Heresy 242 The Other Starks

Black Crow

7 hours ago, Precioushobbits said:

What if Stark isn’t a family name, but a title or type of being. Then there always has to be a Stark in Winterfell could have a whole new meaning. As well as the merging of Northern bloodlines into one house. What if they are sharing the burden of a curse?

Oh we miserable heretics are pretty sure that there's a curse attaching to the Starks and their version of the Musgrave Ritual 

20 hours ago, Melifeather said:

I'm afraid the family name has been lost through time. The Dunstin's claim descent and have been bannermen of the Starks since the First King died. They reside at Barrowton and their sigil is of a rusted crown so "Dustin" is as good as any guess.

If the Dustins are really Barrow Kings then it throws an interesting light on Lady Dustin's obsession with bones and her keenness to gain access to the Winterfell crypts

3 hours ago, Black Crow said:

If the Dustins are really Barrow Kings then it throws an interesting light on Lady Dustin's obsession with bones and her keenness to gain access to the Winterfell crypts

... and what she plans to do with Ned's bones.

I don't think Lady Barbary wants to raise any Starks. If anything the old First King may be entombed with his closest followers down in the lower level. What better way to make sure your enemy doesn't resurface than to constantly guard their bones? THIS might be the real reason why a Stark must always be in Winterfell - to prevent the Barrow Kings from rising.

7 hours ago, Melifeather said:

I don't think Lady Barbary wants to raise any Starks. If anything the old First King may be entombed with his closest followers down in the lower level. What better way to make sure your enemy doesn't resurface than to constantly guard their bones? THIS might be the real reason why a Stark must always be in Winterfell - to prevent the Barrow Kings from rising.

I like this idea. It seems to fit with Mance opening graves North of the walk and his ploy in Winterfell. I have a suspicion that he never planned to escape with the "washerwomen" but used the opportunity to get into Winterfell and the crypts.

17 hours ago, alienarea said:

I like this idea. It seems to fit with Mance opening graves North of the walk and his ploy in Winterfell. I have a suspicion that he never planned to escape with the "washerwomen" but used the opportunity to get into Winterfell and the crypts.

When Lady Barbary described seeing her blood on Brandon’s "sword"…in retrospect it now seems symbolic of a Stark slaying a Dustin.

This idea of the Starks guarding the bones of their enemies - the Barrow Kings...

Guarding food and highly coveted objects is something dogs have been doing for ages. In Norse mythology the wolf is a symbol of savagery and an emblem of power and strength. The Berserk warriors wore wolf skins. The wolf is also linked to the symbolism of the devourer. Perhaps this is the origin for the tales of the Others eating the flesh of humans and of the Starks hanging the entrails of their enemies in the trees?

In Greek mythology there is a multi-headed dog that guards the gates to the Underworld. Back to Norse mythology, the Hellhound embodies a guardian or servant of hell.

It would be in line with other Norse mythologies that we have noticed that are associated with Starks if they were guarding the bones of enemies that they had killed and placed them in a cache/crypt.

7 hours ago, Black Crow said:

I don't think that they're necessarily the bones of their enemies. I still think that they're Starks

Bran did tell us that. 

After that, oddly, Rickon decided he liked the Walders. They never played lord of the crossing again, but they played other games—monsters and maidens, rats and cats, come-into-my-castle, all sorts of things. With Rickon by their side, the Walders plundered the kitchens for pies and honeycombs, raced round the walls, tossed bones to the pups in the kennels, and trained with wooden swords under Ser Rodrik's sharp eye. Rickon even showed them the deep vaults under the earth where the stonemason was carving father's tomb. "You had no right!" Bran screamed at his brother when he heard. "That was our place, a Stark place!" But Rickon never cared.

All things are possible, but there's no reason to think they're not and Lady Dustin's purpose does seem hostile

Just as an aside, I suspect that when somebody does go down there the nasty thing in the woodshed won't be collapsed ceilings or tunnels. That's just the story told to discourage visitors

4 hours ago, Black Crow said:

All things are possible, but there's no reason to think they're not and Lady Dustin's purpose does seem hostile

Just as an aside, I suspect that when somebody does go down there the nasty thing in the woodshed won't be collapsed ceilings or tunnels. That's just the story told to discourage visitors

If Lady Dustin's motives are hostile, for what purpose does she want Stark bones? You can't hurt a ghost.

I guess the tv show isn't a reliable source for predictions.

I do not believe that we get a Night's King 2.0 in the books, and I do not think that Arya will be the one to end the White Walkers.

What I can imagine is that the  threat of the White Walkers will be ended at Winterfell.

Maybe by killing someone in the crypts who isn't really dead?

Like Bloodraven ...

18 hours ago, Melifeather said:

I’m talking about the lower levels of the crypts. The levels above are Starks, but the older collapsed level may not be Starks.

12 hours ago, Black Crow said:

35 minutes ago, alienarea said:

Maybe by killing someone in the crypts who isn't really dead?

Like Bloodraven ...

Possible foreshadowing here?  But of what though?

When the spirit stepped out of the open tomb, pale white and moaning for blood, Sansa ran shrieking for the stairs, and Bran wrapped himself around Robb's leg, sobbing. Arya stood her ground and gave the spirit a punch. It was only Jon, covered with flour. "You stupid," she told him, "you scared the baby," but Jon and Robb just laughed and laughed, and pretty soon Bran and Arya were laughing too.

17 hours ago, Melifeather said:

If Lady Dustin's motives are hostile, for what purpose does she want Stark bones? You can't hurt a ghost.

Aux Contraire. So much of this story is about using and abusing the dead

9 hours ago, Black Crow said:

There is also a lot going on about maternal bloodlines and this secrecy about Mrs. Rickard Stark.

And like Jon Snow, Ned knows nothing.

Maybe he woke something by putting Lyanna's bones in the crypts?

10 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Yes, north of the Wall corpses are reanimated as wights. South of the Wall Melisandre used bones to create a glamour. So you think Lady Barbary is like Melisandre? Or what do you envision that she will do to Ned's bones? 

3 hours ago, Melifeather said:

Yes, north of the Wall corpses are reanimated as wights. South of the Wall Melisandre used bones to create a glamour. So you think Lady Barbary is like Melisandre? Or what do you envision that she will do to Ned's bones? 

Looks like she wanted her husband's bones for a reason, doesn't it?

We have wildlings crossing the wall for raids, maybe there are still connections?

We never learned what Osha was up to, did we?

Archived