Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (spoilers)

DMC

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

As an Asian person I didn't like it, but I can also see how other people without that history would be able to enjoy it as a joke. At the same time, I do agree with my brother that it's a particularly unfortunate example since it's a white person beating up one of the few Asian role models in an era where Asians were already very much overlooked and suffered from huge prejudices in the industry. I don't mean to ruin the joke, people can enjoy it, but should be aware that for others there are some sensitivities about it.

I can understand why you'd be upset by the scene, but I also think that reading of it is incorrect. I highly doubt there was any racial element thrown in when Tarantino was writing the scene, I doubt he was like 'Woo yeah I want a white guy to beat up that famous Asian dude!'. 
But mostly its amusing because Bruce Lee is one of the most deified people on the planet, I know because I utterly worshipped him growing up and I got into martial arts because of him. He is treated almost like a god by everyone, he's almost not human any more. Poking fun at him shouldn't be taken off the table and we certainly shouldn't ever be saying there can never be scenes in movies where people's racial characteristics determine who is and isn't allowed to win a fight. 

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

To get back to the main film, I think one of the issues I had with the plot was that it seemed to me like a bunch of vignettes one after another. Individually, a lot of the scenes were masterpieces in showing the atmosphere, look and feel of old-time Hollywood. Sharon Tate in the cinema, Booth driving around Hollywood, people hitchhiking, all that stuff was great. But if you asked me to summarise the plot in a couple of sentences, I'd have no idea what to say.

Other than that, I completely agree with this assessment of the movie. It's a strange movie and I'm not sure why I enjoyed it so much. It had very little through thread keeping it together. It really was just a bunch of stuff that happened.

All the scenes were enjoyable and I loved my time with the characters. But there isn't much of a story there really.

In that way it really did feel like a Tarantino movie. Like Ran I don't think Tarantino has ever really hit the highs of Pulp Fiction, but I feel like IB and DU were improvements on Kill Bill. But Tarantinos movies don't tend to flow in the way other movies do, they really do feel like a collection of amazing scenes put next to each other. IB is a really good case of that, you just sit and remember that opening scenes with the floorboards, the bar scene.. but it's still just a bunch of scenes. It did however have some sort of plot running through it and a direction of travel, something Hollywood didn't have so much.

• 8 months later...

Archived