What did you like about the episode?

We have all heard the negativity. Yes yes, but let us also speak about the flip side and things we liked:

• Gendry legitimized
  • Making some progress (logical or not) on Dany as the Mad Queen
  • Liked the re-intro of Dorne. Riverlands and Reach next? Perhaps the rest of the Vale's army?
  • Jon's secret spreading.
  • Yohn Royce still alive.
  • Ghost still alive.
  • Every second of Tormund.
  • Varys having lines.
  • Set-up for a great battle.

I loved this episode and thought it was the best one since "Hold the Door" or "The Winds of Winter" in Season 6.  It almost seems like it's a renaissance of the greatness of Season 4 and before. I think the show hasn't been the same since then but they seem to finally order it up decently. The logical, truly exciting political intrigue is back and there was mostly no illogical or irrelevant bullshit things that happened. Varys' and Tyrion's discussion about Daenerys and the skewering of favour towards Jon Snow as Daenerys becomes more paranoid and impatient is very realistic and truly exciting. I didn't think they'd go there since I thought they didn't have time to develop another major conflict between Jon and Dany with only three episodes left, but they went there and I'm glad they did. Now that they shat the Long Night arc through its own sphincter and wrecked half of the entire series by doing so, I'm very grateful that there's still something interesting left and not just the good guys defeating Cersei and then everyone living happily ever after. Specifically Tyrion's and Varys' talk about Daenerys is interesting, stimulating and intelligent.

Also the entire beginning, with  the feast at Winterfell was truly great and just funny to watch. All the jokes and the relaxed atmosphere was a welcome choice and for example Tormund, Brienne and Tyrion's jokes/talk was of course great. 

Despite being devastated over Rhaegal's death, that scene was truly great. I would have wanted it to be a bigger moment with epic, sad music worthy of Rhaegal but at the same time the fact that it happened so suddenly and banal was good in a way too, and it still was a great scene. It was truly epic and visually magnificent, with Euron on the Silence sailing forward like a madman's crossbow juggernaut cleaving the ocean surface, bringing chaos and destruction, and the dragons green and black wheeling above with the wind and the sun shining high in the brilliant light blue sky.

1) Ghost is alive!!

2) Tormund will stay alive since he's going North

3) Varys has some lines and a purpose again, even if it's dumb.

4) Missy's death scene, while dumb, was still emotionally moving.

5) Sansa putting the Stark pin on Theon, but someone should have said what is dead may never die.

6) Drogon is alive!!

That's all I got. 

I thought the funeral was well done and moving. 

I enjoyed that there was more of a script to work with.  While the lines certainly weren't as good, it did have an echo of the earlier seasons for me. 

Ghost surviving the 'long night'. 

A scene between Sandor and Sansa.  I've wondered for a long time if they would meet up again. 

I thought the scene at the gate at the end was surprisingly well done/tense, and more moving than I would have thought a death scene for Missandei would be.  

I thought the episode was pretty well paced.  Overall, I did actually enjoy the episode as a piece of entertainment.  It is just the fact that certain storylines are being obviously rushed through and becoming a little nonsensical in the process, that spoils it for me. 

The tiny crumbs of good bits were swamped by the rest of the terrible writing. The things people listed above were certainly the good bits but not mostly the main points. Like sprinkling choclate chips on a turd pie. Its still a turd pie although those chocolate chips are tasty.

Archived