What were some popular theories between the release of aSoS-aFfC and aFfC-aDwD?

Shpati

Of course I've read countless theories of what's to come in tWoW. There's some with such clear evidence that I think there is a 90% chance of it being true.

I arrived to the ASOIAF series and this forum quite late. So I don't know how it was between the release of aSoS-aFfC and aFfC-aDwD.

Anyway, between the release of aSoS-aFfC and aFfC-aDwD, what were some really popular theories?

What popular theories ended up right?

What popular theories ended up being wrong?

1.  Daenerys would ride a dragon.  It happened on the next book ADWD.  

2.  Ramsay’s pack will hunt Arya and Nymeria.  Pity it didn’t happen.

3.  Daenerys will go back to the Dothraki to settle up with the Khals.  It didn’t or hasn’t happened.

4.  Varys will be revealed as a Targaryen bastard.  It didn’t happen.

5.  Ghost grass will spread in the Dothraki sea.  It didn’t happen.

The weirdest (and one of the more sillier) theories before ADwD was the Grand Tyrell Conspiracy Theory, the idea that basically everything at court revolving around Cersei was in fact an elaborate plan of the Tyrells to ruin her and seize power through completely counter-intuitive means - which never made much sense, but there were a lot of people who tried to spin it that way.

Earlier there was a Grand Unified Theory - before my time - which @Ran apparently liked, too - which basically saw Littlefinger as the main architect of the entire War of the Five Kings with him also being the one behind the Bran attempt (that idea then died with ASoS - that Littlefinger was behind Lysa's letter and she the murderess of Jon Arryn had been figured out before the revelation came in ASoS).

The idea that Prince Aegon would eventually come back in some form also goes back to before ASoS since Dany's vision in the House of the Undying makes that rather clear. And we did have reports from reading from the first 2-3 Tyrion chapters since before the publication of AFfC considering that George first read those a long time ago. That essentially confirmed that Jon Connington might be alive, too.

Bloodraven being the three-eyed crow was also a theory a lot of people entertained, although I'm not sure that one was very popular or even a thing back before AFfC came out.

I think pretty much nobody predicted that Aegon would steal Dany's thunder and go to Westeros before she got the chance to press her claim.

Before Feast, lots of people thought the Hound was definitely dead. No way, now how could he have survived.

Before Dance, lots of people thought Davos was dead too. Said so right in the text.

You can also hit the double >> on this board. I think it takes you back to pre-Dance, maybe pre-Feast?

Archived