What Are Your Favorite Fantasy Films ?

GAROVORKIN

Star Wars has often been argued here as being fantasy, yet none of you mentioned it. Fine, not including SW, or any other SF/fantasy combination, here’s my list.

1. The Fellowship of the Ring
  2. The Two Towers & The Return of the King
  3. Conan the Barbarian (1982)
  4. The Princess Bride
  5. Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban (the one that got me interested in the series, books included)
  6. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
  7. Groundhog Day
  8. Dragonheart
  9. Big Trouble in Little China
  10. Highlander

Pan’s Laybirinth is an excellent film, but deeply depressing, so I’ve never cared to re-visit.

Also, I don’t know if I should include Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Martial artists flying through trees and having superhuman reflexes is more a style characteristic of wuxia films, they’re not really a part of traditional fantasy themes and elements.

Edit: Added Groundhog Day on the list

Dragonslayer   A very dark fantasy film about a kingdom  in thrall to a malevolent Dragon. .Peter MacNichol Caitlin Clark , Sir Ralph Richardson.  The film came out in 1982 and one of its strong points  was the Dragon which still looks great even by todays special effects standards.  This film is both underrated and under appreciated.  Its a great fantasy film.B)

1 hour ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Dragonslayer   A very dark fantasy film about a kingdom  in thrall to a malevolent Dragon. .Peter MacNichol Caitlin Clark , Sir Ralph Richardson.  The film came out in 1982 and one of its strong points  was the Dragon which still looks great even by todays special effects standards.  This film is both underrated and under appreciated.  Its a great fantasy film.B)

Dragonslayer is definitely on my list of top fantasy movies and Vermithrax Pejorative is one of the best dragons in movies. 

Others on my list:

The Princess Bride

Willow

Conan the Barbarian

Shrek

The 13th Warrior

Highlander

Ladyhawke

Stardust

12 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Dragonslayer was a surprising film, more 'adult' than most of the 'dragon' films that followed. 

Some clever VFX work that was before CGI dragons. 

Some twists too , liked that.

29 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

I have a real dislike for all Bakshi stuff, I find it all so ugly. I will admit that his Lord of the Rings is decent but freaked me out as a child due to the way the orcs looked. 

I liked Fritz the Cat and Heavy Traffic , I thought as long as he stuck with 'comix' he was ok, even tho Vaughn Bodē was sort of comix, Wizards does not work for me. Then came the absolute disaster of the LToR - like movie. Bakshi just got in over his head and it all went to hell. Fire and Ice looked like a movie someone had given up on.

1 minute ago, Martini Sigil said:

Would a movie like 47 Ronin apply here?... not that it would make my list... but is that considered fantasy?... in which case, Last Knights --although not very good, is the same movie, in a different setting-- would also apply ... 

It is fantasy. As to why you would name it among your favorite fantasy films... :dunno:

Just now, Martini Sigil said:

Would a movie like 47 Ronin apply here?... not that it would make my list... but is that considered fantasy?... in which case, Last Knights --although not very good, is the same movie, in a different setting-- would also apply ... 

If I go off the Wiki definition:

:Fantasy films are films that belong to the fantasy genre with fantastic themes, usually magic, supernatural events, mythology, folklore, or exotic fantasy worlds. The genre is considered a form of speculative fiction alongside science fiction films and horror films, although the genres do overlap. Fantasy films often have an element of magic, myth, wonder, escapism, and the extraordinary"

Then yeah that probably fits. 

Actually looking at the wiki page it lists a number of fantasy movies that I wouldn't tend to put in there, like Toy Story or Groundhog Day. But it does show the lack of decent options in the 90s compared to the 80's. I think LOTR really sparked a revival in the 2000's, but still they always seemed to be mostly cheap knock-offs of what made LOTR so great. Just look at the Narnia movies which are as flat and uninteresting as you can imagine and are almost entirely forgotten.

44 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

:Fantasy films are films that belong to the fantasy genre with fantastic themes, usually magic, supernatural events, mythology, folklore, or exotic fantasy worlds. The genre is considered a form of speculative fiction alongside science fiction films and horror films, although the genres do overlap. Fantasy films often have an element of magic, myth, wonder, escapism, and the extraordinary"

Actually looking at the wiki page it lists a number of fantasy movies that I wouldn't tend to put in there, like Toy Story or Groundhog Day. But it does show the lack of decent options in the 90s compared to the 80's. I think LOTR really sparked a revival in the 2000's, but still they always seemed to be mostly cheap knock-offs of what made LOTR so great. Just look at the Narnia movies which are as flat and uninteresting as you can imagine and are almost entirely forgotten.

I agree that Groundhog Day is a fantasy film. No scientific explanation is ever given as to why the day keeps repeating, and the solution of stopping the phenomenon deals with matters of the soul.

And virtually every animated movie is fantasy, with a small number of SF among them (Wall-E).

As I compiling my top 10, I did have Prince Caspian on the list, but it kept being pushed further and further back. I would probably put in a top 20.

58 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

Lord of the Rings is sort of unusual , it is sort of like epic fantasy , I think of Der Ring des Nibelungen , told in a 20th century prose voice (in a way ASoIaF is also that but even more of a contemporary prose style). I don't keep track of the prose form , since  High Sword and Sorcery not interesting to me outside of Tolkien and Martian... and I know there is some good stuff. I have not kept up with movies that are Sword and Sorcery , I don't think any have been successful? I know the last Conan cratered. 

There is one novel I would love to see , The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson, a very adult Nordic Mythology story, most unusual novel.

I would love to see Fritz Leiber's .Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories done but methinks those are too sophisticated. Sort of brainy version of Robert E Howard. 

4 hours ago, Eggegg said:

I have a real dislike for all Bakshi stuff, I find it all so ugly. I will admit that his Lord of the Rings is decent but freaked me out as a child due to the way the orcs looked. 

Yeah, Bakshi art is...interesting. That said, Orcs should freak you out. They're fucking orcs.

10 hours ago, boojam said:

Dragonslayer was a surprising film, more 'adult' than most of the 'dragon' films that followed. 

Some clever VFX work that was before CGI dragons. 

Some twists too , liked that.

It's an unforgettable film . It's also one of Sir Ralph Richardson's last films.

Archived