Boarders writing a novel

Derfel Cadarn

@Lord Patrek

I asked the mods and making a post asking for reviews is strictly prohibited. There's a weekly promotion thread as well as a new releases thread (both of which I've posted in) but apart from that and mentioning it in comments (which will get marked as spam if you haven't build any rep) you have to have some sort of sale or giveaway to make a post solely to promote your book (and KDP Select doesn't let you run a reduced price promotion or freebie for the first month out of three). Therefore, I'm trying to just build up some rep (or karma as I think it's called on Reddit) so that around the 25th I can make a sales post without it getting flagged or taken down.

In other news, a few more personal contacts have either bought the book or said they will once they have time. And a few among them have also agreed to post reviews once they've finished reading it.

Any advice with regards to what Lin Meili said about the blurb being vague?

Oh, and I made an author profile on Goodreads!

Edited by The Grey Wolf Strikes Back

13 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@Lin Meili

1) 3 of the short stories and all the vignettes are set in a shared comic book superhero-like setting known the Mistland Universe (so named after the fictitious Neo-Victorian country). A fourth short story is set in one of my co-authors' version of King Arthur, which we hope to expand with more stories in the future.

2) There honestly isn't really a theme beyond all the stories being different examples of fiction and the tone being generally somber. In fact, that's what I'm hoping will be one of the main draws. That there's something in it for everyone. To give a few examples, there's gritty war drama, alternate history gothic, tragic interspecies romance, and medieval skullduggery.

Okay, but the blurb on Amazon is basically marketing copy.

Instead of "Includes 13 short stories, 5 vignettes, and 2 poems," people normally put something like "Nine stunningly original, provocative, and poignant stories" (from Ted Chiang's blurb).

You could try the usual format of Amazon book blurbs: one line in bold to catch people's attention, then one paragraph about the content, then one final sentence to bring it all together. Example - https://www.amazon.com/Wesleyan-Anthology-Science-Fiction/dp/0819569550/

For your book, it would look something like this:

Thirteen stunning stories of speculative fiction full of action and laughs.

Put one or two paragraphs here describing the stories, make sure it's hyped up. Sell the book. Something like: In the Mistland Universe, superheroes rub shoulders with supervillains in a bustling post-war city brimming with magical drugs and high-tech weapons. You know add something exciting or interesting.

Then here a final line to sum things up: From comic-bookesque adventures and interspecies romance, to a gothic alternate history escapade, and a tale of medieval skullduggery, Tales from Mistland & Other Oddities is book that both excites and intrigues as it plumbs the depths of imagination and comedy.

1 hour ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@Lord Patrek

I asked the mods and making a post asking for reviews is strictly prohibited. There's a weekly promotion thread as well as a new releases thread (both of which I've posted in) but apart from that and mentioning it in comments (which will get marked as spam if you haven't build any rep) you have to have some sort of sale or giveaway to make a post solely to promote your book (and KDP Select doesn't let you run a reduced price promotion or freebie for the first month out of three). Therefore, I'm trying to just build up some rep (or karma as I think it's called on Reddit) so that around the 25th I can make a sales post without it getting flagged or taken down.

In other news, a few more personal contacts have either bought the book or said they will once they have time. And a few among them have also agreed to post reviews once they've finished reading it.

Any advice with regards to what Lin Meili said about the blurb being vague?

Oh, and I made an author profile on Goodreads!

Weekly promo thread on Reddit is a waste of time. Posted on it several times, and no one seems to get any engagement at all.

That particular reddit page is only really interested in the big names.

3 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@Lin Meili

I'll see if I can tweak or expand my current blurb accordingly. (I take it I shouldn't mention the poems or vignettes in the bolded line?)

@Derfel Cadarn

I feared as much. Oh well. No harm done.

No idea for your specific case. I was just giving and example of the format and the mood. I write more on the comedic side, but you should do something appropriate for your book. :)

57 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

I got one comment and a few likes but no buyers.

No, I mean ask for people who'd write an honest review in exchange of a free copy.

The vast majority of published anthologies never earn out. It's a sad reality of the market. 

But putting one together wasn't a mistake. I'm sure you had a blast working on this project and that makes it worthwhile. :) 

Your only mistake was forking out money for artwork and maps you didn't need. 

But if you can get the ball rolling, you might recoup a good chunk of your investment down the line.

Not sure there's anything wrong about the blurb, to tell the truth.

To try to make it sound like it's as good as Ted Chiang or Wildcards is more likely to make people laught at you, me thinks.

It's a sel-published anthology by unknown and unpublished writers. Trying to make it sound like the works of award-winning authors will not likely generate more interest. . .

3 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Not sure there's anything wrong about the blurb, to tell the truth.

To try to make it sound like it's as good as Ted Chiang or Wildcards is more likely to make people laught at you, me thinks.

It's a sel-published anthology by unknown and unpublished writers. Trying to make it sound like the works of award-winning authors will not likely generate more interest. . .

Well, you can also look at Derfel's blurb. You don't have to be Ted Chiang to have marketing phrases on your blurb. Everyone does it. Yes, even unknown authors.:read:

If you think Ted Chiang's example is too much, here's an example that hits closer to home.

Resurrection Men is the first book in David Craig’s Sooty Feathers series, a masterful gothic tale about a supernatural war for control of the Second City of the British Empire

Note that our own Derfel's book also uses the formatting that I mentioned - the bolded line on top, then the content, then the final summary paragraph - https://www.amazon.com/Resurrection-Men-Sooty-Feathers-Book-ebook/dp/B07G6CM2BS.

Anyway, at the end of the day, it's really up to you. If you're satisfied with your blurb, you don't have to change it. But you did ask for suggestions on how to sell more books, right? So that's my suggestion.

@Lin Meili

I am so sorry if I offended you! When I asked Lord Patrek for his input I was thinking more along the lines of how to implement your advice, not second-guessing the validity of it!

Anyway, for what its worth, here is what I came up with:

"Thirteen amazing short stories plus other written extras.

Hero and villain. Fugitive and citizen. Irregulars have been all these things over recent years, especially the ones in Mistland, a Neo-Victorian kingdom out of place and time. But beyond that universe lay countless others. A world where dragons terrorize whole nations from the skies, a world where malcontents scheme for power just beyond the Round Table’s reach, and more. So kindle your hearth, sit down, and open the door to a new adventure. You won’t be disappointed.

Because between these pages you will find/there is medieval skullduggery, tragic interspecies romance, gritty war drama, comic book adventures, gothic alternate history, and everything in-between. For/Indeed Tales from Mistland & Other Oddities has something for everyone...including/especially you, (curious traveler?)."

Edited by The Grey Wolf Strikes Back

2 hours ago, Lin Meili said:

Well, you can also look at Derfel's blurb. You don't have to be Ted Chiang to have marketing phrases on your blurb. Everyone does it. Yes, even unknown authors.:read:

If you think Ted Chiang's example is too much, here's an example that hits closer to home.

Note that our own Derfel's book also uses the formatting that I mentioned - the bolded line on top, then the content, then the final summary paragraph - https://www.amazon.com/Resurrection-Men-Sooty-Feathers-Book-ebook/dp/B07G6CM2BS.

Anyway, at the end of the day, it's really up to you. If you're satisfied with your blurb, you don't have to change it. But you did ask for suggestions on how to sell more books, right? So that's my suggestion.

I’d like to clarify the blurb was written by my publisher, it was they who called it ‘masterful’. :)

Most of the blurb was taken from my ‘pitch’ to them I think, certainly it looks familiar.

I did submit a blurb for Lord of the Hunt, which the publisher used.

20 reviews, and the non-verified are by review bloggers. Tbh Amazon and Goodreads reviews are the only tangible benefit to getting reviews from small bloggers since few people read their blog.

The larger bloggers generally aren’t interested in self-published or small press works.

2 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@Lin Meili

I am so sorry if I offended you! When I asked Lord Patrek for his input I was thinking more along the lines of how to implement your advice, not second-guessing the validity of it!

Anyway, for what its worth, here is what I came up with:

"Thirteen amazing short stories plus other written extras.

Hero and villain. Fugitive and citizen. Irregulars have been all these things over recent years, especially the ones in Mistland, a Neo-Victorian kingdom out of place and time. But beyond that universe lay countless others. A world where dragons terrorize whole nations from the skies, a world where malcontents scheme for power just beyond the Round Table’s reach, and more. So kindle your hearth, sit down, and open the door to a new adventure. You won’t be disappointed.

Because between these pages you will find/there is medieval skullduggery, tragic interspecies romance, gritty war drama, comic book adventures, gothic alternate history, and everything in-between. For/Indeed Tales from Mistland & Other Oddities has something for everyone...including/especially you, (curious traveler?)."

It's fine!

If you want a less hype blurb, then go with something more like this example:

Journey to worlds near and far… <--- This bit here is the headline. This example keeps it simple.

The Great Beyond anthology is a compilation of timeless space adventure tales. From humanity's first footsteps into space, to galaxies far away, to alternative versions of Earth, these fun and hopeful tales will transport you far from our present reality. <--- A statement of genre (space adventure), setting/s, and tone (fun).

Featuring bestselling authors as well as fresh new voices, begin your journey into the great beyond. Grab your copy today! <---- Again, as per the usual format, a call to action. It doesn't have to be over-the-top if you don't want it to be.

Stories include: <---- You can do this, too, if you like.

"The Long Way Home” by Mark Henwick

“The Mixon Drive” by J.R. Handley

“A Fair Trade” by A.M. Scott

“Weightless” by Raven Oak

“Improbable Meat” by Richard Fife

“The Captain’s Yacht” by Marcus Alexander Hart

“Star Cadets” by C.W. Lamb

“The Day the Earth Was Graded” by P. Andrew Floyd

“Reservation Earth” by David Alan Jones

“Integration” by A.K. DuBoff

From https://www.amazon.com/Great-Beyond-Anthology-Classic-Adventure/dp/B08BF44JQD/

I know it seems a pain, lol. You can just stick with your current blurb if you're happy with it.

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I’d like to clarify the blurb was written by my publisher, it was they who called it ‘masterful’. :)

I'm sure we all knew that.

6 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@Lin Meili

Thanks. Will consider. (I thought about listing all the stories but feared readers would find it overwhelming and redundant since they can see the table of contents by clicking "look inside".)

Btw, would you, @Lord Patrek, @Derfel Cadarn, @Starkess@The Marquis de Leech, @C.T. Phipps, or @Gigei like a free copy?

Bought a copy, won’t be able to read straight away as reading an arc for my publisher before publication