Do you think HBO will consider some TV movies along with the shows?

Mwm

31 minutes ago, Mwm said:

Perhaps a trilogy with the first focusing on Aegon the unworthy, then the first Blackfyre rebellion. Following with Dunk and Egg?

I would love that. Aegons conquest sounds awesome. I would personally preffer Dance of the Dragons. But Dunk and Egg is just stupid (as a story) and would never work and flopp since it is more of a buddycop comedy within a fantasyworld. No studio would risk that.

1 hour ago, T and A said:

I would love that. Aegons conquest sounds awesome. I would personally preffer Dance of the Dragons. But Dunk and Egg is just stupid (as a story) and would never work and flopp since it is more of a buddycop comedy within a fantasyworld. No studio would risk that.

I was assuming HBO would air them on network. I couldn’t see those stories not working, as a side movie project mind you, unless Martin never finishes their stories.

No.  AT&T wants vast amount of content right now, to make HBO what it has never been, which is Netflix, which has and continues to spend billions making (generally -- a few exceptions) at best mediocre tv, like tv used to be. They aren't going to be spending vast amounts of money on what will take years to showrun, fund, write, cast and then produce.

21 hours ago, Zorral said:

No.  AT&T wants vast amount of content right now, to make HBO what it has never been, which is Netflix, which has and continues to spend billions making (generally -- a few exceptions) at best mediocre tv, like tv used to be. They aren't going to be spending vast amounts of money on what will take years to showrun, fund, write, cast and then produce.

The speech from the new chief of HBO regarding the Long Night sounded different though. He expicitly said, that they are only doing the prequel if it matches the quality of HBO. He could be lying, mind you. But I am not sure, that HBO will work like, say Netflix. Netflix is an On-Demand Streaming network. They have thousands of content to offer. Some are crap, some are excellent. The point is, you can choose. HBO on the other hand is a TV station. If they produce mainly crap, the numbers of viewers will shrink, and they will loose money, since you can not choose content here. So I highly doubt that they will flush us with only bad content. 

On the other hand: who is to say that the sequels/prequels to GoT will be higly viewed? I strongely assume, that after GoT has ended, the vast majority of the viewers will move forward to other shows, and they won't care (at least not as much as for GoT) for these succesor shows. GRRM recent show on Netflix, Nightflyers, was complete crap (just look up the critical response for this show), and was shut down after just one season (rightly so). 

I am still curious if the Long Night will air more than a season to be honest. The cast sounds fantastic for now, but I am curious to see, if it will have a lot of viewers.

I doubt it, I doubt very much the prequel will be anything close to the kind of hit that GOT has been.  The choice of the 'long night' itself was a little strange, it's too far in the past to have Targaryens, it will have to be even more rustic than GOT, and doesn't have many throughlines to the major families.  I would predict it will have a large audience for the first couple of episodes but seems very unlikely to be a huge hit.

As far as ATT, it looks like they don't understand the HBO business model at all, and so seems like they are going to merrily go about destroying the top brand in cable TV in some insane desire for Netflix content whatever that is supposed to mean.  So typical of corporate mergers to end badly for both parties, which I also predict.

Archived