Copenhagen Eurocon (Sept 21-23)

mormont

Puhhh!

Glad Prod is back.

Wouldn´t have wanted to take the full responsibility for a thing like this.

Now i can safely lean back, put all responsibility aside and get very drunk. Perhaps tell the occasional lie about Copenhagen if anyone is stupid enough to ask my advice:D

Damn... should have waited another week...

Anyway :D

I said I was going to post yesterday... When I got up during the afternoon, I thought I would take a quick nip over to our new bar at uni... 11 hours later, alot of beer, shots and drinks, dancing on top of the bar, and eventually scaring most of the new first year students away, when I returned home, I didn´t quite feel up to posting at that exact moment :P

I had compiled a little list with a few suggestions so far, and I have also asked most of everyone I know to think of more ideas, so it should be updated several times during the week, and I guess we dont really have to settle on anything until Friday now that we are such a small group, we should be able to pick something when we are all together :)

So, so far -

Things to do/see

As Maester J suggested, there is the Carlsberg Visitor Center. Apparently they have changed it around a bit so instead of guided tours you wander around freely a 1900 brewery with some exhibitions. There is still free sampling at the end, and it is very cheap at 40kr per person.

There are http://www.canaltours.com/DCT/DA/GuidedSightSeeing/Nyhavn/Canal Tours around Copenhagen which, if it is good weather, are very enjoyable. They last around an hour, you get to see lots of the city which is at the waterfront, it is very central, and also quite cheap, 60 kr. One every half hour, so easy to fit in.

The starting and ending point for the canal trip is also close to Nyhavn, a very nice small area which apparently cant spell "ships" (sjips?!). Filled with restaurants, bars and cafe's, it is a pretty expensive area, but right next to the center, and one could always enjoy a beer or two by the water before moving on.

The very center of the city is dominated by our high street called Strøget, maybe not that exciting in and of itself unless one wants to go shopping, but running parallel on one side of it is Strædet, which has lots of really good cafés for potential eating, and on the other side there are lots of good places to drink. Also connects our Rådhusplads, the City Hall square, with Kongens Nytorv (it´s not usually quite that busy), another large square which has Nyhavn on the other side.

Of course, there is Tivoli, the worlds oldest amusement park, if one likes that kind of thing. But this is also very expensive, so probably not a feasible option. It is in the middle of everything, and is rather pretty besides, and has huge fireworks every Saturday when they close, though.

Then there is Christiania, the freehaven. Originally a social experiment, the inhabitants created an autonomous city part where they built their own houses. Personally I love it there, but that might also be connected to the choice of herbs which I inhale. Naturally, it is free to wonder around, and also central.

I can also recommend Islands Brygge in general. A new city part where I live, close to Christiania, it houses some of the newest architecture in Denmark, including the nationally renowned Tietgen Collegium which has been hailed as Denmarks most exciting building, or some such. I happen to live there so I could give a guided tour ;)

Then there is Bryggen, the harbour front of Islands Brygge, which leads us on to -

Places to eat

Bryggens Spisehus, makes quite cheap, very good food, great view, ideal if we want to see the other parts of Islands Brygge or Christianshavn.

The Laundromat - a place to eat and wash your clothes at the same time. Though not particularly useful for us, it is a great place with great atmosphere good food, not particularly expensive and located on Elmegade, in Nørrebro. Elmegade has lots of other good eating places if it is filled up, and Nørrebro is a part of the city which has lots of places to drink afterwards.

Other than those two, I can recommend a personal favourite restaurant, Sahil, a very inexpensive indian restaurant right next to Nyhavn with delicious Indian food :)

Places to drink

I haven´t really had too much time to think of drinking places yet. But nearly every part of the city has lots of places which would be ideal, both Nørrebro, Vesterbro where your hotel is, and the center of the city. In the center I can recommend a bar called Wall Street, but I will try to think of some more specific places.

__

I also tried to look up specific events going on during the Saturday.

I should be able to find out alot more about those from tomorrow or monday, but so far I have found out that the Norths largest Art Convention is on at during the weekend, if anyone is interested in art, there is huge exhibition on at Forum, which is very central.

Also, the Copenhagen Film Festival is on at the moment, and here is a list of the films playing on the 22., if anyone should be interested in that :) Programs for the other days is on the right.

__

Thats about it for now, sorry for the typos and stuff in this post, it was written in great haste, I have to go back to our bar now for more drinking today you see ;)

Hope thats a good start to get people thinking a bit about what they want to do :)

I'm confused about tickets. Mormie says that we need tickets for the Welcome reception on Friday, but that these are already sold out? I don't get it.

The reception at Copenhagen City Hall on Friday at 11am (not to be confused with the opening ceremony at the con itself on Friday at 4pm) is apparently ticket only: no additional cost, but you need to sign up for it in advance. Or needed, I should say, since the deadline was apparently 10am Monday, according to an email I got on Friday but didn't read until today. Oops. :P The email is specific in saying no ticket, no entry.

since the deadline was apparently 10am Monday, according to an email I got on Friday but didn't read until today. Oops. :P The email is specific in saying no ticket, no entry.

Maybe that's only for getting the ticket mailed to you? On the website, it says tickets (for the event) can be picked up in advance on Thursday 15-20, or early Friday 9-11. In that case we only need to send somebody there on Thursday (not me) to pick up tickets and reimburse him/her/it/the Furry later.

But maybe there are more sense of "ticket" than I realise.

Maybe that's only for getting the ticket mailed to you? On the website, it says tickets (for the event) can be picked up in advance on Thursday 15-20, or early Friday 9-11.

I think that's for collecting the tickets for which you have already signed up. The website says:

Deadline for signing up for the reception is friday september, 14th. It's now too late to sign up for the reception at the city hall. If you signed up, you will get a message about how to pick up the ticket.

oops! I did sign up for this reception thingy as it promised free food and I didn't want to miss out on that if there was any chance of arriving in time :blush: Don't really fancy going on my own although maybe I can go in stuff my pockets and come out and feed all you disorganised lot :P

Shame about the reception...

I cant seem to find when people are coming over, maybe im just blind, but im not sure a list was ever compiled. If thats so, can everyone attending please post from which days they are here, departure and arrival times, and hotels. And lets find out when we first meet up then :)

Prod will of course be wearing his proud 'naked rat' suit.

... who told you about that? :leaving:

prod: don't think there is a list. Malt's already there. ten and I arrive Friday morning, leave Monday sometime. Not sure about the others?

ps crucial packing question: how cold is it there right now?

prod: don't think there is a list. Malt's already there. ten and I arrive Friday morning, leave Monday sometime. Not sure about the others?

ps crucial packing question: how cold is it there right now?

There's a big thermometer on one of the buildings in the main square here (Radhusplatz, I think the name is), which has been around 15-18 whenever I've seen it the last couple of days. It was colder when I went up to Hamlet's castle yesterday, though.

There's a big thermometer on one of the buildings in the main square here (Radhusplatz, I think the name is), which has been around 15-18 whenever I've seen it the last couple of days. It was colder when I went up to Hamlet's castle yesterday, though.

Hmm waterproof jacket or parka - still can't decide... :unsure:

Archived