Star Wars Novels/Graphical Novels 2

TheRevanchist

17 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

There's another bit where he talks about how he had to bring back Palpintine because Star Wars has always been about the warring families of Palpatine and Skywalker. Just...no.

LOL, really? What a shithead.

31 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

There's another bit where he talks about how he had to bring back Palpintine because Star Wars has always been about the warring families of Palpatine and Skywalker. Just...no.

To quote Terrio: 

"When Rey was wondering what her place in all this was — and she articulated that in ‘Episode 8’ — but she wondered it in Episode 7, too. J.J. always felt that she should get the worst possible news. In a way, the worst possible news for the Rey of Episode 8 is that she is just a child of junk traders, which is true. That’s not contradicted by what you learn in this film, but that she’s the descendant of someone who represents the opposite of all that the Skywalkers represent."

Adding to that in another interview: 

"I completely understand that you’re ‘nobody’ is a devastating thing [but] to me, the more painful, the more shocking thing was the idea that you’re from the worst possible place.”

14 hours ago, IlyaP said:

So what happened there, with them not, y'know, being keepers of internal consistency?

This was the original plan, but apparently J.J. Abrams made a stipulation of the point that he wanted to write and do anything he wanted without censure, so the Story Group's function changed from keeping things consistent to cleaning up the mess caused by writers unfamiliar with the setting. So rather than the Story Group supplying the name for a Sith planet or suggesting ideas arising from previous material, Abrams would just come up with some asspull and the Story Group had to make it consistent retroactively.

They did the same thing with Lucas, but Lucas at least allowed a bit more give-and-take and did use Story Group material and suggestions. Abrams and the new team really do not give a shit.

It's why they can scream about the new books, comics and video games being canon and counting as much as they want. They do not. At all.

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Reminds me of every time TSR/WotC would throw money at Weiss and Hickman to retcon Dragonlance then future tie ins would fuck them all up again.

We’re gonna have just one God!!!  And giant dragon overlords!!! But wait... the one God wasn’t really one God after all!! And those giant dragons?!!?  They’re space aliens!!!

13 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Wait, what?

Well... certainly a thread drift, IIRC the last that I remember it was revealed in the Lost Souls trilogy that the One God was really Takhisis and the dragon overlords with the exception of Skye the blue one (dear sweet baby Paladine... do I really remember the dragon’s name?!!? :stunned: ) were not from Krynn but somehow came from another dimension or some such and that’s why they were so big.

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Well... certainly a thread drift, IIRC the last that I remember it was revealed in the Lost Souls trilogy that the One God was really Takhisis and the dragon overlords with the exception of Skye the blue one (dear sweet baby Paladine... do I really remember the dragon’s name?!!? :stunned: ) were not from Krynn but somehow came from another dimension or some such and that’s why they were so big.

Well, it's germane given discussion on media tie-ins and the like. Even though it's not SW. 

But...really? WOW. 

I'm currently rereading The Chronicles trilogy (intending to read the Legends trilogy after that) and then The Second Generation after that. 

Is that when this, uh, happens?

1 minute ago, IlyaP said:

Well, it's germane given discussion on media tie-ins and the like. Even though it's not SW. 

But...really? WOW. 

I'm currently rereading The Chronicles trilogy (intending to read the Legends trilogy after that) and then The Second Generation after that. 

Is that when this, uh, happens?

Nah.  Those are still the books worth reading.  

After the Second Generation collection of short stories, there was a fourth chronicles book called Dragons of Summer Flame that sort of cleared the deck for the first real reboot of the series.  Weis and Hickman left after that for a time and there was a trilogy that introduced the dragon overlords.  I don’t remember it being terrible at the time... but I was a LOT younger then.  They did several tie in books set in that era, then brought back W&H to do the Lost Souls trilogy and that was the next big reboot.

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

They did several tie in books set in that era, then brought back W&H to do the Lost Souls trilogy and that was the next big reboot.

This seems to sort of be in line with what @Werthead wrote once about the storytelling limitations of Krynn - that post-War of the Lance stuff is a tricky beast and that the setting felt really suited only to cover that one particular conflict. (Adam - have I paraphrased that properly?)

The Dragonlance situation got so weird that around 2008 WotC asked Jim Butcher to basically write a new version of the Chronicles trilogy, possibly as a longer series, which would reboot the setting. Butcher was under the impression that it was more of a "What If?" alternate world story and once he found out his new series was supposed to replace Weis & Hickman's trilogy and they were not cool with it, he noped right out of there.

What was odder was that this was supposed to launch a complete revamp of Dragonlance for WotC, including a new D&D campaign setting for 4th Edition (for which they had to buy out Margaret Weis's company of the licence they'd paid for) and other things. The animated film was also part of that drive. Because Butcher torpedoed their plans, WotC just sat on Dragonlance and haven't done anything with it since. No new novels, no new game materials, nada. Constant rumours that they're going to do something for 5th Edition but nothing solid.

Archived