US Politics: holding our breath waiting to see what happens next

Ser Scot A Ellison

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

IA-2 I think all the votes are in, it's just a question of the recount.

Aye, Hart only lost by 48 votes, who knows?!?  Sounds like there is tangible reason to hope:

Iowa's secretary of state had already ordered an audit and recount in Lucas County on Tuesday, after one precinct reported test data and not the actual vote count. A similar order was issued in Jasper County, after a data error resulted in votes being given incorrectly to Miller-Meeks. The recount will be handled by county auditors and is expected to begin next week. 

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Biden should not have a public inauguration, at least not one where thousands of people pack together during a pandemic that is spread though the air when people are in close proximity. Should just do it in front of a joint session of Congress but in a place that seats 1000 to allow for reasonable distancing, though the Republicans can defiantly huddle together mask-less if they really want to.

I strongly agree with this.

In fact if Biden does have a huge crowded inaugural I will lose a ton of respect for him. 

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Aye, Hart only lost by 48 votes, who knows?!?  Sounds like there is tangible reason to hope:

In California Harly Rouda seems to have narrowly lost his race in Orange County. I think he is the only incumbent Democrat to have lost his seat so far. There are three others that are too close to call. TJ Cox trails David Valadao by about 2,000 votes in a rematch of the incumbent Democrat Cox vs. the former incumbent, Valadao, who he beat two years ago. The good news for Cox is that there looks to be a lot of votes yet uncounted in Kern county where he has his base and his highest vote percentage. How many of those Kern county votes are within his district I don't know.

In a rematch of a special election, Democrat Christy Smith is only 104 votes behind Republican Mike Garcia. There appears to be a significant amount of LA county votes yet uncounted that will decide the race. As of now, Smith has a slight lead among LA votes and that could still make the difference. This is Katie Hill's former district.

Incumbent Democrat Gil Cisneros trails Young Kim by 4,161 with votes not yet counted in LA and San Bernardino counties.

We should know the extent of the losses here within a few days.

In 2018 Democrats swept all the Orange county seats, so it looks like Trump's turnout at least helped to take back one of those seats.

That they need to state this shows how far we have fallen.

GOP Leaders In 4 States Quash Dubious Trump Scheme On Electors
Lawmakers in Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin have all said they won’t intervene in selecting electors.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/gop-leaders-in-4-states-quash-dubious-trump-scheme-on-electors_n_5fb043bec5b6c5f3d2f7ec15

Republican leaders in four critical states won by President-elect Joe Biden say they won’t participate in a legally dubious scheme to flip their state’s electors to vote for President Donald Trump. Their comments effectively shut down a half-baked plot some Republicans floated as a last chance to keep Trump in the White House.

State GOP lawmakers in Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin have all said they would not intervene in the selection of electors, who ultimately cast the votes that secure a candidate’s victory. Such a move would violate state law and a vote of the people, several noted.

“I do not see, short of finding some type of fraud — which I haven’t heard of anything — I don’t see us in any serious way addressing a change in electors,” said Rusty Bowers, Arizona’s Republican House speaker, who says he’s been inundated with emails pleading for the legislature to intervene. “They are mandated by statute to choose according to the vote of the people.”

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

Cisneros conceded last night.  Link.

He knows the district far better than I do. Too bad. In California, we accept mail in ballots up until November 20th, I believe, as long as they are postmarked by election date. I would have thought a close contest like his he would have waited, but I'm sure he knows the precincts with outstanding votes. So, two losses so far. I hold out hope for the other two.

Archived