Westeros Euro 2020 - Fantasy League

20 hours ago, Romelu Whiskaku said:

Was a little nervous going with Maehle, because I've used both my chips and saw this as a 50-50 game.  Can't afford to lose too many players this round.

Glad I stuck with him, that was a huge game.

Since everything is pretty set at this point, is there a link you could send me to explain how to actually play FF, European style? I really have no clue how to set a team outside of picking strikers and would like to get better at this (at least I'm not in last place).

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Since everything is pretty set at this point, is there a link you could send me to explain how to actually play FF, European style? I really have no clue how to set a team outside of picking strikers and would like to get better at this (at least I'm not in last place).

I don't play FPL, so can't really comment on that.  Love watching games, but prefer to just relax and enjoy them instead of reading up about fantasy projections, checking who's in the lineup, etc.  I think some of the other guys here play though, so maybe they can offer some advice.

That said, I do really like playing fantasy for the Euro and the World Cup every 2 years, so can give some thoughts on those.

1) Read the rules.  I feel like maybe there are some people who didn't read the rules regarding the Limitless and Wildcard chips, as well as how substitutions and captains work?  Probably less true in this league than in my league with my friends off the board, but there are a few in here too. 

2) Find a website to read about the teams and players.  I know who most of the players are because I watch a ton of football and play a good amount of FIFA, but still need to read up on who is likely to get game time and how they are going to be used for their national team.  A great example is Wijnaldum, who had a more defensive role for Liverpool but is played in a much more offensive capacity for the Netherlands.

3) Understand the different midfield roles.  Building off of the Wijnaldum comment - there is a huge difference between an attacking midfielder and a defensive midfielder in fantasy.  At least for these competitions - it might be different in FPL if they give points for things like ball recoveries, passing accuracy, etc.  But for Euro and World Cup, they only did that once in my memory and it was a decade ago.  As it stands right now, guys like Kante and de Jong are great players who are bad fantasy picks because they are unlikely to get goals or assists.  

4)  In this specific game, players who are classified as defenders but being used as attacking fullbacks/wingbacks/wingers have the highest scoring potential.  This is because they can combine the points they get from a clean sheet with points from attacking returns like goals and assists.  I mentioned Maehle before - his points per dollar output has to be near the top of all players, I'm guessing.

That's all I can think of right now.  Like I said, other people here play more than me and can probably offer better advice, but those are some of the things I've noticed.  

Two French and three Dutch. FFS. At least Griezmann as captain and Pogba gave me points. Oof, not my tournament.

I think I need to give up on selecting defenders, just go with the cheapest, since they're likely not to concede goals because they'll be on the bench ;) and focus on midfielders and forwards.

So we've got three transfers before the quarters. Of my squad of 15 players 9 players have been knocked out and I'm not particularly confident that 3 of the remaining players will be starting for their respective sides. So, er, yeah, it's going well.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this is going to come down to Maguire + Sterling (my captain) vs. Mount + Kane (Akinbolu's captain) + 4 points.

We ended up the same everywhere else.

Unfortunately, my 2nd choice for captain was Shaw.  So close to getting it right.  (Avoided Kane because I need to make up points, and figured he'd pick him.)

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

So who is the owner of Akinbolu FC? Come forth, so you may be congratulated.

@Romelu Whiskaku you played great, kept it close.

I managed to tie for 5th. A few better decisions in the last round of the group stage and the round of 16, and I would have been in business. 

Thanks man!  Had a lot of fun.

And congrats to Akinbolu FC, whoever it is.  Well played.

Archived