US Politics: Guns versus Butter

DMC

One thing I'm really hoping is that Republicans erosion of support among college educated white voters in 2018 and 2020 means that Democrats typical struggles with midterm elections when in power (see 1994, 2010, 2014) will not come to pass.  No way to know in advance, but there is definitely reason to think that while the Republican party still skews older (who vote more) it could be counterbalanced by the fact that Democrats are becoming the more educated party (who vote more). 

I'll admit, this is absolutely motivated reasoning on my part, but the Democratic struggles in 2014 (when things were going pretty well overall) really pissed me the hell off.  Democrats getting a modest win in a low or moderate turnout election in 2022 would be simply delightful. 

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

What's that line in the Clash song, something about turning rebellion into money?

https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/insurance-companies-reaping-benefits-from-protests-get-in-line-with-black-lives-matter/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Insurance companies loooooove property damage

Not too surprising I'd say.

But does this not say that 1619 lady was way off base on the property can be replaced line?  So it was all good for her except it was mostly underinsured minorities losing stuff and not getting property replaced?

Also dude on the deboer thing from the other thread...I can see the whiney argument up to a point.  it was kind of a whine.  but it was also a whine about whiners, so coming in and calling it a whine is also kind of a whine...fuck, I'm just confused now.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

One thing I'm really hoping is that Republicans erosion of support among college educated white voters in 2018 and 2020 means that Democrats typical struggles with midterm elections when in power (see 1994, 2010, 2014) will not come to pass.  No way to know in advance, but there is definitely reason to think that while the Republican party still skews older (who vote more) it could be counterbalanced by the fact that Democrats are becoming the more educated party (who vote more). 

I'll admit, this is absolutely motivated reasoning on my part, but the Democratic struggles in 2014 (when things were going pretty well overall) really pissed me the hell off.  Democrats getting a modest win in a low or moderate turnout election in 2022 would be simply delightful. 

From what I hear and read, redistricting and all thse other voter suppressions alone could be desastrous.

An expert quoted by Pod Save America (sorry, I don't remember his name) wrote that redistricting alone could cost the Dems 6 house seats.

8 minutes ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

But does this not say that 1619 lady was way off base on the property can be replaced line?  So it was all good for her except it was mostly underinsured minorities losing stuff and not getting property replaced?

Also dude on the deboer thing from the other thread...I can see the whiney argument up to a point.  it was kind of a whine.  but it was also a whine about whiners, so coming in and calling it a whine is also kind of a whine...fuck, I'm just confused now.

Property can be replaced, people murdered by the police can't be.

10 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Property can be replaced, people murdered by the police can't be.

There are places you can go to get help with cult de-programming.  You literally used her language right after you yourself posted an article proving she was wrong about it.  

The argument is just so dumb and so unbelievably cruel to poorer people of color that presumably you'd have some empathy for.  The point of your linked article is that the property actually cannot and will not be replaced much of the time and livelihoods are lost and not for MAGA world either.  

40 minutes ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

"That 1619 lady". Ok, super excited to dig in to your, undoubtedly, thoughtful and nuanced takes.

31 minutes ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

There are places you can go to get help with cult de-programming.  You literally used her language right after you yourself posted an article proving she was wrong about it.  

The argument is just so dumb and so unbelievably cruel to poorer people of color that presumably you'd have some empathy for.  The point of your linked article is that the property actually cannot and will not be replaced much of the time and livelihoods are lost and not for MAGA world either.  

I posted that article because it's a terrible take - it's trying to use some property damage as justification to not protest murder of your neighbors.  Not because I agreed with the thrust if it.

1 minute ago, Week said:

"That 1619 lady". Ok, super excited to dig in to your, undoubtedly, thoughtful and nuanced takes.

Like how maybe even when there are legit reasons for social unrest it's still cruel and short-sighted to dismiss the ruination of the lives of immigrants of color?  Is that not nuanced or maybe just can't be allowed into the discussion since it's against the narrative?

1 minute ago, larrytheimp said:

I posted that article because it's a terrible take - it's trying to use some property damage as justification to not protest murder of your neighbors.  Not because I agreed with the thrust if it.

Now I'm confused.  The part I'm honing in on, which I have no reason to doubt cause I don't love insurance firms either, is that lots of these non-MAGA people who got their places hit will not be made whole, not even close.  

A significant amount of damage was completely unrelated to the protests -- in fact, was intentional to lead to discussions such as this. (https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-helped-ignite-george-floyd-riots-identified-white/story?id=72051536) Related or not, larry's point stands. 

Refusal to name the author of the 1619 Project and refer to her as "that 1619 lady" says a lot. This is all bad faith until you prove otherwise. 

7 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

This isn't tough.  You can buy a new front door or window.  You can't buy a new family member.

Right, it was only front doors and windows.  

Y'all get to the mobbing quick here don't you?  

ETA:  @Week I know her name, NHJ.  The fact that you think a quick post on a message board signals anything says more about you.  Read her reparations piece and more.

7 minutes ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

Right, it was only front doors and windows.  

Y'all get to the mobbing quick here don't you?  

ETA:  @Week I know her name, NHJ.  The fact that you think a quick post on a message board signals anything says more about you.  Read her reparations piece and more.

Nikole Hannah-Jones. 

Also, https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/10/23/man-linked-far-right-boogaloo-bois-charged-after-allegedly-firing-ak-47-minneapolis-precinct/

6 minutes ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

Yeah, where people pounce at the slightest sign someone is only 90% with the narrative.  plus ad homenims, accusations of bad faith, "this isn't tough," that's all mobbing.

Huh, seems like you were the one calling me out for posting "angry" and I didn't respond, except to criticize the predictably shitty DeBoer piece you linked.  Bit fire away with the accusations of ad hominem, they are entertaining.

Archived