Who will command Dany's fleet?

rotting sea cow

9 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

They both should have entered in contact already and certainly will show up again in the story.

Well, "they" in this instance refers to what I typed as exhibited below.

22 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

- Aurane Waters:  He has absconded with the the newly built ships commissioned by Cersei. Rumor has it he has turned pirate.

- Salladhor Saan:  No.

I don't know if Saan & Waters met up at Stepstones,  Just like I don't know why Davos thinks Edric Storm is at Stepstones. Just like I don't know if the Volantenes abandoned parts of the GC on the Stepstones.

Saan is upset because he lost ships in the unruly weather since leaving EW and he has not been paid by Stannis. Waters on the other hand is a different ball of wax.

A Dance with Dragons - Davos I     A king's command and a friend's betrayal, Davos might have said. Instead he answered, "Storms."   Nine-and-twenty ships had set sail from the Wall. If half of them were still afloat, Davos would be shocked. Black skies, bitter winds, and lashing rains had hounded them all the way down the coast. The galleys Oledo and Old Mother's Son had been driven onto the rocks of Skagos, the isle of unicorns and cannibals where even the Blind Bastard had feared to land; the great cog Saathos Saan had foundered off the Grey Cliffs. "Stannis will be paying for them," Salladhor Saan had fumed. "He will be paying for them with good gold, every one."<snip> Ten leagues north of Widow's Watch the seas rose again, slamming the Harvest into one of the galleys towing her and sinking both. The rest of the Lysene fleet had been scattered across the narrow sea. Some would straggle into one port or another. Others would never be seen again. 

What the ^ above tells me is that the seas are teeming with hurricanes/typhoons. Saan has lost some of his ships and is right disturbed. 29 ships left EW and only half remain afloat. Where does Saan's attention lie?  Saan sums it up by saying:   "Can Salladhor Saan eat the king's word? Can he quench his thirst with parchments and waxy seals? Can he tumble promises into a feather bed and fuck them till they squeal?"    Nope, dunna think Saan is a candidate to lead Dany's flotilla. Saan is merely disgruntled with Stannis.

On 9/4/2018 at 11:08 AM, Sea Dragon said:

I think it will be this option. Danaerys is a Sea Dragon :D. And she instinctually knows the ways of war because she is smart.

She can set the mission and it's up to the sailors to sail the ships to Westeros.  My thinking is this.  Most of the trip will take place on land.  The fleet is only needed to cross the Narrow Sea.  I'm guessing the port of departure will be Braavos.  

59 minutes ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

She can set the mission and it's up to the sailors to sail the ships to Westeros.  My thinking is this.  Most of the trip will take place on land.  The fleet is only needed to cross the Narrow Sea.  I'm guessing the port of departure will be Braavos.  

Why bravos? Seems really isolated and difficult to get to for a massive land army.

12 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

If you don't mind to much I will flap my trap about Vic and Euron later.

I have enjoyed reading the thread. Kudos.

I have a difficult time imagining Theon & Asha becoming involved with Euron or Vic. Mainly because they are Stannis' prisoners/hostages in the north. I'm thinking Asha or Theon have to tell the story of what is happening in the north until Jon or Davos show up.

Asha & Theon have no access to ships whether they escape, or are let loose. One of the Mormont women did a raid near Deepwood and burned some of Asha's ships. Granted I do not remember how many ships Asha commanded. Stannis sent LC Snow word about the situation.

In bold I marked a very important point. Yes, there is the need for narrators where important action happens (which is partially the point of introducing new PoVs, e.g. Mel), so Theon and Asha will tell us what is going on with Stannis and Winterfell after the Battle of Ice.

As per timeline, Davos could be possibly be back with Rickon and a Skagosi army mounted in Unicorns (we are going to see that one day). There has been enough time since we saw him last in White Harbor. But I guess (and many more have done so) that his mission will take longer and get derailed by some other events.

It is still a big mystery what will happen with Jon after his resurrection. But people have also guessed that his resurrection won't happen immediately.

So, if Asha and Theon escape, we are left without Pov in the North, except Melisandre.

I've been however entertaining the idea that Theon and the ironborn will help to retake Winterfell for Stannis (with the help of Bran) and get pardoned by Stannis. Then (or even before) team up with Dagmer Cleftjaw and the remaining ironborn in Torrhen's Square and sail in the search of the Dragon Queen. I tell you, there will be enough time as Dany will be busy with the Dothraki.

The main problem is that is unclear that Dagmer still have his ships and anyway sailing the Western Seas will be very perilous for them as Euron control them. This leaves White Harbor and they would need some of the Manderly ships. 

My main argument is structural. Theon and Asha are Euron's foes in the home front, and they are set to repair the damage that Euron is causing. But I admit, the whole thing is logistically difficult to pull out.

This is 2018. DwD was released in 2011. Preview chapters have been read at conventions, shown of martin's site, released and placed on the App (which I do not subscribe).

Considering the age of the preview chapters I will say, if a person don't want to know stuff back out now. Keep in mind that the preview chapters were removed from prior books, meaning moving stuff from DWD.

While Dany is on her hiatus stuff is happening in Meeren. I'm using the reveal tab. Enter at your discretion. I have not modified the quotes. What you see is what I copied from asearchoficeandfire.com

Spoiler

The Winds of Winter - Tyrion I
Somewhere off in the far distance, a dying man was screaming for his mother. "To horse!" a man was yelling in Ghiscari, in the next camp to the north of the Second Sons. "To horse! <i>To horse!</i>" High and shrill, his voice carried a long way in the morning air, far beyond his own encampment. Tyrion knew just enough Ghiscari to understand the words, but the fear in his voice would have been plain in any tongue. <i>I know how he feels</i>.

It was time to find his own horse, he knew. Time to don some dead boy's armor, buckle on a sword and dagger, slip his dinted greathelm down over his head. Dawn had broken, and a sliver of the rising sun was visible behind the city's walls and towers, blindingly bright. To the west the stars were fading, one by one. Trumpets were blowing along the Skahazadhan, warhorns answering from the walls of Meereen. A ship was sinking in the river mouth, afire. Dead men and dragons were moving through the sky, whilst warships crashed and clashed on Slaver's Bay. Tyrion could not see them from here, but he could hear the sounds: the crash of hull against hull as ships slammed together, the deep-throated warhorns of the ironborn and queer high whistles of Qarth, the splintering of oars, the shouts and battle cries, the crash of axe on armor, sword on shield, all mingled with the shrieks of wounded men. Many of the ships were still far out in the bay, so the sounds they made seemed faint and far away, but he knew them all the same. <i>The music of slaughter</i>.

Three hundred yards from where he stood rose the Wicked Sister, her long arm swinging up with a clutch of corpses—<i>chunk-THUMP</i>—and there they flew, naked and swollen, pale dead birds tumbling boneless through the air. The siege camps shimmered in a gaudy haze of rose and gold, but the famous stepped pyramids of Meereen hulked black against the glare. Something was moving atop one of them, he saw. <i>A dragon, but which one?</i> At this distance, it could as easily have been an eagle. <i>A very big eagle</i>.

"You're scaring me.

"Am I? Good. You should be scared. We have ironborn swarming ashore and Ser Barristan and his Unsullied pouring out the city gates, with us between them, fighting on the wrong bloody side. I am terrified myself."
"You say that, but you still make japes."

He was still standing there, staring as the dragon snatched corpses from the air, when the messenger came pounding up. <i>A bloody officer,</i> Tyrion saw at once. He was clad in golden armor and mounted on a golden horse. Loudly he announced that he had come from the supreme commander of the Yunkai'i, the noble and puissant Gorzhak zo Eraz. "Lord Gorzhak sends his compliments to Captain Plumm and requests that he bring his company to the bay shore. Our ships are under attack."
<i>Your ships are sinking, burning, fleeing,</i> thought Tyrion. <i>Your ships are being taken, your men put to the sword.</i> He was a Lannister of Casterly Rock, close by the Iron Islands; ironborn reavers were no strangers to their shores. Over the centuries they had burned Lannisport at least thrice and raided it two dozen times. Westermen knew what savagery the ironborn were capable of; these slavers were just learning.
"Captain's not here just now," Inkpots told the messenger. "He's gone to see the Girl General."

Anyway, open discussion about this can not happen in the general forum, but those who ventured in can see the dilemma.

Archived