TTTNE..." title" more research is needed

rocksniffer

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Hear hear! :commie: 

Is that a challenge for the old sniffer? @rocksniffer :leer: :leer: :leer: Have some extra leery emoticons for enouragement!

Its a challenge to @rocksnifferto name this thread something proper,  and a challenge to us to spam more!  :lear:

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

I'm sure you're not meant to call them odd.

They are Teenagers, by definition that mean they are odd.

59 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

:o I just googled to check if I used the phrase right. Bad, bad Bear for making me doubt my language skills!

Although, honestly, I do have trouble thinking of the right words to type right now. I think I should post on the board more to practice my English.

Finally ... yes, what a funny joke. Ha. Ha. Ha. :P 

Odd can be used as peculiar    or informally when estimating a number  eg      20 something odd   (meaning at least 20 but less than 30.  The bigger the initial number the bigger the number range with something odd)

1 hour ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Odd can be used as peculiar    or informally when estimating a number  eg      20 something odd   (meaning at least 20 but less than 30.  The bigger the initial number the bigger the number range with something odd)

Huh. I'd assumed it just meant "approximately" rather than "at least". Though either way, being responsible for that many teenagers is a scary prospect!

it is approximately,  but normally leaning much more to the over number and less to the under the number.

so maybe 20 something odd is more accurately 18 -30       if it was 17 kids you would probably say 15 something odd  and not 20 something odd.

10 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Its a challenge to @rocksnifferto name this thread something proper,  and a challenge to us to spam more!  :lear:

I am not sure what King Lear has to do with it, but sure I can spam more. :leer: :leer:

10 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Yes, that is what I tried to convey - there were just over 20 teenagers in the group I was responsible for. (And a lot more of them in the other group the other teacher was responsible for.)

9 hours ago, felice said:

Though either way, being responsible for that many teenagers is a scary prospect!

It is. I am lucky enough that my particular group of teenagers is generally quite responsible and they haven't done anything particularly outrageous in the two years I've taught them ... yet. *knocks on wood*

In fact, I would find it much scarier to have to be responsible for younger children. At least the almost-grown-ups don't need micromanaging making their beds, getting dressed for the weather and activity, knowing what time it is etc. They mostly know how not to get lost and come to the right place at the time they were told to, and they are much more independent and able to problem solve on their own.

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Sorry FB, I can't use this fucking site on mobile.

I don't think odd implies numbers above or below either. 

In comparison to (in my opinion):

Few: 3

Several: 7

But I also dozen as an approximation, I'll say two dozen and could mean anywhere between 20 and 30.

On 9/10/2023 at 1:29 AM, HexMachina said:

Adding to the confusion, I would say a half dozen buns could mean 6-8, but a half dozen eggs is always 6

Terrible. I don't know how people who use English in their day-to-day life can communicate anything at all.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Terrible. I don't know how people who use English in their day-to-day life can communicate anything at all.

Mostly through passive aggressive corporate speak in my case.

Case in point, signing off an email:

"kind regards" - what it says on the tin.

"regards" - now i'm angry

"[name]" - I have just thrown my colleague out of a window

12 hours ago, HexMachina said:

ha, I misunderstood you then because I thought you were making a loaves and fishes reference 

nope talking about a baker dozen.  which for Bucky is 13  not 12.

the half dozen buns thing being 6 or 8  comes from suasage shapped rolls normally sold in 8 packs and sausages sold in 6 packs.  (although often cheap sausages are sold in 8's and sometimes buns in 6)

12 hours ago, HexMachina said:

"regards" - now i'm angry                      Remember Roose Bolton said to Rob. "Tywin sends his regards"  Stabbity Stab Stab.

warmest regards  - hell really is very warm and thats where I'm sending you.

Edited by Pebble thats Stubby

15 hours ago, HexMachina said:

"regards" - now i'm angry

That sounds ... passive aggressive.

3 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

nope talking about a baker dozen.  which for Bucky is 13  not 12.

:o Why?

In Slovene, using the unit "dozen" sounds very outdated. Nobody uses that as a unit of anything that I know of anymore. Even if things are sold in packages of 12, you would probably say "twelve eggs" than "a dozen eggs".

In other news, we finished the meeting at work faster than I expected, which I am happy about.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

That sounds ... passive aggressive.

:o Why?

In Slovene, using the unit "dozen" sounds very outdated. Nobody uses that as a unit of anything that I know of anymore. Even if things are sold in packages of 12, you would probably say "twelve eggs" than "a dozen eggs".

In other news, we finished the meeting at work faster than I expected, which I am happy about.

because a long time ago there was a law that bread sold had to be a minimum of weight.  now because this was a long time ago punishment for underselling the weight of bread to a customer was very harsh and bakers did not want to be :whip:   they would give people an extra loaf of bread just to make up for any potential low weight on any loaf.  hence you bought 12 loaves they gave you 13.  thus the Bakers dozen.

Repeated offenses could easily result in death.

Edited by Pebble thats Stubby

2 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

because a long time ago there was a law that bread sold had to be a minimum of weight.  now because this was a long time ago punishment for underselling the weight of bread to a customer was very harsh and bakers did not want to be :whip:   they would give people an extra loaf of bread just to make up for any potential low weight on any loaf.  hence you bought 12 loaves they gave you 13.  thus the Bakers dozen.

Repeated offenses could easily result in death.

I did not know that, wow.