Will we see Lys?

Yes, I do think we will see Lys

Not sure that we will see it in a Dany POV (most likely, it'll be a Victarion POV) but we will stop in Lys

Not only is Edric Storm is making a comeback, but the mystery that is Varys the Spider begins in Lys. GRRM said a while ago that Varys' backstory would be revealed in A Dream of Spring

On 7/9/2023 at 3:19 AM, SaffronLady said:

You are reading notions that did not exist into the text

How can you be sure of that? Ideas of race absolutely did exist in the past, and with all the conflict going on, ideas of supremacy must have kept bubbling up too.

You might prefer a more tightly defined 'racial supremacy', based on science, but it gets to be a problem in everyday conversation when words no longer mean what they appear to mean, and the non-academic speaker is silenced.

On 7/9/2023 at 11:53 AM, SaffronLady said:

Viserys and Targs in general are of course bloodline supremacists, but they were not racist because while all known dragonriders were Valyrians, not all known Valyrians were dragonriders.

Definitions again. How many people do you need to count as a race? Do they need to exclusively occupy a territory?

I don't think it's about that in this case. I think bloodmages/whatever long ago set out to breed a sub-set of humanity that could control dragons, and that they genetically/whatever spliced humans with beasts to do it. There's your race. Probably incest wasn't necessary in Valyria where the so-called golden blood was common, but the Doom caused a severe genetic bottleneck, since when the Targs have been breeding themselves like pedigree dogs.

13 hours ago, Springwatch said:

it gets to be a problem in everyday conversation when words no longer mean what they appear to mean, and the non-academic speaker is silenced.

And the problem does not exist in this context. Dragonriders are super. Dragonriders jockeyed for power as top ruler of Valyria. Dragonriders thought of themselves as gods. Dragonriders are obsessed with this blood of the dragon thing.

You see that with the Velaryons and Celtigars? I think not. It's not a story the other Valyrians could tell you. It's a dragonlord legend.

On 7/7/2023 at 10:44 AM, Craving Peaches said:

Edric Storm is currently in the city, and Daenerys could stop by on her way to Westeros. I think it would be interesting to see, even for just a chapter or two (I would love to see Qohor but none of the characters look to be going there any time soon). We have already seen Braavos, Pentos, Volantis and Norvos in Areo Hotah's memory. That leaves Lorath, Lys, Myr, Qohor and Tyrosh unvisited. Of all of them, Lys seems most likely to feature in a POV. Of course there is no requirement to visit all the Free Cities, but they are interesting.

I picture Lys as a mix of ancient Greece and the island of Summerset from ESO. I'd love to see it as well.

On 7/9/2023 at 5:29 AM, Craving Peaches said:

Speaking of blood, I was surprised the Durrandons/Baratheons did not seem to make more of a deal about how they are supposedly descended from gods.

:rofl: I feel like most people, especially at this point in the story, are just genuinely unimpressed by it. At least Westeros is, since they witnessed the last (possibly) dragonlord family basically die out. Occasionally we see someone vaunt about their "drop of dragonblood", but it's usually met with a rather bored reaction lmao.

"...So I have a little dragon in me." "Yes, I almost mistook you for Aegon the Conqueror," Jaime answered. -AFFC Jaime I

I think about this a lot.

Edited by Ser Arthurs Dawn

On 7/10/2023 at 8:20 AM, Craving Peaches said:

I really want to see some serious magical feats from houses other than Targaryen.

Your wish is already coming true. I've never felt that House Targaryen was unique when it came to magic. Other houses are tied to their "own unique" magic, but it's more subtle. After all, magic lives and evolves within their planetos. The Valyrians simply took the greatest advantage they possibly could with it, which is why their world (and unfortunately readers) look at them like gods. Their own downfall and failures should have taught us otherwise by now. They took it too far though, and they abused it.

Someone on r/asoiaf put together an extensive list of magic and magic users in asoiaf. Magic is everywhere, and different peoples and races have utilized it in vastly different ways. Personally, I'm most interested in the greenseers. Bran, Jojen, and Bloodraven. It's been theorized that Sweetrobin is a greenseer, but I won't be convinced until we see some evidence. I'd also love if GRRM brings back the water magic of the Rhoynar.

On 7/7/2023 at 5:44 PM, Craving Peaches said:

Edric Storm is currently in the city, and Daenerys could stop by on her way to Westeros. I think it would be interesting to see, even for just a chapter or two (I would love to see Qohor but none of the characters look to be going there any time soon). We have already seen Braavos, Pentos, Volantis and Norvos in Areo Hotah's memory. That leaves Lorath, Lys, Myr, Qohor and Tyrosh unvisited. Of all of them, Lys seems most likely to feature in a POV. Of course there is no requirement to visit all the Free Cities, but they are interesting.

I am fairly convinced that Dany is going to burn her way across Essos. That may include Lys but probably not: So far there are not a lot of characters or story threads leading in that direction, so the only thing that might bring Dany there is some offensive slavery practice that simply must be purged by fire. It is more likely that we will HEAR about Lys because it will experience slave revolts she inspired rather than being directly involved in.

Edric Storm was there, but I think when we see him again he will not be anymore. I think he may be a part of how Young Griff/Aegon takes Storm's End, and will therefore be re-installed as part of the Southern Golden Company invasion.

If I had to guess which cities we are more likely to see or see again from a different POV, it would be Tyrosh (because of the involvement of Tyrosh in Illyrio and/or Doran Martell's plots), Pentos (because of Illyrio and also the Tattered Prince's burning desire for revenge there and Volantis (because Tyrion wants access to their books and because they are the heart of the brewing slave revolts). 

On 7/10/2023 at 3:20 PM, Craving Peaches said:

I really want to see some serious magical feats from houses other than Targaryen.

I think what it comes down to is blood magic being tied to bloodlines, which are both male and female. The Targaryen carry "blood of the dragon" but they are not the only House (houses are patrilineal only) that does at this point. The blood of the dragon is linked specifically to FIRE, and it can be found in any House descended from Baela or Rhaena, Daena, Elaena and their sister Rhaena (if she had children before becoming a septa) among others. None of these are actually called "Targaryen".

Beyond the blood of the dragon, tied to fire, there are, IMO, other bloodlines that are tied to other types of blood magic. There are certainly hints that the Starks also in the past practiced human sacrifice, linking them to their own form of blood magic. Very probably they have some kind of magical connection to the animating force of the White Walkers, even if they are fighting on the side of the living in current times. I have a nagging suspicion that the current WW threat was actually triggered when Rickard and Brandon were killed.

Similarly, those descended from Nymeria may have a connection to water magic of the kind that the Rhoynar used, and others may have a connection to magic related to Storms and Tides (Euron?). The Blackwoods are the family with the most evidence of magic, and they are clearly linked to ravens and greenseeing in some way. As the current Starks descend from Blackwoods, they may carry both kinds of magic.

5 hours ago, SaffronLady said:

Wait what? From which generation?

Via Melantha Blackwood who married Willem Stark, and also probably via Alysanne Blackwood who married Cregan Stark. Alysanne had only daughters who would have taken other names when married, but their descendants may have married back into House Stark (Lorra Royce? Marna Locke?). And Blackwoods are also part of the Tully bloodline.

Edited by Hippocras

23 minutes ago, Hippocras said:

Via Melantha Blackwood who married Willem Stark, and also probably via Alysanne Blackwood who married Cregan Stark. Alysanne had only daughters who would have taken other names when married, but their descendants may have married back into House Stark (Lorra Royce? Marna Locke?). And Blackwoods are also part of the Tully bloodline.

Interesting. So Starks in late 200 AC may have ice magic via their connection with the Others and green magic via their own FM ancestry, amplified by the Blackwood marriages. 

7 hours ago, SaffronLady said:

Interesting. So Starks in late 200 AC may have ice magic via their connection with the Others and green magic via their own FM ancestry, amplified by the Blackwood marriages. 

Don't forget about the Lothston/Whent bloodline.

Danelle Lothston was a skinchanger and the Whents are kin to the Lothstons.

The Starks are actually well-positioned to lay claim to Harrenhal because of their Whent heritage by way of their mother.