Adams, Enes Kanter, and Andre Roberson? Why didn’t they get any better? Why wasn’t Adams as devastating in OKC as the Capela-Nene-Harrell trio was for Houston? Why wasn’t Oladipo BETTER on a much better team? Why did they dump Ersan Ilyasova after only three games, and why wasn’t it a bigger deal when he thrived in Philly and Atlanta? Why such a wasted rookie year for Domantas Sabonis? Everyone acts like Russ is playing with the Washington Generals — he has two top-three lottery picks and three other lottery picks in their playing rotation. Kanter and Oladipo have near-max deals. Adams has a nine-figure deal coming. Ilyasova scored 15 a night on Philadelphia. Those guys sucked? If a superstar guarantees you 45 wins, then Westbrook dragged them to … 47 wins? What?

It's worth noting that RW this season has ball hogged more than any player in history by a significant degree. He misses 14 shots a game. His usage rate is the highest in history, higher than Kobe or Iverson or, well, anyone else ever. And the base stat that seemingly separates he and Harden...the magical double digit rebounding as opposed to 8.3 or w/e is both attributable to volume and by (weird) design where RW almost never closes out on shooters but instead kicks back to pick up the defensive board. Like DeAndre Jordan has contested more 3-point shots this year than Russell Westbrook, believe it or not.

But people really don't enjoy Harden, so this stuff is ignored and suddenly putting up very similar stats with greater efficiency for a team that wins more games and turning a bunch of career journeymen into an all time offence loses out to 'but triple double' and 'willpower' w/e that is. Here's Simmons again:

Meanwhile, the Rockets were pegged as a fringe playoff team with only one All-Star and even lower expectations than OKC. And we didn’t know what to expect with Harden. After he finished second in the 2015 MVP voting, the Dwightbola virus turned him into a smoke-and-mirrors superstar last season. Why didn’t it seem like he cared? Was he turning into a glorified DH? This year, a rejuvenated Harden grabbed the point guard reins (why doesn’t he get more credit for switching positions, by the way?), made a bunch of role players better and transformed the Rockets into the league’s second-best offense. And not just that — they finished with one of the TEN BEST REGULAR-SEASON OFFENSES OF All TIME. (Here, look.)

Archived