Mad Theories

KingAerys_II

One of my favourite 'mad theories' - you do not need Valyrian blood to tame a Dragon. They can be tamed like any other wild animals in the way Nettles did it - with food. This explains why someone potentially not having Valyrian blood could tame Sheepstealer. This also explains why Jaehaerys I was so concerned about Braavos having the unhatched Dragon eggs.

Just now, Craving Peaches said:
  • There is a Big Conspiracy to obscure historical dates and figures to make the true time(scale over which) events occurred unclear for some reason (not sure why...) (like this: Phantom time conspiracy theory - Wikipedia but in Westeros)
  •  

Actually...

"How many years have you?" the waif asked her once, in the Common Tongue. "Ten," said Arya, and raised ten fingers. She thought she was still ten, though it was hard to know for certain. The Braavosi counted days differently than they did in Westeros. For all she knew her name day had come and gone.

Andals may also have counted it differently than First Men and their coming distorted it.

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:
  • Brandon the Shipwright survived and founded a colony on the 'New World' equivalent in Planetos

Can't find my post on it, but...

This would-be king was a tall spare lord with a melancholy visage, his lantern jaw shaved clean. His three champions took up their position two steps below him, bearing his sword and shield and banner. They shared a certain look with the tall lord, and Aeron took them for his sons. One unfurled his banner, a great black longship against a setting sun. "I am Gylbert Farwynd, Lord of the Lonely Light," the lord told the kingsmoot.

Aeron knew some Farwynds, a queer folk who held lands on the westernmost shores of Great Wyk and the scattered isles beyond, rocks so small that most could support but a single household. Of those, the Lonely Light was the most distant, eight days' sail to the northwest amongst rookeries of seals and sea lions and the boundless grey oceans. The Farwynds there were even queerer than the rest. Some said they were skinchangers, unholy creatures who could take on the forms of sea lions, walruses, even spotted whales, the wolves of the wild sea.

Lord Gylbert began to speak. He told of a wondrous land beyond the Sunset Sea, a land without winter or want, where death had no dominion. "Make me your king, and I shall lead you there," he cried. "We will build ten thousand ships as Nymeria once did and take sail with all our people to the land beyond the sunset. There every man shall be a king and every wife a queen."

His eyes, Aeron saw, were now grey, now blue, as changeable as the seas. Mad eyes, he thought, fool's eyes. The vision he spoke of was doubtless a snare set by the Storm God to lure the ironborn to destruction. The offerings that his men spilled out before the kingsmoot included sealskins and walrus tusks, arm rings made of whalebone, warhorns banded in bronze. The captains looked and turned away, leaving lesser men to help themselves to the gifts. When the fool was done talking and his champions began to shout his name, only the Farwynds took up the cry, and not even all of them. Soon enough the cries of "Gylbert! Gylbert King!" faded away to silence. The gull screamed loudly above them, and landed atop one of Nagga's ribs as the Lord of the Lonely Light made his way back down the hill.

Remind you of any houses?

Theories I've seen that almost make sense, until they don't: 

Marwyn is a blood mage intending to sacrifice Mance's son as part of a ritual involving king's blood.  Don't ask how he knows.

Daario and the Stormcrows are the ones actually responsible for the 163 slave children outside Meereen.  Don't ask why.

Sansa's ride with Joffrey was a plot to murder her, interrupted by Arya's arrival.  Or maybe it was an attempt to portray her as sexually promiscuous (at 11!)

The Kingsguards at the Tower of Joy survived and secretly joined the Nights Watch.  Qhorin was one, I think Mance was another.

Ashara Dayne is Jyanna Reed and Septa Lemore.  She had kids with Howland, her true love, and then took off to help Aegon, the true king.  (Ok, I made that one up.  I get to have my cake and eat it too :D).

27 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Lightbringer = reproductive organ is my new favorite and it is a weapon that will be exposed to reject the Others

I've always figured Lightbringer was a sword ( unless it's the NW), just not that kind of sword.  Any votes for Needle?

Benjen is not only Daario, he's also Coldhands and the Hooded Man.  He's apparently using Littlefinger's teleportation device from the show.

2 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Daario and the Stormcrows are the ones actually responsible for the 163 slave children outside Meereen.  Don't ask why.

It is possible that Daario was stringing them up rather than taking them down when Daenerys got there, but I would struggle to find a motive for Daario. I know he's said to be violent and all but I don't think that means he'd just kill slave children for no reason...

4 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Marwyn is a blood mage intending to sacrifice Mance's son as part of a ritual involving king's blood. 

Where did you hear this?

5 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Sansa's ride with Joffrey was a plot to murder her, interrupted by Arya's arrival.

Heard that one before but I don't think even Joffrey would want to kill Sansa when he'd only just met her. Book Joffrey seems to be slightly less of a psycho than other Joffrey who was shooting prostitutes with a crossbow seemingly just for the sake of it.

7 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

It is possible that Daario was stringing them up rather than taking them down when Daenerys got there, but I would struggle to find a motive for Daario. I know he's said to be violent and all but I don't think that means he'd just kill slave children for no reason...

Where did you hear this?

Heard that one before but I don't think even Joffrey would want to kill Sansa when he'd only just met her. Book Joffrey seems to be slightly less of a psycho than other Joffrey who was shooting prostitutes with a crossbow seemingly just for the sake of it.

Daario: I would have thought someone would notice something.  That's a lot of kids to get hold of if you can't bring them from Meereen.  Plus if Martin was going to do this we should have heard emphatic denials from the Meereenese.

Marwyn: I saw it here a few years ago.  I don't remember who, but haven't seen them recently.

Sansa: Supposedly, Cersei put him up to it.  The meeting with the councillors was a ruse.  Apparently she saw Sansa as a rival or something like that.

4 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Sansa: Supposedly, Cersei put him up to it.  The meeting with the councillors was a ruse.  Apparently she saw Sansa as a rival or something like that.

Cersei seeing Sansa as a rival doesn't really match her behaviour later on (giving Sansa advice). I don't think Cersei is stupid enough to tell the Crown Prince to kill the Warden of the North's daughter, especially since this is relatively more competent AGOT Cersei. There's not really a good reason for Cersei to do this since it just makes her son look like a psycho (and she'd probably be blamed for it) and could backfire on her (she notes Robert is looking for an excuse to dump her), if she wants Sansa out of the way she has better options that don't permanently damage her son's reputation. At the very least, if Cersei wanted to go through with a brain-dead (even by her standards) plan like that I would think she would get Jaime to do it, not Joffrey. And if the meeting was a ruse, I feel like one of the councilors involved (Barristan, Renly) would have mentioned it at some point.

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

Jon is the result of a millennia-old secret breeding project

Wait, wrong series, that's Paul Atreides from Dune.  

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

Planetos is flat

That's Discworld, right?  Folks are just recycling other stories.  

38 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Benjen is not only Daario, he's also Coldhands and the Hooded Man.  He's apparently using Littlefinger's teleportation device from the show.

And Moonboy for all we know.  

40 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Ashara Dayne is Jyanna Reed and Septa Lemore.  She had kids with Howland, her true love, and then took off to help Aegon, the true king.  (Ok, I made that one up.  I get to have my cake and eat it too :D).

Why should Benjen have all the hidden identity fun?

Lots of hilarious theories.   

6 minutes ago, LongRider said:

That's Discworld, right?  Folks are just recycling other stories.  

Actually, I think it had something to do with the rumour you could see the Wall from on top of the Hightower, which if true, would to my knowledge suggest that either the planet Westeros is on is really big (so less curvature for Westeros) or it is flat. Of course if the rumour is true then realistically Westeros would probably have to be a lot smaller than we are told as well, or everyone in Westeros has really good eyesight, or both.

Edited by Craving Peaches

13 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Cersei seeing Sansa as a rival doesn't really match her behaviour later on (giving Sansa advice). I don't think Cersei is stupid enough to tell the Crown Prince to kill the Warden of the North's daughter, especially since this is relatively more competent AGOT Cersei. There's not really a good reason for Cersei to do this since it just makes her son look like a psycho (and she'd probably be blamed for it) and could backfire on her (she notes Robert is looking for an excuse to dump her), if she wants Sansa out of the way she has better options that don't permanently damage her son's reputation. At the very least, if Cersei wanted to go through with a brain-dead (even by her standards) plan like that I would think she would get Jaime to do it, not Joffrey. And if the meeting was a ruse, I feel like one of the councilors involved (Barristan, Renly) would have mentioned it at some point.

It's been a few years since I saw it so I'm a little fuzzy on details

. I remember having a long list of objections as well.  The debate went on for some weeks.  John Suburbs was its proponent, if you're wondering.

Edited by Nevets

2 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Actually, I think it had something to do with the rumour you could see the Wall from on top of the Hightower, which if true, would to my knowledge suggest that either the planet Westeros is on is really big (so less curvature for Westeros) or it is flat.

Ah, I see that.