US Politics: Elections, Defections, Insurrections, Oh My!

Durckad

I had occured to me momentarily as of yesterday that this pos had been rather mia from the media lately.  Today, this shoggoth returns, of course.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Heckled as She Basks Outside the Supreme Court

P.O.S.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/marjorie-taylor-greene-heckled-by-abortion-protesters-while-celebrating-roe-v-wade-decision-at-supreme-court?ref=home?ref=home

Wonder how all this will work out for the female employees of corps like Caterpillar, who is moving from Illinois to TX?  Abortion is covered in the insurance benefits.

Then the BBC decides to interview an Oklahoma Antiabortion legislator -- female -- about the decision, who out and out lies about what this means for women -- this preserves women's lives, doesn't kill them.  But then, this woman won 't even talk about the woman, only the 5 year old child.

Just FYI to all: MIcrosoft has a similar policy to the above, though it's been in place for a while. I believe it's up to $10k in reimbursement for abortion and gender assigning surgeries for travel stuff. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/microsoft-help-cover-us-employees-travel-costs-abortion-2022-05-10/

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I don't believe the US will become a full authoritarian state without a full blown civil war. And a new civil war has a strong chance of drawing in NATO members, Canada especially and likely the UK, because they won't want a government they don't wish to recognize in possession of the nuclear arsenal. Thus WWIII. But that's a nightmare scenario I hope never comes close to happening.

Oh my dear God

I've never thought about that happening but wow...I just got chills reading this. Because it's soooo true.

38 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yeah the US is a sh*t show, Biden is pretty ineffectual, polarization is tearing this country apart and the Supreme Court is accelerating the decline of this nation into third world status.

The bigger issue here is the polarization.

It's starting to get bad. I've never thought that I would see Supreme Court justices publicly feuding with each other and with the president while weathering assassination attempts and acts of subterfuge

36 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I had occured to me momentarily as of yesterday that this pos had been rather mia from the media lately.  Today, this shoggoth returns, of course.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Heckled as She Basks Outside the Supreme Court

P.O.S.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/marjorie-taylor-greene-heckled-by-abortion-protesters-while-celebrating-roe-v-wade-decision-at-supreme-court?ref=home?ref=home

Wonder how all this will work out for the female employees of corps like Caterpillar, who is moving from Illinois to TX?  Abortion is covered in the insurance benefits.

Then the BBC decides to interview an Oklahoma Antiabortion legislator -- female -- about the decision, who out and out lies about what this means for women -- this preserves women's lives, doesn't kill them.  But then, this woman won 't even talk about the woman, only the 5 year old child.

The good thing about it is that - if anything - it will get people more involved in their state elections. States can still make abortions available if they so choose and that people can show up and vote for state congressman who will make pro-abortion laws.

The more immediate bad thing about this is all of the insurance conflicts and medical issues that are bound to happen. Someone in Idaho who wants an abortion will have to travel to Washington or Oregon in order to get one...and they'll probably have to pay out of pocket. At least for now.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I don't see Roberts and Kavanaugh striking down most provisions in the bill.  Maybe the red flag measures.

I don't think it's possible to make any kind of predictive judgement of anything out of the Supreme Court any longer.  Seems pretty clear that, regardless of how they might personally feel on an issue from case to case, the most likely outcome is now going to be firmly entrenched in what conservatives want, regardless of sense.

There is zero legitimacy to this court currently.

Archived