Howland Reed is the KotLT - Proof by Canon

LynnS

5 minutes ago, Melifeather said:

What about the parallel of having Loras be gay? It does seem to be an indication that the Knight of the Laughing Tree was both male and female.

Or could he be 'no one' neither male or female.

2 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Or could he be 'no one' neither male or female.

Notice that "no one" will learn sorcery and glamors:

"Mummers change their faces with artifice," the kindly man was saying, "and sorcerers use glamors, weaving light and shadow and desire to make illusions that trick the eye. These arts you shall learn, but what we do here goes deeper. Wise men can see through artifice, and glamors dissolve before sharp eyes, but the face you are about to don will be as true and solid as that face you were born with

1 minute ago, Tucu said:

Why not:

glamors seem to work on metal

And if he is drawing from the experience of the previous owner of the greathelm; perhaps this is where he gets his ability to joust and ride.  

13 minutes ago, LynnS said:

We still don't know what magics he learned from the green men.  This is very interesting!

Leaf spent 200 years among Men so glamoring is likely a CoTF skill

For him. The Bran boy. I was born in the time of the dragon, and for two hundred years I walked the world of men, to watch and listen and learn

2 minutes ago, Tucu said:

Leaf spent 200 years among Men so glamoring is likely a CoTF skill

My mind is blown.  Howland puts on the greathelm like its a mask and becomes no one. It's almost like skinchanging a face with residual memories and experiences drawn from the previous owner.  I think we see something like it with Sandor's helm.  All Howland needs is a power-up to strengthen his arm.

2 hours ago, LynnS said:

My mind is blown.  Howland puts on the greathelm like its a mask and becomes no one. It's almost like skinchanging a face with residual memories and experiences drawn from the previous owner.  I think we see something like it with Sandor's helm.  All Howland needs is a power-up to strengthen his arm.

Maybe this is also why Meera carries it? If she knows how to glamour, can she draw on the powers of the previous owner? Its all speculation of course, because we've not been shown any reason to believe Meera is trained as either a Faceless Man nor as a witch. But she's obviously carrying the helm for a reason other than protection for her head.

2 hours ago, LynnS said:

A couple of quotes about Maynard Plumm to look at BR's glamors:

Dunk whirled. Through the rain, all he could make out was a hooded shape and a single pale white eye. It was only when the man came forward that the shadowed face beneath the cowl took on the familiar features of Ser Maynard Plumm, the pale eye no more than the moonstone brooch that pinned his cloak at the shoulder.

This close, there was something queer about the cast of Ser Maynard's features. The longer Dunk looked, the less he seemed to see

cast&shadow

4 minutes ago, Melifeather said:

Maybe this is also why Meera carries it? If she knows how to glamour, can she draw on the powers of the previous owner? Its all speculation of course, because we've not been shown any reason to believe Meera is trained as either a Faceless Man nor as a witch. But she's obviously carrying the helm for a reason other than protection for her head.

I think the bronze and iron pledge is part of it and its a part of the Tree Knight story.  She doesn't know the same magic as her dad.  Bran's story about green men having green skin and leaves for hair does sound like a glamour.  Putting on a greathelm is akin to putting on someone else's face if you can draw out their 'seeming' and use it.

5 minutes ago, Tucu said:

A couple of quotes about Maynard Plumm to look at BR's glamors:

cast&shadow

It might make you a more difficult target to hit if your eyes see  shifting shadows or images.

15 hours ago, LynnS said:

I am old fashioned this way.  I prefer a beautiful book in my hands, artwork, etc.  It was well worth the money I paid for it and I'm missing it at the moment, having leant it to my niece.   I do love maps and my next purchase will likely be the Atlas of Ice and Fire.

You mean "the lands of ice and fire" i presume , if you do and you have space to hang the maps on your walls then i would advice you frame them because the maps tear at folds very easy.

16 minutes ago, direpupy said:

You mean "the lands of ice and fire" i presume , if you do and you have space to hang the maps on your walls then i would advice you frame them because the maps tear at folds very easy.

Well I meant these, but I guess they are not in book form:

Atlas of Ice and Fire | The geography and maps of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire and other fantasy worlds (wordpress.com)

The Lands of Ice and Fire - the maps of Game of Thrones (fantasticmaps.com)

@Frey family reunion  There is another option on the table now for Howland to use one of his magics:  weaving words meaning casting a glamour thanks to @Melifeather and @Tucu

He may even be able to draw memories of jousting from the previous owner of the greathelm; something that Melisandre explains when she talks about using certain objects to create glamours.   Tucu points out that glamours have been used at tourneys in the Dunk and Egg novels.  They trick the eye of your opponent.  

If Howland can confuse his opponents this way; his small size becomes an advantage making him a more difficult target to hit.

The disadvantage of skinchanging if Lyanna is riding the horse is that her consciousness would no longer be in her own body and she would only have control of the horse.

If Howland uses his own magic to weave words, does he really need Lyanna to control the horse?

47 minutes ago, LynnS said:

No Atlas is a website made by a fan and Lands are loose maps.

6 hours ago, LynnS said:

If Howland uses his own magic to weave words, does he really need Lyanna to control the horse?

A Feast for Crows - Jaime II

Ser Tallad the Tall lost his mount when the sandbag came around and thumped him in the head. Strongboar struck the shield so hard he cracked it. Kennos of Kayce finished the destruction. A new shield was hung for Ser Dermot of the Rainwood. Lambert Turnberry only struck a glancing blow, but Beardless Jon Bettley, Humfrey Swyft, and Alyn Stackspear all scored solid hits, and Red Ronnet Connington broke his lance clean. Then the Knight of Flowers mounted up and put the others all to shame.

Jousting was three-quarters horsemanship, Jaime had always believed. Ser Loras rode superbly, and handled a lance as if he'd been born holding one . . . which no doubt accounted for his mother's pinched expression. He puts the point just where he means to put it, and seems to have the balance of a cat. Perhaps it was not such a fluke that he unhorsed me. It was a shame that he would never have the chance to try the boy again. He left the whole men to their sport.

18 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Did she skinchange the opponents horses?

I guess its possible, but don't skinchangers have to have some type of relationship with the animal? I'm assuming Howland rode Lyanna's horse.

Archived