Cricket 33: ODIs Still Aren’t Proper Cricket Edition

Paxter

Woah that was epic from Latham. New Zealand is just on a gravy train right now in test cricket.

India have been set a fairly imposing 287 to win on a difficult wicket. I think they could’ve been competitive if it was about 220, but this score is a bridge too far. Someone other than Kohli will have to stand up to give India a chance. 

Side-note: This could be Vijay’s last innings in test cricket coming up. Shaw will likely be fit for Boxing Day.

Lyon nabs Kohli and that's all she wrote. A good comeback from Australia after the Adelaide loss.

Shaw is now ruled out of the series, so India will have a few selection headaches for the MCG. I assume Ashwin comes straight back into the side in place of Umesh, but the question is whether they can persist with these openers after failing in the first two tests. 

5 wickets to take for the Aussies today to level the series, good to see a bit of something in the pitch throughout the match. 

Big questions over Indias batting apart from Kohli and Pujara they dont seem to have much going for them. The Aus batting lineup has been saved by the tailenders in this series so far. Will be interesting to see if Handscome gets dropped and if Finch will be fit or dropped for boxing day considering its a home test for those 2 as well.

56 minutes ago, lmanion said:

5 wickets to take for the Aussies today to level the series, good to see a bit of something in the pitch throughout the match. 

Big questions over Indias batting apart from Kohli and Pujara they dont seem to have much going for them. The Aus batting lineup has been saved by the tailenders in this series so far. Will be interesting to see if Handscome gets dropped and if Finch will be fit or dropped for boxing day considering its a home test for those 2 as well.

+1 for Burns and Renshaw to play on Boxing Day! The roughie would be Matthew Wade playing as a genuine batsman on his home wicket. 

And yes, it was a memorable debut for the new Perth venue. This pitch has given me hope that moving from the WACA won't completely destroy Perth's longstanding reputation for providing truly unique conditions for fast bowlers. 

I think only one of burns, renshaw and wade gets called up if any of them do. Also Wade played a bit for Victoria but started out with Tasmania and has moved back there. Pretty sure he grew up in Hobart, was the guy everyone talked about at underage level. Played against him in an u19 north vs south game.

I think the injury to Maddinson saved one of either Finch or Handscome because he had been making a lot of runs prior to suffering I think a broken arm right down near the wrist.

On 12/16/2018 at 5:12 PM, The Marquis de Leech said:

It's our first away win against Pakistan since 1969. Not our first away win generally.

A complete list of New Zealand overseas series victories:

1. Pakistan (1969-1970) 
  2. Sri Lanka (1983-1984)
  3. Australia (1985-1986)
  4. England (1986)
  5. Zimbabwe (1992-1993)
  6. England (1999)
  7. Zimbabwe (2000-2001)
  8. West Indies (2002)
  9. Bangladesh (2004-2005)
  10. Zimbabwe (2005)
  11. Bangladesh (2008-2009)
  12. West Indies (2014)
  13. Zimbabwe (2016)
  14. Pakistan (2018-2019)

We have never won an away test series against India or South Africa (in fact, we have never won a series against South Africa, full stop).

Thanks, I thought it sounded weird when I first (mis)heard it on the news. Because I was thinking about that '85-'86 series in Aussie where Hadlee had a 9-for in the first innings of the first(?) test. But I thought, "oh, maybe we didn't win that series after all". But I was too lazy to look up the stats, so I just parroted what I thought I heard on the news.

It's not a fantastic list of away wins on since this century hit. Sure we beat the Windies twice, but the Windies are not the cricketing force they were in the 80s. The 80s is still our golden era for test cricket. But maybe this win vs Pakistan might signal the start of a new golden era.

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Thanks, I thought it sounded weird when I first (mis)heard it on the news. Because I was thinking about that '85-'86 series in Aussie where Hadlee had a 9-for in the first innings of the first(?) test. But I thought, "oh, maybe we didn't win that series after all". But I was too lazy to look up the stats, so I just parroted what I thought I heard on the news.

It's not a fantastic list of away wins on since this century hit. Sure we beat the Windies twice, but the Windies are not the cricketing force they were in the 80s. The 80s is still our golden era for test cricket. But maybe this win vs Pakistan might signal the start of a new golden era.

NZ did achieve hard-earned test series draws in Australia in 2001-02 (against that Australian cricket team) and in 2011 when they snatched victory in a tight contest in Hobart. But yes, it would be great if they could step up and be more competitive away from NZ's seaming tracks. 

The Big Bash has started. I'm pretty 'meh' about it this season. Fewer marquee players and a bloated schedule. 

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'll always have a soft spot for that 1999 win in England. It was the first away win I have conscious memory of, featured our first win at Lords, and remains the only test series New Zealand has ever come from behind to win.

14 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

I'll always have a soft spot for that 1999 win in England. It was the first away win I have conscious memory of, featured our first win at Lords, and remains the only test series New Zealand has ever come from behind to win.

The win vs Aussie with Hadlee's 9-for was my greatest memory, especially because I wached every ball bowled of that innings where Hadlee got his 9-for, including the bitter-sweet moment of Hadlee taking the catch that would deny him an historic 10-wicket innings haul. Until it was temporarily ruined by my mis-hearing of the report regarding our past away wins and made me doubt my memory.

Hadlee also pretty much single-handedly ended Andrew Hilditch's international career in that test by tempting him into his favourite hook shot in both innings to get him out caught at fine leg for a duck and then a sub-20 score. He was the master of the hook shot, but it ultimately proved his undoing.

I wish I had seen that Hadlee-led NZ team in action. The post-2000 test era is quite depressing really: overly dominated by batsmen, boring pitches at many historic venues and the slow demise of West Indies as a test match force. That last point being the single worst thing about test match cricket in the modern period.

3 hours ago, Paxter said:

I wish I had seen that Hadlee-led NZ team in action. 

I'll always remember an interview with one English player, who said afterwards that batting against New Zealand in the 1980s was like facing the World XI at one end, and the Ilford 2nd XI at the other. Which was a bit harsh on Ewen Chatfield, but gets the basic idea across: Hadlee was a freak, and the rest of the side was better than the sum of its parts. 

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/i-just-wanted-to-fit-in-cameron-bancroft/cff6e76d-ae88-4b2e-99fe-80a0a8845c38

So theres this from Bancroft today and also somehow mitch freakin marsh has been recalled to the team and was apparently heavily booed. India are 2-123 at tea on day 1. Im just honestly in disbelief that we could select Mitch Marsh, there are at least 4 better batting allrounders than him in the country right now, he averages in the 40s with the ball and in the mid 20s with the bat. He has barely taken a wicket or made a run in the last 2 shield games. So much for picking players for the test team on form.

To be fair to Marsh, he has two test centuries and a 96 in the last year or so. There’s more to test selection than Shield form - otherwise Head and Finch wouldn’t be in the side either.

Overall this looks like another poor test wicket to me. Things much more exciting over in Christchurch! 

Just reading that the match referee in perth gave the pitch an average rating, hes the same guy that gave the mcg a poor rating last year. Now the pitch at the mcg is pretty bad, but the pitch in perth was far from average, it produced a good battle between bat and ball and a result in the second session of the final day.

Mitch Marsh is only there because of his last name, 51 innings averaging 26 with the bat might be alright if he also averaged 26 with the ball but he averages 42. His first class averages arent even that of someone who should be getting a look into the test team as a number 6 batsmen, 159 innings averaging 32 with the bat and 125 innings averaging 32 with the ball. If hes the best choice for a number 6 in Australia atm its a poor reflection of our batting stocks let alone our allrounders.

Wade could have come in hes refocused himself as a batsmen averaging 63 this year. Larkin, Cooper, Lehman, Hughes, Burns, Patterson, all guys that are averaging mid 40s or better this season. Pucovski from Victoria is only 20 already averages 49 with a high score of 243 at first class level. Unfortunately selecting Marsh just indicates that the whole rhetoric coming from cricket australia that this is a big change and the start of a new era is complete bs.

Might be an early call with only one day's play behind us, but this looks like another MCG drawing pitch. Only 2 wickets to fall on the first day was good discipline by India but Australia should be able to navigate a healthy first innings total as well. It will depend on how much deterioration there is, I guess.

Archived