Cycling 2023 - are the big 6 beatable?

BigFatCoward

18 hours ago, karaddin said:

Yeah this is looking very interesting now. Hindley seemed pretty confused and amused the they let him go like that.

I like how you came out of the woodwork as soon as the Aussie is doing well. 

Another important day, up and down all day long, Tourmalet is over used, but its still a great climb. 

Pogacar needs to hang on and not drop any more time and hope he rides into form.  Hindley should just Glue himself to Vingegaard and hope he can stick with him. 

Yeah over the top of the tourmalet and Jonas and pog look like they are in a different race to the rest of the field pulled 2 minutes in no time. Will be interesting to see if they can come back at those 2 on the last climb but that's for later on because I need sleep

15 hours ago, lmanion said:

Yeah over the top of the tourmalet and Jonas and pog look like they are in a different race to the rest of the field pulled 2 minutes in no time. Will be interesting to see if they can come back at those 2 on the last climb but that's for later on because I need sleep

i'm going to miss the final climb, need to leave work in 15 mins and will be underground without a signal.  I'm hoping Pog can just hang on to keep it interesting. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I like how you came out of the woodwork as soon as the Aussie is doing well. 

Lol I actually thought I replied after day 2 or 3 but apparently I fell asleep without hitting post. Fantastic tour so far from an entertainment perspective, so much aggression and switch ups going on and I'm really liking these mountain stages earlier in the program.

I bet Cav is cursing them though.

47 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

i'm going to miss the final climb, need to leave work in 15 mins and will be underground without a signal.  I'm hoping Pog can just hand on to keep it interesting. 

Even better than you hoped! Jumbo looking the stronger team, but hard to call between the big 2 after today - maybe Pog just needed the struggle yesterday to really start riding into form. 

Really looking forward to Puy de dôme on Sunday night.

Today is dull. Bet everyone is very releived. 

I cant wait for sunday up puy de dome I wonder how it will he raced and whether Jumbo change tactics.

I think Hndley went deep on weds and will be able to hang with the 2 favourites better as the race goes on, but he always gets better during a grand tour so this Sunday might be too soon, and the profile doesn't really suit him. 

Rodriguez and S Yates look his only challengers for 3rd. 

I thought he was in better condition after Weds because he still seemed so animated after the finish rather than completely and utterly wiped like Pog and Vingegaard last night. I guess that's just the high of your first tour stage win and getting yellow haha. It was a lot of time, but he's still within striking distance at least, so hope to see him at least keep the big 2 on edge.

Yeah thats rough. About as ignominious (in his head, not reality) as it gets, a nothing crash at low speed with no one else going down and hitting at just the wrong angle.

He looks understandably shattered in the ambulance.

Have to wonder if he could have held on another 500m without the pain and wasted energy from the bee sting. Really says something about the difficulty of the climb that he was caught and passed by 3 different riders in that 500m and lost 40s to the winner in that little distance.

That kick up to 14% just before the finish looked particularly brutal.

And whatever ends up happening, Pog and Vingegaard both can rest comfortably knowing that they're genuinely earning it - their teams are only taking them so far and they're carrying the finish and the competition between them on their own backs.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

todays stage is up and down all day, i imagine there will be carnage trying to get into the break of the day and it could throw up some interesting developments.  

That didn't take long to throw up a very interesting development

Stage 13 and 14 were not quite as I had expected. UAE did all the work just for Pogacar gaining 8 seconds on a stage that favoured him? And today I thought Jumbo Visma would be more dominating in the end and Vingegaard would be the one to attack. But van Aert returning for a last stand on the last climb and Vingegard coming back after Pogacar's attack was really thrilling.

Edited by The Wondering Wolf

1 hour ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

And today I thought Jumbo Visma would be more dominating in the end and Vingegaard would be the one to attack. But van Aert returning for a last stand on the last climb and Vingegard coming back after Pogacar's attack was really thrilling.

It was a very eventful stage so slightly surreal it all ended up making a 1 second difference to the standings.

Shame that Hindley got caught up in the crash because I don't think he loses that sort of time without the crash, Rodriguez looks in the box seat for the final podium position now, I think he's a better TT than Hindley.

Pogacar was killed for the bonus on top of the last mountain by the motorbikes I think he was looking for one of those big attacks to make a gap onto the false flat. This tour really looks like going down to the TT between the top 2, although there is still a lot of climbing to go it seems like they are at really similar levels to each other.