Cricket 45: World Cup Fever

Paxter

I was going to start a new thread but England's performance somewhat drained my enthusiasm.

Just in general there seems to be a pretty low level of hype for this tournament. In England it feels bit anticlimactic coming only a couple of months after the end of the Ashes (with the intervening period filled with the Hundred which I actively avoid) but I don't get the impression that there's a lot of enthusiasm for it elsewhere either. I suppose that win might up the hype levels for fans in New Zealand who were probably a bit concerned it was a tournament too far for a number of their players coming in.

That was a very comprehensive victory for New Zealand and I'm sure they took particular satisfaction from it being England that were their opponents. It always looked likely to be an under-par total but Conway and Ravindra looked like they could have chased down a much larger one.

New Zealand always seem to be able to lift themselves when it comes to a tournament.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I was going to start a new thread but England's performance somewhat drained my enthusiasm.

Just in general there seems to be a pretty low level of hype for this tournament. In England it feels bit anticlimactic coming only a couple of months after the end of the Ashes (with the intervening period filled with the Hundred which I actively avoid) but I don't get the impression that there's a lot of enthusiasm for it elsewhere either. I suppose that win might up the hype levels for fans in New Zealand who were probably a bit concerned it was a tournament too far for a number of their players coming in

I think it doesn't help that it's such a long tournament with an interminable group stage.

Clashing with the rugby world cup is also likely to distract some attention.

8 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, also Sri Lanka just don't seem to be very good any more which is a shame.

Yes, they are now ranked no higher than 7th or 8th across the three formats. 

Some of it is due to mean-reversion after the golden generation retired, but some of it is also due to mismanagement akin to what we have seen in the West Indies. 

38 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Yes, they are now ranked no higher than 7th or 8th across the three formats. 

Some of it is due to mean-reversion after the golden generation retired, but some of it is also due to mismanagement akin to what we have seen in the West Indies. 

They also had to come through the qualifying tournament because they hadn't been in the top 8. Go back 20 years and tell people that Sri Lanka and West Indies would be in a qualifying tournament for the world cup while Afghanistan and Bangladesh qualified automatically and they would have thought you were crazy.

In other news, cricket is apparently going to be in the 2028 Olympics. It feels a bit unnecessary for the men's game, I'm not sure the sport really needs another global tournament and I'm generally not keen on most of the big team sports being in the Olympics. I guess it might be more beneficial for the women's game?

14 minutes ago, williamjm said:

In other news, cricket is apparently going to be in the 2028 Olympics. It feels a bit unnecessary for the men's game, I'm not sure the sport really needs another global tournament and I'm generally not keen on most of the big team sports being in the Olympics. I guess it might be more beneficial for the women's game?

Feels like a thinly-veiled attempt to increase the subcontinent TV audience. 

That is exactly right (IOC wanted cricket to tap that market, while LA wanted flag football and baseball/softball, now we have all 3). One of the arguments given is that this will catapult cricket to the world stage, much like basketball after the 92 Olympics when NBA viewership stop up after. That sounds a bit of a laughable proposition to the 'rest of the world'.

Anyway, this World Cup seems to be a bit slow to warm up. Too much cricket is a thing.