Cricket 44: Abrar-Cadabra

Denvek

There’s a bit more in it for the bowlers this morning but I’d say conditions are stil pretty benign. England are trying to apply more pressure with their fields than Australia did though.

ETA: Harry Brook in to bowl with the relatively new ball against Steve Smith. What is happening?

Edited by ljkeane

Had my doubts about Cam Green but love a batsman like him - he doesn't look great doing it, but there's so much graft behind his batting today even though he's only on like 30+ at the moment.

You gotta respect it

His batting reminds me of Kaif, in a sense

Edited by Raja

F

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

While the other batsmen got all the hype and got out, he has held the innings together. 

yeah

I think it's been a really fun day to watch. has had runs & wickets.

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

ETA: Harry Brook in to bowl with the relatively new ball against Steve Smith. What is happening?

I did enjoy Bairstow hyping him up for the later spell while Khawaja giggled at the crease.

So England have played pretty well, bowling Australia out for below 400 is a good result on that pitch, but it does feel like a bit of a missed opportunity. The declaration on Friday you'd think probably left 20-40 runs off the board for England and the missed chances in the field/Broad no ball has given Australia maybe a 100 more runs than they might have ended up with. Throw in Ali's problems with his spinning finger Australia are in a far better position than they could easily have been in.

Well that all wrapped up very quickly. I do feel the Australian tail is quite weak without Starc in there. Cummins and Lyon might have their moments occasionally but at 8 and 9 they are both batting one place too high.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

So England have played pretty well, bowling Australia out for below 400 is a good result on that pitch, but it does feel like a bit of a missed opportunity. The declaration on Friday you'd think probably left 20-40 runs off the board for England and the missed chances in the field/Broad no ball has given Australia maybe a 100 more runs than they might have ended up with. Throw in Ali's problems with his spinning finger Australia are in a far better position than they could easily have been in.

Yes, England have generally had the better of the game and should be in a better position than just par. Australia will be happy with the scoreboard given what it could have been.

It is a super interesting series given both sides being in good form and putting up strong teams. Australia of the past 20 years have always had some problems batting in English conditions, so it will be confidence-boosting that they scored near 400 here in their first go. The batsmen will be wanting to put pressure on the ageing English attack, it's an intense series in a short amount of time.

On the other hand it's clear England also have a much stronger batting lineup but they'll be tested against a good Australian bowling unit. Lyon may end up being the difference in terms of offering bowling variation and x-factor.

12 minutes ago, Raja said:

Have generally enjoyed Ponting as a pundit and a commentator

Yeah, he’s been good. Sky’s cricket coverage in general is probably the best thing they do. It’s just a shame it’s unavailable to so many people.

That little window in the rain really hasn’t helped England’s chances.

Bazball misfiring a bit today.

Australia now have a good chance of winning this test. 

ETA: Having said that, there are actually not many successful run chases over 200 at this ground. England got 378 last year on the back of Jonny's brilliance. SA chased 281 back in 2008. The next highest is only 208. 

Edited by Paxter

Not many of the pitches were like this I suspect though. Also Moeen’s probably not in much of a condition to bowl. I haven’t been able to watch too much of today but feels like it’s advantage Australia.