Lyanna's death cause publicly

On 10/3/2017 at 5:29 PM, Davos the Dragonslayer said:

Ironically, it was Robert who raped his wife.

Who did Robert rape?

BTW: English law: "husband cannot be guilty of a rape committed by himself upon his lawful wife, for by their mutual matrimonial consent and contract the wife hath given up herself in this kind to her husband which she cannot retract". 

Up until 1984, this applied to the USA until "a marriage license should not be viewed as a license for a husband to forcibly rape his wife with impunity. A married woman has the same right to control her own body as does an unmarried woman".

Also, men sleeping around while women were chaste is how the world was up until this century. Ask your grandmother if she was a virgin on her wedding day and then ask your grandfather, you will get VERY different answers. Plus, having a mistress and even sleeping around as a lord or king would make you MORE popular in nearly every culture of Europe and was widely accepted as normal. This even applied to the pope!!! 

On 10/2/2017 at 11:18 AM, Davos the Dragonslayer said:

What is Lyanna's death cause publicly in Westeros?

If I had to make a guess, I would say it is probably "fever of unknown origin".  Simple, straightforward, more of less true, and entirely uninformative.  And probably all too commonplace, for that matter.

On 02/10/2017 at 6:18 PM, Davos the Dragonslayer said:

As others have indicated, the official story seems to be that she died from injuries sustained from Rhaegar repeatedly abusing and raping her. Given that Robert controls the narrative, it has to be one of the versions out there. It is possible Ned provided an official account but we've never heard it. Perhaps a fever or illness due to her imprisonment?

On 10/2/2017 at 0:18 PM, Davos the Dragonslayer said:

I think Ned said she was dying when he reached her. And since no maester examined her after her death, Robert must've assumed it was abuse and neglect.

I'm pretty sure Ned would simply have told Robert; and everyone else; that she died from a bad fever and never expanded on that in any way. Robert's mind takes him to the conclusion that she caught the fever as a result of hundreds of rapes and other types of abuse. Other's; like Barristan, who probably has doubts about the abduction story; might assume it was something to do with the climate.

Archived