Death scene: Jorah Mormont

Kajjo

I thought it was the most poignant scene in the episode, perhaps the whole series. And I think what made it so heart rending for me was that Dany actually cried, and not just cried, but sobbed like her heart was broken. She didn't cry when Drogo died, she didn't cry when Viseyrion died (not that we saw anyway), but for Jorah, she didn't play the stoic queen. She let it all go. It reminded me of Eowen crying over King Theomen's dead body in LotR.

52 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

It reminded me of Eowen crying over King Theomen's dead body in LotR.

King Theoden dying while staring into the eyes of his niece. The scene was magnificently done; Miranda Otto's performance is what helped make the scene so powerful -- Eowyn loved Theoden so much, and you can see this when the emotion pours out of her.

The Jorah and Daenerys scene could have been more powerful if they did more close up shots where you can actually see them crying. It would have been nice for Jorah to have a cool parting message like Theoden had, which went something like; 'My body is broken. I go to my fathers... in whose mighty company, I shall not now feel ashamed... Eowyn...'

3 minutes ago, Nihiloth90 said:

King Theoden dying while staring into the eyes of his niece. The scene was magnificently done; Mirando Otto's performance is what helped make the scene so powerful -- Eowyn loved Theoden so much, and you can see this when the emotion pours out of her.

OMG, I have watched that movie so many times and I still cry. And then even again when her brother finds her and wails thinking she is dead. That scene kills me.

5 minutes ago, Nihiloth90 said:

The Jorah and Daenerys scene could have been more powerful if they did more close up shots where you can actually see them crying. It would have been nice for Jorah to have a cool parting message like Theoden had, which went something like; 'Eowyn, my body is broken. I go to my fathers.. in whose mighty company, I shall not now...'

Closer up would have been nice, I agree. I think he just should have said "Khaleesi..." because after a while that seemed to be as much a term of endearment as a title of respect from him.

Honestly, I think Jorah is probably the most underrated character in the series, especially the books.  When anyone discusses favorite characters or most well written characters you will rarely ever see him.  I honestly think he is one of the best written characters who is not a point of view.   I mean I guess you can summarize him by being that overbearing man whom was infatuated with certain women who he could never truly appease... obviously much more complicated than that, but it is an interesting and sad perspective non the less.  Obviously love is the central theme in these books, and what love leads people to do.  

This obviously isn't the place for this dialogue, but non the less I feel its justified since the man just died.  Honestly when he was making his last stand, with the music in the background, it was glorious.  If anything maybe his death was a bit overshadowed by everything that was happening but still quite nice.  Honestly can't praise the music enough.

I am glad he died, not because I didn't like him but because someone had to. He survived the initial charge into the darkness, then survived the horde swarm, the retreat, battle inside WF.. He then hears her dragon cry and that's when you see him turn his head and take off. He knew she was in trouble and went to where he heard the dragon. He died exactly how he vowed to, saving his Queen. Good death for his character.

Apart from the epic-ness of the episode (what I could see anyways), this was one of the few bright spots for me. Jorah was one character I liked much more on screen than in the books. Great actor. He went out the defending his queen. Near perfect. 

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

I am glad he died, not because I didn't like him but because someone had to. He survived the initial charge into the darkness, then survived the horde swarm, the retreat, battle inside WF.. He then hears her dragon cry and that's when you see him turn his head and take off. He knew she was in trouble and went to where he heard the dragon. He died exactly how he vowed to, saving his Queen. Good death for his character.

Agreed.
I really like Jorah (and Iain Glen), I want him to live, but for the sake of the story, he needed to go, and there really was no better moment or way for him to go, than to protect his beloved queen and the north.

It's probably one of the reasons I'm not really saddened by his death, which I would've been if he had died in S5 or S6.

Archived