Cord Cutting Advice - Not the newborn type

Rhom

Most services offer HBO as an add-on subscription and some run deals.

For example, I'm getting HBO for $5 for 6 months through Hulu. So when you decide to sign up, check Amazon, Hulu, HBO Now, Sling (?), etc and see who is running the best deal.

• 3 weeks later...

I have decided that the most annoying part of cutting the cord is the fact that I no longer have a convenient digital clock sitting just below my TV.  :lol: 

21 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I had never had that, always had to click on info to see the time.

Our cable box had a little digital clock on it.  Obviously a simple fix... buy a clock.

But last night I fell asleep in my recliner as I sometimes do. Usually I can prop an eye open and just see how late it is; but last night it would require reaching over and grabbing my phone or a remote.  I wound up laying there until 4:30.  :lol:

On 8/17/2018 at 3:02 PM, Rhom said:

I have decided that the most annoying part of cutting the cord is the fact that I no longer have a convenient digital clock sitting just below my TV.  :lol: 

Funny you should say that. I bought a cheap little digital clock after cutting cable and put it in the same spot. :lol:

OK, college football is returning soon, and I'm trying to decide what to do. I've been ok this past month without a cable and no live channels, but now I need to do something.

I'm gravitating towards Hulu live, mainly because they do have all the main channels I would watch + I would get regular hulu, too, I think. My questions to anyone who has it are how easy is it to navigate it? Is there a TV guide? And in general, how satisfied are with it?

These questions also apply to anyone who has been using Sling TV.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

OK, college football is returning soon, and I'm trying to decide what to do. I've been ok this past month without a cable and no live channels, but now I need to do something.

I'm gravitating towards Hulu live, mainly because they do have all the main channels I would watch + I would get regular hulu, too, I think. My questions to anyone who has it are how easy is it to navigate it? Is there a TV guide? And in general, how satisfied are with it?

These questions also apply to anyone who has been using Sling TV.

Have not done the Hulu Live, but I would assume it functions similarly to the DTV Now that I've been using.  There is a guide.  The channels are arranged alphabetically and there are no "channel numbers" so it does take a bit to scroll up and down the guide.  You can look at categories though like "Kids" and "Sports" etc.  

I would assume that it is pretty much standard across all the services.  :dunno: 

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Have not done the Hulu Live, but I would assume it functions similarly to the DTV Now that I've been using.  There is a guide.  The channels are arranged alphabetically and there are no "channel numbers" so it does take a bit to scroll up and down the guide.  You can look at categories though like "Kids" and "Sports" etc.  

I would assume that it is pretty much standard across all the services.  :dunno: 

Thanks. Do you also have some sort of cloud DVR?

20 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Thanks. Do you also have some sort of cloud DVR?

I do.  We used it for the first time a week or two ago.  Seems to be pretty handy.  I've got the app on my phone, so the good news is that if I realize that I forgot to set a recording; I can just do it from anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

So Sunday night I signed up for hulu live. The deciding factor over Sling TV is that is has the Big10 Network.

It's okay for the most part, but I didn't see anywhere where there is a guide. When I navigate the channels, on my Amazon FireTV, all I get is what is up next, and not a full guide. It also tends to interfere with the livestream when I do that, which is a bit irritating. Still, it pretty much has all the channels I would need, and even a few extra sports channels I didn't expect, but on which I'll end up probably watching college football. As I understand it, hulu live is still in beta.

Haven't tried the dvr yet.

• 1 month later...

Follow up to the above.

I'm thinking once college football is over, I'll quit hulu live, but may keep the regular hulu. The user interface is friendly on the PC, and there is a guide, but not so much with the Amazon FireTV. The navigation is quite terrible on that. Also, there is this.

In a new "skinnier" package, Hulu could offer less live channels but more shows on-demand. Hulu CEO Randy Freer toldThe Information that reshuffling the programming mix could help improve the company's bottom line.

I may even quit earlier. With Nebraska having a godawful season, in GRRM's words, "life is meaningless and full of pain.":P

I'm also disappointed that even on the DVR, you can't fast-forward through commercials, which is ridiculous. 

Does anyone use Directv go? I have been considering switching to this from regular Directv with a dish and would like to hear some peoples experiences. Package selection, user interface, how fast of internet do you need etc..

I’m using DirectTV Now.

Its a pretty smooth interface.  Channel guide is in alphabetical order.  I’ve got good net, so I don’t know what would be a baseline for it.  I think a page or so back I wrote a detailed analysis on my payment options and channel package.  Basically, my rule was that I didn’t want to ever miss a Kentucky game.

Archived