Sign in to follow this  
lokisnow

U.S. Politics: Impoverished In Squalor

52 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

A big question right now is why did Mueller punt on obstruction?  It's a very unusual move, and it's not clear why Mueller would have thought that Barr would be in a better position to make this decision, especially since Barr's view on the obstruction case was already well known by the public.  .

Yeah, not only that, but one might think that Mueller ought to have thought that Barr was uniquely unqualified to make this call given that he auditioned for the job on the grounds of limiting the investigation, etc...

37 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Plus, if you take into account how huge the US is, a European traveling within Europe doesn't actually travel more than an American traveling within the US, even if they cross more borders... Also, if we want to have a laugh, I'm sure one could point out that an urban New Yorker traveling to rural Idaho is probably opening their mind to a different culture anyway. ^^

Yeah, I don't want to whole-heartedly agree with this because it sounds like a douchy American, but how much does any country's people travel beyond they're own continent?  Be happy to be proven wrong here, but I suspect it's low.  Beyond, like, touring the Mediterranean.  I've traveled a lot within the US.  I think it gives you a pretty good idea of the western world.  The rest of the world?  Of course not.  But that either costs more money than I'm willing (or can even) to pay*, just means I'm entitled, or I would have to sign up for service I'm not willing to do.  So, no, I'm not that great of a person in terms of the latter.

*And yeah, I know you can find cheap ways to go places.  Thing is, if I'm paying to go on vacation, which I don't really do anymore anyway, I want it to be good.  Like, a vacation.  Which means it will be expensive. 

55 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

A big question right now is why did Mueller punt on obstruction? 

No, that's not a big question at all.  He was always going to punt on charging the president.  I have been saying this on these threads for over a year.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

While I'd agree that you can get some really good deals when flying to Europe or what not, keep in mind that something like over 50% of Americans don't have enough in their savings to cover an unexpected $500 bill.

Also, on top of that, I'd never travel overseas or somewhere too far from home, unless I had access to at least a couple thousand bucks extra, whether in savings or credit. Who knows what could happen.

Perhaps that is one reason lots of Americans don't travel much.

I doubt it.  Many Las Vegas visitors budget losing that much into their Las Vegas trip.

Still most USians who go to another country go on a cruise ship or go to a resort.  Just not the same.  Within the US they go to Disney World and Branson.  Most Usians really hate leaving their comfort zone.

The people I see everywhere that aren't resorts, far more than USians, are young Asians, particularly young Asian women: Japanese, Chinese and Korean.  They TRAVEL.

Edited by Zorral

3 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

But why was it Barr's decision to make? It should have been the House that made that determination.

Because legally that's how the special prosecutor works. They are not independent like Starr was; they work at the behest of the Attorney General. Quite literally that is the only thing that could possibly happen - it is either Barr's decision, or it's Mueller's.