Tyrion Lannister: Good or Bad, or Something in Between?

Jaenara Belarys

On 7/26/2022 at 2:22 PM, Hrulj said:

You should come up with more inovative insults. Let’s now find a way to make a serial rapist and sexual abuser into a protagonist because he doesn’t remind us of our dad 

That's what you're doing with Tywin. He was all of the things you accuse Tyrion of being, as well as a monumental hypocrite, since he happily paid Shae for her services, and most likely others prostitutes on the down low. 

Your comments about rape in this series reminds me of comments made by right-wing politicians in my own country to the effect of "just lay back and enjoy it if you get raped." I assure you George R. R. Martin didn't add these details about Tywin's life and career in order to sing his praises. You are entirely missing the point that Tywin was meant to be a villian just as much as Tyrion is. 

• 10 months later...
On 7/25/2022 at 4:08 PM, Hrulj said:

1. There are no non-combatants. All there are members of a household or sworn to serve it and followed them into rebellion. Fact no one rebelled afterwards against him is a show of what a great decision that had been.

It's because his buddy Aerys became King.

2. Shouldn't have stollen and humiliated his dead mother and ordered people above her station around. Parading a woman naked is a common westerosi punishment for scandalous behavior. 

It's not.

3. Doesn't matter to me. Both her and Tyrion should know better

It's true but the way Tywin dealt with it is incorrect, making Tyrion into the creature he is now.

4. It's part of life, not 21st century. 

It's not a Westerosi norm, nor was in a norm in real medieval world.

9. So? Ned spared children and led tens if not hundreds of thousands to death. Even today I'd happily pull the train switch onto one kid to save hundreds of thousands of people from same train.

Tywin didn't raise his children properly and it led to tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dead.

8 minutes ago, csuszka1948 said:

It's because his buddy Aerys became King.

It's not.

It's true but the way Tywin dealt with it is incorrect, making Tyrion into the creature he is now.

It's not a Westerosi norm, nor was in a norm in real medieval world.

Tywin didn't raise his children properly and it led to tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dead.

Apologism for rape, child murder, and slavery all cross a line, I think.

Just now, SeanF said:

Apologism for rape, child murder, and slavery all cross a line, I think.

His defense of slavery is at least based on some kind of philosophical 'greater good' (even though I think the medieval ages also has that 'leisure elites', just they worked as religious monks), the rest I don't really understand though.

I don't think the treatment of Tyrion and Tysha was common of the real medieval ages and he judges Tywin with the benefit of hindsight that "he won", not taking into account that his main contribution of winning was sending Tyrion to KL and he spent the first two books outfoxed by Robb and beaten by Edmure.

2 minutes ago, csuszka1948 said:

His defense of slavery is at least based on some kind of philosophical 'greater good' (even though I think the medieval ages also has that 'leisure elites', just they worked as religious monks), the rest I don't really understand though.

I don't think the treatment of Tyrion and Tysha was common of the real medieval ages and he judges Tywin with the benefit of hindsight that "he won", not taking into account that his main contribution of winning was sending Tyrion to KL and he spent the first two books outfoxed by Robb and beaten by Edmure.

And, Tywin’s victory was fleeting.