Cricket 37: Boycott's Grandma Probably Should Bat

Jeor

9 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Again I would tend to question Root's captaincy - Leach is perfectly capable of wheeling through more overs of good, controlled test bowling than a single six-over spell. And at least if wickets aren't falling, you can stop the opposition going at nearly four runs per over. 

I agree with the general concern with Root’s captaincy but I don’t think it’s particularly unusual not to use your spinner much on a day like today. Day one, overcast conditions and on and off with rain is pretty much the classic stick to your fast bowlers, especially when you’ve got four of them, kind of day.

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I agree with the general concern with Root’s captaincy but I don’t think it’s particularly unusual not to use your spinner much on a day like today. Day one, overcast conditions and on and off with rain is pretty much the classic stick to your fast bowlers, especially when you’ve got four of them, kind of day.

True. I just feel that the above is Root's philosophy every single day, regardless of Ali and Leach being completely different bowlers. I don't see Tim Paine following suit, though admittedly Lyon has 300+ more wickets to his name than Leach. 

I think Archer isn't bowling 90+ because he is conserving his energy. I think he may have been told he is expected to bowl a LOT more overs. So he is cruising at mid 80s and cranking up to 90s when required (like when Smith came on). I don't think it's the best use for someone who can bowl 90+, but he did get a fair few wickets in the mid-80s in the last few match. So maybe England don't mind using him like this as faster bowling doesn't necessarily mean more wickets (although it does affect the mental game).

Fucking openers letting Aussies down again. Wtf is up with Warner? that's the second (or third?) 'leave-edge' he got this series. Pretty unlucky but still kinda poor. Broad has been all over him.

Edit: Smith back at No.1 Test ranking. That didn't take long did it lol

47 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Fucking openers letting Aussies down again. Wtf is up with Warner? that's the second (or third?) 'leave-edge' he got this series. Pretty unlucky but still kinda poor. Broad has been all over him.

I think it's gotten past unlucky now and the leave-edges are really just a sign of his poor technique. His place in the team is entirely due to his career numbers which is why I think it was a bit harsh to axe Khawaja. If you're going to keep Warner just because of his career average, in spite of obvious current problems, then I would have thought that line of reasoning would apply to Khawaja also (whose performances have arguably been a little bit better).

And I still think the selection of Marcus Harris was a mistake in the first place, and they should have had the courage to correct the mistake by dropping him after one match (and having Khawaja open instead), harsh though that would have looked.

Sun is shining, second day pitch, old ball. Australia really need to make the most of this. With the Day 3 forecast looking very grim this will definitely be the best day left to bat.

EDIT: And the very ball that I post that, Head goes LBW. He should have challenged I bet...would have been at least ump's call.

Australia doing well enough, all thanks to you-know-who. Bleh.

ETA: In defence of Warner (can’t believe I’m saying this), he still has a better series average than Roy and Buttler. So you’d have to be arguing that they should both be dropped before a veteran like Warner.

Yeah, real rush of blood from Wade that wasn't needed. Given Paine's limited contributions with the bat, Wade really needed to dig in and stay with Smith. The scoring rate was fine and there was no need to charge Leach - he had done it successfully once and hit a boundary but maybe got a bit greedy there.

Paine really needs a score in this series. He's gone cheaply pretty much every time and exposed the tail, so England will feel they are a good chance of limiting Australia to a sub-300 score.

I don't mind him charging the spinner, but there is no need for shots like that. Just get to the pitch and work the ball. With him, its always leaves or big drives. It's annoying because he has worked hard at his defensive side and he played lots of balls to get himself in a bit (though never quite looked comfortable).

At this point, Cummins coming into bat would fill me with more confidence than Paine.

Smith with another century - the guy is a machine. Yet he did look vulnerable early on today - Archer put down a tough caught and bowled chance, and Smith played and missed at a few outside the off stump. It wasn't a foregone conclusion he would get to a century but now that he has, it'll be interesting if he can push on and make Archer pay for that drop.

Well, we need to wait for the second innings before making all our selection decisions again I guess. :P

Maybe I'm poking the bear, but Archer's body language seemed quite negative this morning. Maybe it's that he hasn't gotten any wickets (0/50 off 16) when he's been used to doing it for fun in the previous two matches. Having said that, he'll probably rip out the tail now.

Roy's dropped a sitter off Paine, Leach had Smith's wicket but it was a no-ball. England are really shooting themselves in the foot here, they could have been right into the tail by now. However given Paine's form he may or may not be able to make it count.

Leach has bowled very well and looked threatening to Smith, but it is criminal for a spinner to bowl a no-ball.

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Really? Jesus Christ.:bang:

Yeah, tidy wicket too - deceived Smith and nicked it to first slip, Stokes took the catch cleanly.

One could actually say Leach deserved it, he'd enticed a few false shots from Smith and generally unsettled him.

The forecast looks pretty terrible for tomorrow so I have a feeling this one might be a draw. I'm calling it early...

1 minute ago, The Winged Shadow said:

With runs slowly piling in, will England regret not having Woakes's batting in the lineup? Can Overton bat? Or are they hoping the dud batters will turn it around?

I don't think England have too much to fear. The pitch doesn't look nearly as quick as the build-up seemed to make it out to be, and this current new ball doesn't look very threatening, so batting should still be good for England's first innings.

If England bat like they did in the last innings of Headingley, with Root/Denly and others applying themselves, they should be able to keep themselves safe from a loss at least, even if it's not necessarily a great position here to win from.

Archived